It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rate the movie you just watched

page: 26
<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I watched the Mystery Team..

The dialectical nature of a post-modern critique in conflict with a pastiche of comic-book Indie culture was enthralling. By juxtaposing the inherent dystopia of a post-adolescent pseudo-reality with the post-war idealism of 50s pulp fiction; the audience has their preconceptions of what constitutes 'happiness' challenged. Indeed, the director's subtle nods to Franco Zeffirelli and nascent satirical commentary on Tarantinoesque set scenes was invigorating. At the same time, one was left with a 'post-coital' disappointment...perhaps guilt?...as the third act failed to seize the unbridled potential of the earlier scenes.

Just messing.

It's a good show with some great lines. I laughed loudly through the first half, but it sorta tailed off before the end by getting all cliched and predictable. First half is 9/10. The whole movie is more like a 7/10.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Mitt liv som hund (My Life as a Dog 1985)

www.imdb.com...

This is a wonderful little movie about a 12 year old boy who is rather eccentric (a nice term for crazy) and has to live with his uncle while his mother tries to get rest from her illness. Anton Glanzelius is very affecting as Ingemar, who has much to deal with in his young life. The town he lives in is just as crazy as he acts, and he fits right in. Kind of a mixed result of a movie, as the seriousness of the mother and him trying to get his dog back is mixed with the zaniness. B-

The Great Scout & Cathouse Thursday (1976)

www.imdb.com...

Lee Marvin and Strother Martin play con men in this western comedy who want to get back the money they were bamboozled out of by Robert Culp. Not as funny as I thought it would be, still nice to see the actors here in play. Some slapstick and naughty jokes (not naughty enough considering the subject), but nothing really memorable about the movie. C

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Fracasso de Um Homem nas Duas Noites de Núpcias (Strange Hostel of Naked Pleasure 1975)

www.imdb.com...

You have to love the title of this Brazilian horror movie. A mysterious hotel with an equally mysterious owner books a bunch of different guests for the night. Is the owner Satan, Death or just a madman? We get plenty of hammy performances by the man playing the owner, and a lot of dreary poetic type lines. A curiosity indeed. C

The Man Who Knew Too Little (1997)

www.imdb.com...

Bill Murray plays the title character in this comedy about a man who comes to England to visit his brother. The brother has an important board meeting and decides to buy his brother a day where he can play act a character. Instead, he gets a real phone call and thinks the circumstances he is in are all part of the act. The problem I had is he would figure it out rather quickly, but the premise is built on that he stay stupid throughout the movie. Bill Murray also is rather annoying in this movie, as he can be sometimes. Liking this depends on how well you can tolerate the stupidity of the characters and plot. The ending is especially ridiculous. D

The Hearse (1980)

www.imdb.com...

Trish van Devere inherits a house after a relative passes away and finds some spooky happenings, like a hearse that is following her. The movie is like many Gothic movies at the time, and is very slow to develop. No blood or gore, and no real scares as she figures out what is happening. Having boring characters doesn't help either, and this movie can put one to sleep awfully fast. D

Deep End (1970)

www.imdb.com...

Strange movie has John Moulder-Brown playing a 15 year old boy who gets a job at a bathhouse/pool and becomes obsessed with a female employee. This movie tries to be a bit shocking, but that was in 1970 and the scenes of nudity are quite tame today. The boy slowly becomes sociopathic, but the movie never explains why, or gives a real reason for anything going on. Still, John Moulder-Brown gives an interesting performance as the troubled young man. C

[edit on 6/26/2010 by kidflash2008]

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Signs (2002)

www.imdb.com...

This crop circle/alien invasion story is surprisingly better than I thought it would be. Mel Gibson plays a former minister who has given up his flock after the death of his wife. He lives with his brother and two children on a farm in Pennsylvania when he discovers a crop circle in his cornfield. Soon, they are popping up everywhere and aliens are wreaking havoc with him and his family. The main part of the story is what do the aliens want, but we soon learn it is not friendly. No twists in this movie like M Night Shyamalan's other movies, but some scares in this one. It is interesting to follow these events through the eyes of a family, and not some big CGI effects movie like ID4. B

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Funny People

Basically, a dying and then no longer dying comedian tries to get back with his ex-wife.

It was okay. I laughed out loud a couple of times, but it really could have been better.

7 out of 10.

