It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help, I have question re. 8 wk influenza.....?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 10:24 PM
link   
To --everyone-- who reads this, I wonder if someone can provide further info on this problem. My kin and I reside in the Midwest USA. My sibling and her spouse have been battling a viscious influenza. They said people at his place of employment have and had it, and today the Mr. went to the Doctor, and this Dr told him that many have it, ( but dang it, I asked them what the name of this flu is, so I could research more about it online, and they said the Dr did not tell them a name of it). My sibling said it attacks different things, sometimes breathing, sometimes bowel, etc., and it's intensity subsides and surges, and this duration is for eight weeks, as concurred by that Dr. I have been trying to search-engine 'eight week influenza' but I come up with nada. ALL RESPONSES APPRECIATED.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   
A couple of things.

Did they do nasal swabs for Influenza A or B? Thats the easiest way to get a diagnosis for sure.

The only way to treat a virus is with anti virals but those carry some nasty side effects so for influenza that is managed at home its just a wait and recover kind of thing. Everybody is different and it can take time.

Handwashing is the key and buying a sailine based nasal spray. Using that several times a day can help flush out bacteria and other nasties from your nose which can be a huge source of pathogens. It also keeps the mmebranes hydrated and that helps with prevention too.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 02:07 AM
link   
All I can tell you about it is that I had it along with several people at the hospital where I worked.

Four of those eight weeks I could not talk; not even a whisper and three months later I still don't have my original voice back. It is a little raspy and hoarse sounding but I had no pain at all even during the worse period of the laryngitis.

It is a wicked bug and I don't wish it on my worse enemy. I refused antibiotics because I don't believe in antibiotics unless they know exactly what they are treating and I can tell you that the co-workers that took the antibiotics didn't get better very much faster and all of them had relapses and I, Thank God, have had no recurrences.

Good Luck. Drink lots of fluids, eat healthy and get plenty of rest.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 03:42 AM
link   
I had an influenza that lasted 1 month but fortunately it a fading one.
First 1 week of symptoms were like any other influenza, by the second week it was still around (fatigue, headaches, sneezing, coughing, hot body but cold weather etc). I even went to the doctors and apparently it has to do with how you recover and how you are affected by other airborne contaminations (common colds and other types of influenza).

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 04:11 AM
link   
legionaires?

8 weeks and relapses sound eerily familiar with mold infections. Have tests for such been performed at this hospital?
God forbid something as discussed in this ATS thread

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by imd12c4funn
legionaires?

8 weeks and relapses sound eerily familiar with mold infections. Have tests for such been performed at this hospital?
God forbid something as discussed in this ATS thread

Unfortunately I worked in the respiratory specialty unit. Lots of trachs, lots of ventilators and lots of bugs. I think that adding the use of a personal air purifier along with the use of my face mask help me stay healthy.

In an environment where you are constantly faced with super bugs, new ones joining the list and often combining, you have to have a really strong immune system, really good hygiene habits and a healthy lifestyle. That is my main reason for being extremely cautious of antibiotic use. Antibiotics are great when used appropriately but overuse can be problematic for all of us.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by simonecharisse

I think an 8 week influenza is actually called mono.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   
First of all---antibiotics do nothing to viruses, antivirals work rarely, and have some side effects worse than the flu. Wasting antibiotics on virus infections causes more harm than good, as most also kill beneficial organisms that you need, making you weaker and prolonging the viral illness. The only reason to use an antibiotic in cases of influenza is to treat an opportunistic secondary bacterial infection.
We had an outbreak of this nasty stuff a couple months ago, and a few had it for 8 weeks, about 1/2 had it for a month, and the lucky, only two weeks. A very few only got the sniffles or aches for a couple days. It would seem to present differently in almost every case, but had similar symptoms appearing at different stages of the illness, but not in any specific order.
1. extreme pain in the very top of the sinuses, like someone had driven a spike
between your eyes.
2. floods from the nose---not drips, not congestion, not sniffles. Floods.
3. infected ears and throat.
4.extreme chest congestion, to the point of having to sleep sitting up.
5.generalized pain everywhere, but could be managed by aspirin or tylenol.
6.low grade fever for the duration.

I was one of the lucky ones who had it only two weeks, mostly I presume, because I saw it coming when co workers and family started to come down with it, and began loading up on vitamins, herbs like echininacia, golden seal, garlic, and lots of water.
Had all the symptoms over in a week except for a lingering cough and low grade fever that lasted a further week.

Funny thing was, during the first couple days I used an over-the-counter multi symptom relief liquid, but it only seem to work on one symptom, and a different one each night to the point of being useless to try and get any sleep.
I had to settle with specific symptom relief for each night, whichever was the worst after dinner.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by gotrox

I consider myself lucky also.

I only had #2, #3, #4, and #6. No pain.

Lasted way too long but I had a very wise doctor that encouraged me to tough it out while watching me very closely.

I think I am a lot better off for going the natural route.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I got over the flu in two days. TWO DAYS. I can't say it will work for you, but it might help minimize the time frame.

Drink lots of fluids, take 1000-2000mg of Vitamin C per 6 hours. Take 6 drops of :

www.vitasprings.com...

In a glass of tea (to minimize gross flavor) per 4 hours. This stuff is amazing. If you haven't heard of it, look it up. A lot of people (and doctors) try to bash it and say it doesn't work. But in my personal experience, it really -REALLY- does.

top topics

join