It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is what's really happening, the Modern era coming to an end?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 05:18 AM
link   
The environmental crisis, economic disaster, slowdown of production, blackouts, people lose their jobs, governments lose peoples' faith.

Is what's really happening the end of the Modern era that began in the 19th century?

What will replace it? Some kind of post-modern dark age? Utopia?

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I think another way of looking at is, we are all going to be slowly going back in time. To a better time
I hope
Maybe, just maybe, we are going to get a second chance.

[edit on 31-3-2009 by All Seeing Eye]

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Donnie Darko

If history is any guide a second dark ages. Or extinction as we do have a means to blast ourselves into extinction.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 12:16 AM
link   
nah just a decline of what we know
im sure at the end of the 19th century people were thinkin that life as we know it was goin to cease because new impimentions were replacin old ideas or systes that seemed broken

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Donnie Darko
Is what's really happening the end of the Modern era that began in the 19th century?

The modern era in history began with Columbus's discovery of America in 1492.

Modernism as an artistic and cultural movement had its roots in the late nineteenth century but more properly belongs to the twentieth.

The era you refer to - the last two centuries, roughly, might be better described as the era of bourgeois ascendancy.

And yes, it is over, because in most of the world the peasantry are the new bourgeoisie. Is this coming to an end? One could wish it, but I fear it is not.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

I would say that another Dark Age is not impossible. Stagnation of scientific development. Though it will be harder to sink to such a level because the World communicates and trades so rapidly.. during Europe's Dark Age, much of the rest of the World was going through significant advancement..

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 04:18 AM
link   
well i girl i know her ant says a golden age is comming
also saying things like bush knows and he is shooting at us like she dodged them herself.

but from a neutralpoint off view

look around add it all up all the
murder
war
rape
poverty
health
powers
hurger
dept!!..+

............. = ?whats it say to you??

is there an other way out?? we killed oursellfs under the supervision off the elite

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Does not mean society cannot backslide, Rock. I could think of any number of possible scenarios that would bring a blackslide about.

[edit on 31-3-2009 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows]

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Watcher-In-The-Shadows
Does not mean society cannot backslide, Rock. I could think of any number of possible scenarios that would bring a blackslide about.

Sure...easy. Cut off any or all of these and watch us devolve in weeks:

Electricity
Communications
Transportation
Water

We've gotten to the point where our systems are so dependent on so many technical controls that when something breaks, it breaks in a big way. Just look at the northeast blackout in 2003. A single line failure cut power to nearly 55 million people in the US and Canada. Because of our global economy, very few countries are really 100% self-sufficient. Here in the US, we hardly manufacture anything any more. If we're ever cut off from China, we instantly become devoid of many goods that we use every day. With locally grown and sustained food sources discouraged in this country, a disruption in delivery systems means instant price hikes and eventual shortages. Look at what a few months of expensive oil did to the world in '08... enormous price increases in the US and shortages and food riots around the world. If Hurricane Katrina taught us anything, it's that a couple of days without basic services shows the Federal Government's inability to act and how quickly human beings become animals. In the event where we have a real pandemic that sees large numbers of dead or quarantined, we immediately lose those who know how to maintain or fix our fragile infrastructure. Collapse would begin immediately.

We easily lose track of how fragile our society is and how our modern world could easily come crashing down all around us. Could we have a new Dark Ages? No question.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Donnie Darko
The environmental crisis, economic disaster, slowdown of production, blackouts, people lose their jobs, governments lose peoples' faith.

What will replace it? Some kind of post-modern dark age? Utopia?

The environmental crisis is over stated, and could be reversed
quickly with alternative energy, but it won't...

The economic mess is just not so well hidden theft, and as to it being fixed,
it wont...(As Rahm said, don't waste a good crisis)

Slowdown of Production ? You have not seen anything yet.

Lay offs ? More of that to come for sure, a LOT more once it gets
real momentum and they continue to hike taxes to the stratosphere.

When the taxes get too high ppl will simply say why bother trying
or participating in a parasitic society.

They will retreat away from the urban jungles to suburbs, and
then to rural areas when the suburbs start to fall apart as well.

With over 238 million hits Survival Blog is not just for reading
for a lot of ppl it is about the future way of life.

Good Luck to all good ppl !

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ex_MislTechThey will retreat away from the urban jungles to suburbs, and
then to rural areas when the suburbs start to fall apart as well.

It's quite possible that the suburbs are even LESS survivable than the cities should TSHTF. While the cities have an unsustainably high population density, if you are able to bunker down and stay out of site for a couple of weeks, getting through the mass evacuations and deaths of the stupid, there are endless scavange opportunities in a city. The suburbs population-to-scavangable resources are much, much less favorable. Also, too many unprepared people will hole up in their homes longer than they can sustain and fewer reductions in numbers will occur through evac / death. When the unprepared finally do emerge from their colonial and ranch tombs, they'll be doing so afraid, desperate (due to dependants like children), and unpredictable -- ie: DANGEROUS.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Time is like ebb and flow, there are times of great creation, there are times of great destruction, etc. We are obviously on the brink to the next ebb, and time also involves a similar concept like evolution. Time is evolving, so its creations. So from civilization to civilization there has been much progress and much destruction that brought it all to the "zero" point. On a graph this would look like a great upward movement when a new civilization comes to rise, and a very fast downward movement when the civilization naturally comes to an "end".

In other words, nature is cleaning up the mess it has done and tries to reorganize again in order to bring about a more effective "system".

So the next era will be indeed a dark one, but in the long term it will be the birth of a greater new era (Something we would define as a Utopia).

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by larphillips

Originally posted by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

Sure...easy. Cut off any or all of these and watch us devolve in weeks:

Electricity
Communications
Transportation
Water

Much more quickly than weeks. There is a quote I like from a British general (I don't remember his name) who once said something to the effect of: "Even the mightiest nation is two missed meals away from anarchy." Believe it.

We will see a time that is ruled by "they who are Unclean and Evil, the Distortion and Perversion of the Sephiroth; the fallen restriction of the Universe; the rays of the Coils of the Stooping Dragon."

new topics

top topics

join