It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Today's Heroes Are So 'Effed Up'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Heroes and villains have clashed in American pop culture since D.W. Griffith's Birth of a Nation in 1915, but today's heroes are oddly at war with another foe—themselves, Jeff Jensen writes in Entertainment Weekly. Like Lost's castaways, modern heroes are "flawed or messed up," reflecting "a culture that feels powerless and pissed." From Iron Man's Tony Stark to the meth-making dad on Breaking Bad, "we can't staunch our doubts that good is up to the task."

In a time of terrorist threats and environmental meltdown, when "we should logically be drawn to tales of strong, valiant souls," American heroes "need to be saved from themselves before they save anyone else." Meanwhile a new breed of villains, epitomized by Joker and Saw's Jigsaw Killer, "are scarred rogues" with "world-saving ambitions." Our cultural road-map has clearly been jettisoned. "The current state of heroism can be summed up in a word: Lost."

www.newser.com...
popwatch.ew.com...

What's your take on this?

I am more likely to read a comic in which the characters are relatable. I could never get into the early Captain America stuff, but the stuff during Civil War, where he was weaker because America's patriotism was waning, that was real. The fact of the matter is, people need to see themselves in the good guy and the bad guy- so it feels like an inner battle when they fight.

That's just my opinion, though. I make comics, so this is how I create my stories- all sides must be "true" to those reading them.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by sadisticwoman

Meanwhile a new breed of villains, epitomized by Joker and Saw's Jigsaw Killer, "are scarred rogues" with "world-saving ambitions."

When I watched the film 'Dark Knight'. I realized Joker is sending a strong message there that money is a source of power, but someone who treats money like nothing is a much bigger threat.

The film demonizes people that cannot be bribed by any means which is portrayed by Joker...

The other way around, people with good intentions, and cannot be bribed with anything even their own selfish ambitions, fame, glory, wealth, and power, can really make a huge difference or a big threat(at least to evil people in control..)

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Their so effed up because now, more then any other time in history, we can look back at the heroes of the past and see their flaws. And, by the same token, the living people who might be called heroes are scrutinized to the umpteenth degree. I doubt that many of our historical heroes would've been considered such if they were under the media microscope during their lives.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 01:23 AM
link   
i'd say they are so effed up because the things we glorify today are unfettered greed, ostentatious acquisition, and a glorious lack of compassion. These are the virtues that define "success" in our society, and these are the values bragged about in our rap music and pop culture. The values you hold to be highest are the ones our children will aspire to, and our culture now is largely promoting those who best manipulate the system for their own self interest, while such things as compassion, wisdom, and spirit are largely left by the wayside, and often unheard of.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheDustmanI doubt that many of our historical heroes would've been considered such if they were under the media microscope during their lives.

Right, but consider that we also have plenty 'anonymous' heroes, that have done also as great things, if not, more, than some heroes we know.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Did any of you see that show Dexter? There's a hero. Dude is one of America's best blood stain expert in foresnics. He's so intelligent and stuff. He's got just one flaw, he's a serial killer. Or that suburb mom who sells weed in Weeds, or the main chick in Diary of a callgirl which is a whore. There is so many shows today on the tv which glorify "heroes" like that. And that sux!
I think it all started with Sopranos.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 01:54 AM
link   
I thought this topic might be about the reports we have had about soldiers and the atrocious things some have done.

I agree with the OP on this one, we should see aspects of ourselves in both the heroes and the villains, its more realistic and we learn more that way. Lines are rarely so easily drawn between right and wrong, good guys and bad guys, especially when you consider the motives involved. Neither side tells the whole truth and nothing but the truth, if that's what your looking for you should look somewhere in the middle.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 02:54 AM
link   
The heroes of Greek myth and tragedy usually had a fatal flaw. Achilles had his heel, Hercules his tendency to party too hard. Ajax had an uncontrollable temper; Orpheus was an unwitting practioner of incest.

The Romantic movement of the eighteenth and nineteenth century made much of the sorrows and heartaches of its heroes and heroines. Ablard and Héloise, Goethe's Young Werther. The poetry of Keats and Wordsworth are full of this sort of thing. Beethoven described the emotive tone of one of his quartets as the feeling of 'weeping over my brother's grave'. Frankenstein's monster is perhaps the most tragic of all Romantic creations.

And twentieth-century modernism invented the anti-hero: Camus's étranger, Stephen Dedalus, Holden Caulfield.

So all that has happened now is that popular culture, in the twenty-first century, has at last begun to catch up with the real thing. Which has long since move on, of course.

[edit on 30/3/09 by Astyanax]

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrMot
Did any of you see that show Dexter? There's a hero. Dude is one of America's best blood stain expert in foresnics. He's so intelligent and stuff. He's got just one flaw, he's a serial killer.

He may be a serial killer but he does only kill people who have broken the law and got away with it. He also does obtain evidence on that person. So I don't think it's as cut and dry as him just being a killer.

[edit on 30-3-2009 by sandman441]

top topics

join