It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are UFO's

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 04:10 AM
link   
I don't have any "official" stats to back up my assertion, but it seems that most UFO sightings now involve "balls of light" or "orbs". I emphasize MOST, as I know people report large triangle-shaped craft at times, and some other odd-shaped craft; however, it seems these "balls of light" and "orbs" without a hard, physical outline are becoming more and more common.

Whatever happened to good old-fashioned "flying saucers"? Remeber when most, if not all UFO sightings were of saucer-shaped METALLIC craft. Now, it seems they are hardly ever reported as "metallic". Again, I'm not saying "never", but it sure seems like there is a trend developing here.

Is this just my imagination or do others notice this as well? If so, what accounts for this change? If there are "aliens" out there, they obviously are way, way ahead of us technologically speaking, so it's unlikely they've had recent technology "breakthroughs" allowing them to trade in their old clunker saucers for bright and shiny new "balls of light", so what gives?

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Well, in 2050 you won't expect to see an F-117 from 2009 will you?

They've advanced, and it sounds like they're trying to blend in better with the stars and remain hidden.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 04:44 AM
link   
funnily enough, your post reminds me of a Gary Larson cartoon, where two cavemen point excitedly at a UFO in the sky, but their UFO is clearly made up of timber strung together, but floating in the sky

If you notice how alien craft are reported over the years, how they operate, and in most cases how the operators look, then you realise that they change constantly.
The die-hards will say that this is because different species are visiting us, I suppose like a cosmic tourist attraction.
Others die-hards will state that this is them attempting to fit in with our view of them, making them more acceptable to us without ever showing us their true state
It is most likely, how we view what we see. Our brain is an amazing super computer, the likes of which can not be replicated.
Once it sees an image, it tries to make sense of what it is seeing, associating it with various images and memories. This can be related to what we have viewed in movies or by other media e.g. newspapers, books etc.
Aliens have changed, from greys, to pleasant people who look like us, but with a slightly exotic feature (green skin or other), to goblins/faeries who whisk people away to fairy-land

I remember a case of policeman in England being hypnotised about an alien abduction he was involved in. At the point where he stops his patrol car, he see what he is assuming is a large bus parked in the road, but most importantly, he knows its not a bus, but cant seem to shake the image of a bus.

At the end what shape do you see when you look at a cloud?

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by DocEmrick

They've advanced, and it sounds like they're trying to blend in better with the stars and remain hidden.

That brings up another point. If they are so far advanced, they should be able to "observe" us with impunity - no sight and no sound. Why do they allow us to see their "craft" at all? And if you say "they want us to", then the question becomes "then why don't they land in Times Square?"

It's almost as if they are doing as much to get our attention as they are being "allowed" to.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 04:52 AM
link   

So are you suggesting that up until a few years ago, "aliens" had to fly metal discs, but now they are more advanced and can fly "balls of light"? That just doesn't make sense to me.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Daisy-Lola
It is most likely, how we view what we see. Our brain is an amazing super computer, the likes of which can not be replicated.
Once it sees an image, it tries to make sense of what it is seeing, associating it with various images and memories. This can be related to what we have viewed in movies or by other media e.g. newspapers, books etc.

You make some very good points. Often I have caught my brain playing "tricks" on me. For example, I think I know exactly where the cinnamon is in the spice rack. I open the cupboard and see the "cinnamon" bottle exactly where I thought it would be. I barely glance at the label when I grab it, just long enough for my brain to tell me "it says 'cinnamon'...really!" Then, when I take the cap off and take a closer look only to discover I'm about to ruin my cinnamon toast with paprika. The label now clearly says PAPRIKA, but I could swear that 10 seconds ago it said CINNAMON...or so my brain tells me.

So, yes, our brain tries to fill in the "blanks", but wouldn't that reinforce the "saucer" phenomena? If everyone is reporting seeing metallic disks as it seems was common at one time, isn't that what your brain would be "expecting" to see if you thought you saw a UFO in the sky? Why are some people's brains telling them "no, it's not a metallic disk, it's a ball of light". Additionally, some UFO videos I've seen recently seem to confirm that the balls of light and "orbs" are out there dancing around.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 05:19 AM
link   
It is simply because cheap digital camera and phone cameras with flash enabled make orbs out of every dust particle and moisture in the air.
www.castleofspirits.com...

There are also many obvious lens flares reported as UFOs.
www.mufoncms.com...
www.mufoncms.com...

No serious investigator takes them seriously, but they clutter UFO lists.

In most cases orbs are not UFOs they are perfectly explained. The same is true with blurfos and rods (birds, insects).

I remember at least three good looking metallic "nuts & bolts" recent photographs of UFOs.

Alagamar, Brasil, 2006
www.ufoevidence.org...

Zalny Poland, 2006
www.ufoevidence.org...

Tepic, Mexico, 2008
yohanandiaz.blogspot.com...

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by GLDNGUN
So are you suggesting that up until a few years ago, "aliens" had to fly metal discs, but now they are more advanced and can fly "balls of light"? That just doesn't make sense to me.

