It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Loud explosions in Hampton Roads area

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I'm gonna guess it was a meteor, based on what Kenny Martin saw (my Neighborhood watch coordinator) was something close to this. www.timesonline.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by mybigunit

Originally posted by projectvxn
Hmmm. Has someone else noticed how many rocks are coming from the sky lately? Is there something bigger out there we should be worried about?

I was thinking the same exact thing. There have been a lot of meteor sightings and close calls lately. Hmmmmm

www.hohmanntransfer.com...

It should hopefully quiet down again until October. Maybe because of boards like these we are always scanning the news for this type of thing and not in the ignorant bliss we were in before.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Hmmm. Has someone else noticed how many rocks are coming from the sky lately? Is there something bigger out there we should be worried about?

I find the vast amount of plane crashes to be more disturbing, frankly.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by yellowcard

I find the vast amount of plane crashes to be more disturbing, frankly.

The submarine crashes get me. Doesn't anyone use radar anymore? Then there was the ghost in the castle but that doesn't mean these are all related.

[edit on 29-3-2009 by mandroid]

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky
I've seen a meteor come down in person... actually two, if you'll believe it.

Most meteors that make it to the ground are not luminous - they are slowed down to free fall speed fairly rapidly by the atmosphere and then fall to the ground unseen in a phase known as dark flight:

Meteorites
Another type of interaction between the meteoroid and the atmosphere takes place when the meteoroid is bigger than 20 cm in diameter (for a speed of 15 km/s). In this case the meteoroid doesn't have enough time to loose all its mass. The meteor will during the flight through the atmosphere slow down to a critical speed of about 3 km/s.
   The energy that normally would be transported to the surface of the meteor is not large enough anymore to keep the temperature above 2200K. Since the meteor still has some of its' mass left, the molten surface layer will cool and form a crust on the surface.
   When this happens, the meteor or the fireball (when it reaches magnitude -8 or brighter), will fade due to the low velocity. The velocity is not large enough to cause neither evaporation nor radiation. The remaining mass amounts to 10 grams or more.
   What's left of the meteor falls to the ground in dark flight, and the speed is reduced to that of a free falling body. The dark flight usually lasts for several minutes, in sharp contrast to the mere seconds' duration of the brilliant fireball.

Larger rocks
The third type of interaction between meteoroids and the atmosphere is a rare phenomenon. If the meteoroid is bigger than a few meters in diameter, the retardation through the atmosphere will be low. The body will disintegrate only slightly. It will hit the surface of the Earth with a velocity of several km/s, and make a meteorite crater. Evaporating substances will make the meteor shine until it hits the ground.

Source: Norwegian Astronomical Society

I've also seen meteors that appeared to be falling just a little distance away, and so have many others, but there are not too many craters about... Go figure...

This research also suggests that it's extremely unlikely:

Abstract

A fireball was photographed with a luminous trajectory below a height of 20 km. On Aug. 3, 1984, seven stations photographed this slow moving fireball, which traversed 94 km of luminous trajectory in 9.2 sec and terminated its visible flight at a height of 19.1 km. The computed dark flight trajectory intersected the surface close to Valec, a small village 40 km west of Brno. The Valec fireball was the lowest photographed fireball ever. The Valec fireball was photographed by fish eye cameras. The positional precision of all the records were within the range of 1 to 2 minutes of arc. All computations were done using the FIRBAL program, a set of almost 4000 Fortran statements run on EC 1040 computer. The average computed mass at the terminal point, i.e., the predicted mass of the biggest meteorite, was 16 kg. This number is based on the dynamical data at the terminal point solely. Visual data was also collected from occasional observers. This observed phenomenon is discussed.

Source: The Valec fireball and predicted meteorite fall

Tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of meteors have been photographed since meteor astronomy first emerged as a true branch of science in it's own right, and the lowest recorded luminous trajectory was only just under 20 km.

Just out of curiosity, roughly how many meteors would you say that you have seen?

Originally posted by johnsky
Only the two I saw didn't produce a loud noise... so the meteor they saw must have been either traveling incredibly faster, or was larger than mine.

Actually, the faster a meteoroid is traveling when it enters our atmosphere, the less chance it has of surviving, and making it to the ground. Sonic booms are a good sign that something made it down low enough to survive, and you are correct that this one was probably larger than the ones you saw.

Any meteoroid that's big enough to make sonic booms is probably a sizable chunk of rock, perhaps 2-4 m across to begin with. Something that big would also light up the ground like it was day time.

[edit on 29-3-2009 by C.H.U.D.]

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 12:14 AM
link   
I live in Virginia Beach and I sure heard the boom and felt the house shake! I did see a quick flash out the corner of my eye right before. I sat there for a minute, stunned, then got up and looked outside. It "felt" weird

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Here's another local article which describes the same thing but it has a photo whose file is :
h ttp://media2.wavy.com//photo/2009/03/29/metero_20090329235850_640_480.JPG

so it has the correct date but I am not sure if it is an actual photo of the object or just a stock photo of what people have described, the caption didn't help much in saying it was or wasn't an actual image of the lights from tonight.

www.wavy.com

I am sure that some pics or footage shold surface, that area is heavily populated and with the concentration of military in the area there has to be plenty of surveillence cams and traffic cams which could have at least caught the effects of the lights as the object flew over.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

Under the pic it states 'a white light like this one'
second line

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

Time for some sleep

Maybe something will surface in the morning, thanks for pointing out what should have been obvious to me

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 12:25 AM
link   
See for all you photo skeptics.