Punisher: War Zone

The Punisher goes after Jigsaw.

It wasn't as horrible as I was expecting. After the last two, my hopes weren't that high for a movie that does ol' Frank some justice, and I wasn't proven wrong.

If you like the comic book, watch it. If you don't, skip it.

I'm starting to think there's never going to be a good Punisher movie.

5 out of 10.

TheAssoc.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Toy Story 3

Loved it! This one is my favorite of the three.

10/10

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
District 9 (2009)

www.imdb.com...

This is one of the best movies about aliens that have ever been released. One of the few movies that let us actually get to know the aliens, instead of having them be the usual benign beings like "Signs", "ID4", "War of the Worlds" etc. There is a lot of emotional scenes in this movie as the alien named Christopher discovers what has become with some of his people in the labs. Sharlto Copley stars as a worker for the dubious MNU who is more about self preservation at first. His character slowly starts to show some compassion toward the end of the movie. I like how they did not rush that part like most movies do with their anti-heroes. A

Au revoir les enfants (Goodbye Children, 1987)

www.imdb.com...

Louis Malle's masterful movie about a young schoolboy named Julien (based on Louis Malle's childhood) who is going to a private Catholic boarding school during WW2. The school is also secretly hiding Jewish boys, and Julien slowly befriends one named Bonnet. This movie is very emotional and the ending is one of the sadder ones on film. This classic also shows why the French are among the best filmmakers out there. A+

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
i just watched the collector and unthinkable.

Unthinkable was great the ending sucked but over all a good film.

A psychological thriller centered around a black-ops interrogator and an FBI agent who press a suspect terrorist into divulging the location of three nuclear weapons sets to detonate in the U.S.

and the collector very scary i thought because i hate these watching these films, it makes u want to join the film and help kick the scary ass guys arse.

Desperate to repay his debt to his ex-wife, an ex-con plots a heist at his new employer's country home, unaware that a second criminal has also targeted the property, and rigged it with a series of deadly traps

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Eden Lake

This was a pretty gory and unflinching film and had some pretty nasty stuff in it.
I thought it was filmed well and did a good job of seeming realistic/believable.
There was just something about it.... something I can't quite put my finger on.

It wasn't an original premise by any means and the ending was good twist and not your usual cheesy Hollywood "Everything-ends-up-rosy-and nice" kinda thing.... but yeah, Didn't really do anything for me... and I'm quite partial to a gory flick or two.

6/10

Stranger than fiction

A film I was really looking forward to seeing since I saw the trailer years ago.
Was pretty disappointed though to be honest.
I get that anything is possible and it's all kinda fiction and blah.... but there were too many things that were just silly.

I liked it and in parts it was really engaging and lovely, and then it would go kinda bland.
And I actually though Hoffman was poor in this too.

An original concept and relatively well acted, just a bit silly and perhaps a few plot holes, although I guess it depends on how you view the movie.

Another 6/10.

Both films are watchable and you wont feel like you wasted time, but you may feel like you wanted/expected a little more.

[edit on 28/6/10 by blupblup]

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by thecrow001
Desperate to repay his debt to his ex-wife, an ex-con plots a heist at his new employer's country home, unaware that a second criminal has also targeted the property, and rigged it with a series of deadly traps

I love how you just copied that straight from the films synopsis, and didn't change a word :shk:

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

you know me

i did not think i would be able to improve it so i left it.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
The Vampire's Assistant (Cirque du Freak)

Did this as a redbox movie, just because... Actually wasn't too bad, and somehow, Selma Hyek is even hot with a beard.... Pretty cheesy movie, but some interesting characters created. As with most movies based on books, they sometimes put in too much, without giving us enough backstory to fill in the pieces, but for $1 rental, I can't complain too much....

Legion

Also a redbox one... I'm a sucker for biblical horror movies, and this one was pretty decent. Wasn't a big fan of the ending (kind of left things hanging a little bit), and it would have been nice to see a little more "wrath" (in other locales) rather than a seemingly blah lead up to the end of the world...but still a decent flick...

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by kidflash2008

Signs was one of his better movies (in my opinion)...

I still take issue with beings harmed by water invading a planet that is mostly made up of the stuff, but eh...what are you gonna do...???

The build up was nice, and it did a good job of making you nervous in the theater...without revealing too much...