I didn't suggest that one way or another. And since when has it been a few years ago? People have been reporting UFO orbs for the better part of 30 years now. As for them flying "balls of light," that's how these things appear to us. When you get up close, it's a machine of some sort. Do some research.

It should be noted that in a lot of cases, light shines from within the object. Almost as if there is a fiber optic network directly below the surface. The Rendlesham case and witnesses there reported craft like this.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Sometimes people should consider the fact that maybe they're not so entirely different than we are. If we discovered a hidden village on some remote island that has never been in contact with the outside world, we may observe them from a distance but not want to intrude or affect their way of life.

If I am not mistaken, NatGeo did an article last year over a tribe in south america that has not been contacted by anyone from our age. They flew over in a helicopter to photograph these people, and saw they were out and about with spear like weapons drawn in aggression. If no one interacts with those people, 5,000 years from now, that helicopter might turn into some sort of a god mythology amongst that tribe's people. Maybe as a wind god?

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Demonis

That was certainly the case with cargo cults:

en.wikipedia.org...

The funniest of which has to be the Prince Philip movement:

The Yaohnanen believe that Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, the consort to Queen Elizabeth II, is a divine being, the pale-skinned son of a mountain spirit and brother of John Frum. According to ancient tales the son travelled over the seas to a distant land, married a powerful lady and would in time return. The villagers had observed the respect accorded to Queen Elizabeth II by colonial officials and came to the conclusion that her husband, Prince Philip, must be the son from their legends. When the cult formed is unclear, but it is likely that it was sometime in the 1950s or 1960s. Their beliefs were strengthened by the royal couple's official visit to Vanuatu in 1974 when a few villagers had the opportunity to observe the prince from afar. At the time the Prince was not aware of the cult, but the matter was eventually brought to his attention by John Champion, the British Resident Commissioner in Vanuatu between 1975 and 1978. The Resident Commissioner suggested that the Prince send them a portrait of himself. A signed official photograph was duly dispatched. The villagers responded by sending a traditional nal-nal club. As requested the Prince in return sent them a photograph of himself posing with the weapon. Another photograph was sent in 2000. All three photographs are currently kept by Chief Jack Naiva.

From here.

I'm not sure how ethical I am laughing at native beliefs, but Prince Philip as a god, given his personality (see here), is quite funny. If there are alien UFOs (I think it is unlikely), I suspect aliens find some of our explanations equally funny.

[edit on 30-3-2009 by jackphotohobby]

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Reguardless of how far advanced they are, why could they not be advancing at an alarmingly faster rate? I mean 40 years ago who would have thought of the internet in the state it is today?

Cell phone technology within even the last few years has advanced fairly quickly from the house phone sized cell phones ( I know you remember those with the big antennae you had to pull up *had one!* ) Now We've got virtual computers in your pocket! Youtube, GPS, Videogames, Internet.

Even the internet itself, think of when the internet first came to each household ( majority of us in the US had AOL through the telephone line )
Now we have a variety of carriers, different speeds ect.

To jump back on topic ( before I get tackled by a mod ) to tie it all together, why could the "nuts and bolts" saucers, not now be powered by a difference energy source or more advanced propulsion system that emits that type of light. Technology is never ending no matter how advanced it can become!

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   

I didn't suggest that one way or another. And since when has it been a few years ago? People have been reporting UFO orbs for the better part of 30 years now. As for them flying "balls of light," that's how these things appear to us. When you get up close, it's a machine of some sort. Do some research.

Actually, it's longer if you take into consideration Foo Fighters during World War II

Foo Fighters

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Interesting question. I've not seen many of the ufo saucer shape sightings since the 90's. Interesting that it coincides with the end of the Cold War ending around the early 1990's. Maybe their was a treaty signed or something. Also if these saucer crafts did indead fly on magnetic field lines maybe HAARP was designed to disrupt these magnetic flight lines.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by TamtammyMacx
Interesting question. I've not seen many of the ufo saucer shape sightings since the 90's. Interesting that it coincides with the end of the Cold War ending around the early 1990's. Maybe their was a treaty signed or something. Also if these saucer crafts did indead fly on magnetic field lines maybe HAARP was designed to disrupt these magnetic flight lines.

Ok, glad to know it's not just me that has noticed this. Perhaps the change does coincide with the end of the Cold War.

I also wonder if this is just a different kind of phase. Perhaps the "saucer" craft were drones/clones, and the "balls of light" are the real "aliens" themselves - fallen angels or whatever they are.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Whatever happened to good old-fashioned "flying saucers"? Remeber when most, if not all UFO sightings were of saucer-shaped METALLIC craft. Now, it seems they are hardly ever reported as "metallic". Again, I'm not saying "never", but it sure seems like there is a trend developing here.

90% of sightings are proven factually to be inaccurate and/or mistaken, so it's safe to say a large portion of sighting in those times and these times are driven by the media and common beliefs.

So that renders your point mute, seeing as you can consider the large portion of sightings incorrect and the 10% (I don't know the actual factual percentages) that remains in actual fact records sightings of all shapes and forms.

That brings up another point. If they are so far advanced, they should be able to "observe" us with impunity - no sight and no sound. Why do they allow us to see their "craft" at all? And if you say "they want us to", then the question becomes "then why don't they land in Times Square?"