Me and my girlfriend were taking a walk in elizabeth city NC, it appeared very briefly, there is no way anyone could of caught a picture or have been ready to as fast as this thing flew over.

I didn't hear the boom, but I could of sworn it was about to make one.

It streaked light behind it, not like anything being burned off, but like actually light trailing behind it. It was reflective at start, burning bright blue and orange, but the transitions appeared extremely metallic.

Had the police not been driving right by, same reason I was walking away from that area, I would of watched it more closely, but the NWO pigs made me a little jumpy.

the cop story?
Oh man, you guys would be amazed by this one.
Only furthers my hate and stance on the police.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

I agree, there is a good chance someone captured this... stay tuned!

That "photo" is not it however. Looks a drawing from a whiteness or an artists impression lol... a meteor will look like a straight streak, with bursts of light along it in some cases.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThirdJohnAdams
Me and my girlfriend were taking a walk in elizabeth city NC, it appeared very briefly, there is no way anyone could of caught a picture or have been ready to as fast as this thing flew over.

There's always a chance...

There are also fireball camera networks, all sky cameras of all descriptions, CCTV cameras, web cams, police dash cams...

Someone has probably caught it.

Originally posted by ThirdJohnAdams
It streaked light behind it, not like anything being burned off, but like actually light trailing behind it.

Yeah, they often do that. If it lasts less than a second, it's known as a wake, more, and it's known as a persistent train. I've seen self- luminous persistent trains that have lasted for a few minutes, and there are recorded cases where the train has remains visible for tens of minutes. Neat ain't they!

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Well I'm glad someone could explain it right.
I looked up those terms. Sounds about right on the dot.

I was really hoping it was something more, but I can live with the truth.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by way2slo

There was a really loud Boom in Hampton Roads area tonight that was felt over a 150 mile radius. Some say they seen a large ball or flame. The Police scanner has been blowing up non stop for the past hour. It will be on the news im sure. Almost all my neighbors came out of their houses to see what was going on.

hamptonroads.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

I am right up here in Washington, D.C., and I am also extremely familiar with the entire Hampton Roads area.

I never heard any explosions, and I was outside not too long before the given time of the incident in question. The entire time thereafter I have been sitting right where I am located currently in my house, which gives me a direct and clear FOV to the West, and the sky overhead as well. I witnessed no flashes either.

I know that I am about a 3-4 Hour drive away from the VA Beach, Norfolk, Newport News area, but I figured that I would still give you a STATREP from the National Capital Region.

BTW, Meteors can be extremely close, or seem that way due to their brilliancy, and contrary to what the one witness described, it would obviously need to be relatively low in ALT in order to produce such a "Sonic Boom". A few years ago a similar incident occurred right over my area, and a Meteor crashed into a field in Pennsylvania after being spotted in NC, VA, and MD.

I will also mention that over the years I have from time to time heard unknown booms where I reside, but living in a highly populated area, as I do, it is nearly impossible to determine the source without a visual observation behind the cause of such. It could be anything from MIL Aircraft, to Construction Work, to my Nutty Neighbor up the street who has a VERY questionable Mental State.

Anyways, keep us informed

Check out the current status of the story here: WAVY-TV10-Loud Boom Heard

[edit on 3-30-2009 by TheAgentNineteen]

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by C.H.U.D.
Yeah, they often do that. If it lasts less than a second, it's known as a wake, more, and it's known as a persistent train. I've seen self- luminous persistent trains that have lasted for a few minutes, and there are recorded cases where the train has remains visible for tens of minutes. Neat ain't they!

Now I can visualize it because I have seen the trails behind meteors and even heard a weird noise. A year or two ago I heard a series of quick booms and looking back I wonder if I should have looked out at the sky to look for light.

Where did this thing land? Ocean?

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 01:09 AM
link   
It was just so low. It was like where a bird should be,” she said. “It was definitely heading downward.”

She was on the phone with a friend a minute later when she heard an explosion.

Kenneth Martin of Chesapeake’s South Norfolk neighborhood said he saw what appeared to be lightning, then the sky turned blue.

Then, he said, a white ball of fire shot close to the ground and appeared to burn out. He said he’s sure it was a meteor.

“It was so vivid in the sky, blinking,” he said. “It was the strangest thing I’ve ever seen.”

im not to sure, sounds like ufo vs military weapon "well thats what i hope" hehe

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by welivefortheson
i wonder what on earth it could be?

perhaps perhaps some ai V?

Could be Optimus Prime

Hope these things are coming from the collided satellites, if not, we might expect the worst >> What we're seeing could be debris preceding a much larger object headed for Earth... for a worst case scenario

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by ahnggk

hmm dont like the sound of that

btw this is the seventh so far

if you count all the others

to many for my liking neways and this one sounds spooky!! did the others all make sonic boom type noises??

sounds cool neways wonder if it hit the ground?

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 02:50 AM
link   
If it did, it's in the middle of the dismal swamp, or the backwoods.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure it was heading south.

It ran parallel to US-17 S, in the sky at least.
And it was low where I saw it.
I'm confused as to how no boom was heard here, when it looked like it was seconds away from hitting the trees.

Very weird.

reply to post by symmetricAvenger

There were other incidents like this one around the country?

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 03:47 AM
link   
You've got to be ****ing kidding me! I had a dream last night about 4 orange lights in the sky, and two fighter jets scrambling to intercept, when one of the orange lights fell away from the others.

Creepy!

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join