Usually, (and this isn't much different) I LOVE his movies in the beginning and the middle, but hate his endings... Still, I'll take the good with the bad...

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

The aliens were the typical invading type ones of usual movies. Had I watched District 9 first, I would have not been as kind to the movie Signs. My main reason for liking it was both Mel Gibson and Joaquin Phoenix, who both give very good performances. If anyone wants to see a good depiction of alien/extraterrestrial life, District 9 is the one to see.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Penelope (1966)

www.imdb.com...

During the late 1950s and early 1960s, Hollywood was in a transitional phase in movies. Many were starting to test the boundaries of the Hayes Code and also bringing about more gritty subject matter. Others were still stuck in the old Hollywood studio mode. "Penelope" is one of the throwbacks to the older studio type film that is pleasant to look at, but is not very good substance wise. Natalie Wood and Peter Falk star in this movie about a bored housewife (Natalie) who likes to steal every so often. Peter Falk is cast as a police lieutenant who is out to solve a bank robbery she committed. (Look for shades of Lt Columbo in Peter Falk's character.) This movie looks and feels like a sitcom from the mid 1960s, wholesome and harmless. It is a curio from that strange era, before Hollywood started its very creative period from the late 1960s through the 1970s. C-

I Heart Huckabees (2004)

www.imdb.com...

An unusual movie about an existentialist detective agency starring Lily Tomlin, Dustin Hoffman and Isabelle Huppert. Jason Schwartzman plays Albert, who is trying to find out what the coincidence is when he runs into the same person three times in his life. A very different movie that kept me interested in what it was about and where it was going. Very funny in spots and very imaginative, it shows that movies don't have to be sequels, remakes and CGI action pictures all the time. B+

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   

I love I heart Huckabees.... First time I saw it I thought it was ok, After a few years went back and watched and it was absolutely brilliant.

A very unique and engaging film.

Wait a couple of years and then go back and watch again..... It'll be even better.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   

District 9 was very interesting, and a refreshing take on the genre, to be sure... Although, I'm not so sure we would have successfully been able to contain beings that were stronger than us, and with more powerful weaponry...even if we did have the numbers....

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
The Insider (1999)

www.imdb.com...

Al Pacino stars as Lowell Bergman, a producer for CBS' "60 Minutes" in this very well acted drama based on a real incident. Russel Crowe also stars as Dr Jeffrey Wigand, a person hired by Lowell as a consultant for a story he is producing involving fires and people who smoke in bed. Lowell gets a bunch of documents in the mail that he wants translated to common people terms, and Dr Wigand (who worked as a top research executive for a tobacco company) agrees to do that.

Lowell realizes that Dr Wigand has something on his mind that he wants to tell him, but that would breech his confidentiality agreement. This movie then delves into not only the explosive stuff that Dr Wigand states in an interview with Mike Wallace (excellently portrayed by Christopher Plummer), but about the workings of corporate controlled news media. Star performances by everyone and a topic that any member of ATS should get into make this one of the best movies that unfortunately no one has watched. A

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I don't post in here often, as with no theaters here, everything I watch has to be released on DVD first.

But, after the all the anticipation and hype, I had to rate.........

THE FOURTH KIND

This is a *yawn* "thriller" about a town in Alaska that has seen unsolved disappearances for the past 40 years. Tagline of the movie: "There are four kinds of alien encounters. The fourth kind is abduction." DUM-DUM-DUUUUUUUUM.

I don't know. Maybe I've been jaded by all the stuff available here on ATS/BTS, but the trailer and hype for this movie caused me to have expectations of Close Encounters of the Third King PLUS!

I thought the movie was terrible. Slow to develop, painful plot twists that seemed to go nowhere, and an extremely chintzy lack of ET images. I'm glad I only paid $4.00 to rent it. Milla Jovovich's inherent hottiness and acting and acting of Hakeem Kae-Kazim the only redeeming factors of this movie.

I give this three toes down.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   

The Man Who Knew Too Little....thanks for reminding me of that, so I can add that to my DVD wishlist... I loved that movie...a classic. (and Joanne Whaley-Kilmer was smokin' in that)...

Even I (an alien fanatic) haven't felt the need to see The Fourth Kind, from what I've heard of it...though I will cheap-o rent it just for seeing Mila....love her in pretty much anything...

[edit on 2-7-2010 by Gazrok]

top topics

<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join