It's almost as if they are doing as much to get our attention as they are being "allowed" to.

Equally, why do you assume they wouldn't want us to see them? If they are just viewing it makes no difference if we see them or not.

Also; If your walking up to a Lion with an AK47 and you know you've got a good shot, you wouldn't hide away from it would you? But, if you was walking and saw a Lion while not carrying any superior weapon you would hide for your life. (just an example, I realise the Lion would know you was there anyway.)

This entire thread is pointless if you consider the issues for a second, so you wont get a response from the best brains around here.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by TamtammyMacx

Their have been thousands, perhaps you both are being more unknowingly driven by the fact you haven't heard the word "saucer" used that frequently in recent times, because it has become largely unfashionable.

Simply check youtube for recent videos, yes the drawings may well have changed and the terms but the shapes of craft being recorded and reported (whether false of true) are very much the same.

A more valid question would be, where have the green men gone?

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrAnonUK
90% of sightings are proven factually to be inaccurate and/or mistaken, so it's safe to say a large portion of sighting in those times and these times are driven by the media and common beliefs.

So that renders your point mute, seeing as you can consider the large portion of sightings incorrect and the 10% (I don't know the actual factual percentages) that remains in actual fact records sightings of all shapes and forms.

Uh, no, it doesn't "render my point mute". First, even if I was talking about every reported UFO, the question still stands as to why there used to be so many "saucer" sightings, and why they are in such the minority now. Secondly, I'm talking about the ones that can't be easily explained. The ones we read about. Are you suggesting that 90% of those are proven false? I don't think the majority of those are "proven" to be anything, so I think you're simply pulling a number out of thin air.

Equally, why do you assume they wouldn't want us to see them? If they are just viewing it makes no difference if we see them or not.

Also; If your walking up to a Lion with an AK47 and you know you've got a good shot, you wouldn't hide away from it would you? But, if you was walking and saw a Lion while not carrying any superior weapon you would hide for your life. (just an example, I realise the Lion would know you was there anyway.)

If they want us to see them and are "allowed" to do so, then why don't they park in Times Square for an hour, day, or week, so we can get close-up photos, videos, etc. Are you suggesting they want us to see them, but they don't want us to get a really good look or have any sort of proof or documentation? What's the point in that?

This entire thread is pointless if you consider the issues for a second, so you wont get a response from the best brains around here.

Well, thanks for taking the time to set us all of us idiots straight on this "pointless" thread and doing all of the thinking for us. Obviously, with your lion analogy you have a complete and thorough understanding of a very complex issue. With your help, I can now see it's as simple as a lion and an AK-47.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrAnonUK
Their have been thousands, perhaps you both are being more unknowingly driven by the fact you haven't heard the word "saucer" used that frequently in recent times, because it has become largely unfashionable.

Simply check youtube for recent videos, yes the drawings may well have changed and the terms but the shapes of craft being recorded and reported (whether false of true) are very much the same.

Well, hate to break it to you but that doesn't seem to be the case...

www.absoluteastronomy.com...

"More recently, the flying saucer has been largely supplanted by other alleged vehiclesList of alleged UFO-related vehicles".

So, yes, there have been other shapes reported in the past, and occassionally a "saucer" shape is reported, such as at O'Hare.

en.wikipedia.org...

"Although disc-shaped flying objects have been interpreted as recorded occasionally since the Middle Ages, the first highly publicized sighting by Kenneth Arnold on June 24, 1947, resulted in the creation of the term by U.S. newspapers. Although Arnold never specifically used the term "flying saucer", he was quoted at the time saying the shape of the objects he saw was like a "saucer", "disc", or "pie-plate", and several years later added he had also said "the objects moved like saucers skipping across the water." (see Arnold article for list of newspaper quotes) Both the terms "flying saucer" and "flying disc" were used commonly and interchangeably in the media until the early 1950s.

Arnold's sighting was followed by thousands of similar sightings across the world. Such sightings were once very common, to such an extent that "flying saucer" was a synonym for UFO through the 1960s before it began to fall out of favor. However, the term is still often used generically for any UFO.

More recently, the flying saucer has been largely supplanted by other alleged vehicles such as the black triangle.[1] The term UFO was, in fact, invented in 1952, to try to reflect the wider diversity of shapes being seen. However, unknown saucer-like objects are still reported, such as in the widely-publicized 2006 sighting over Chicago-O'Hare airport."

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
what makes you think that these "orbs" are transports?

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by GLDNGUN

The ufo orbs are being seen throughout this planet but it is important to know that they are connected with motherships, not the disc type but more like an oblong pure white type. The ufo orbs exist, seen from the time of Jesus in the Star of Bethlehem, the ufo orbs of Nuremberg, the Jack O' the lanterns, Willow the Wisps, Fairies, Foo Fighters of World War 2 to the critters on NASA STS videos and the OBOLS (lots are of other colours and not all are ball/orb shaped) of today. To add to this I have seen a group of twenty or so same coloured individual pairs above me in a circle, perhaps this gives the impression of a disc when it is a collection of individual ufo orbs.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join