It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Taiwan seeks the F-35B

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   
It makes sence. However, even the F-35 would not be able to penatrate more advanced systems and it safe to say that taiwan will not get the F-22. The STOVL variant makes sence for them and would help alot in the event of a conflict with China.

But Ill bet $$$$ to donuts that the ChiComs panties will be in a wad if this happens.

26/03/2009 14:23 BEIJING, March 26 (RIA Novosti) -- Taiwan is looking to buy U.S. "fifth-generation'' fighter jets featuring stealth and vertical takeoff capabilities, a Chinese daily reported on Thursday.

"Taipei has plans to buy an F-35 modification with vertical takeoff to provide support to naval infantry operations," Jin Nian Jiancao said.

It said there were two main reasons Taipei wanted to buy F-35s.

"Firstly, the existing fleet of Taiwanese fighters can be easily destroyed with Russian-made S-300 surface-to-air missiles deployed in mainland China," it said. "Secondly, F-35s will make Taiwan less dependent on airfields in the event of an armed conflict between the two coasts of the Taiwan Strait."

The fighter needs a runway of 300 meters or less to take off.

Washington has yet to react to Taipei's request. Observers attribute the U.S. silence to fears of a critical reaction from Beijing. The U.S. has stalled on the island's request for 66 less advanced F-16s.

Taiwan first expressed an interest in F-35s as early as 2006, according to Jane's Defence Weekly.
www.globalsecurity.org...

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   
China really has us in a bind here don't they.

Don't do what we say and we won't buy your debt. Something needs to be done to knock China off its high horse. That is one country I don't want in any kind of super power position.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

With the games they've been playing with Taiwan getting the Falcons, I don't know if we'll see any F-35s with their flags on them. It makes perfect sense, and is one of the best airframes for them though.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

I suspect that this may be a bone they have to throw the airframe makers because its just a matter of time before the cut the F-35 buy IMHO. Exports would be able to make up some of that IMHO

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

Yeah, I have the feeling you're right. Sooner or later they're going to HAVE to cut the buy. With the cuts that they're talking about with the Review coming up, there's no way that they're going to let the purchase stand as it is. Letting Taiwan buy some would throw a nice bone to LM in return.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   

last weeks AWST had grim news for the C-17. Its line is pretty much dead.

20 more Raptors, but the remaining 40 will be determined by the finding of the QDR and then its fate will be decided.

However, the congress may have a thing or two to say about it as well.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

Yeah, the C-17 has been on life support for several years now. They've only had like 4 orders for the last several years.

Word is that they're going to use the QDR to gut several major projects. They want to cut AT LEAST 6-8 major projects.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Congress may step in however and say "no". It all depends on whos district gets hit etc.

If they can keep the line open they may be able to siphon off some A400 orders as well.

Remember the Seawolf? The navy did not even want the thing but they still got 3 thanks to the congress

[edit on 3/29/09 by FredT]

[edit on 3/29/09 by FredT]

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

With some of the projects they're talking about gutting I can only hope they do. Some of them make at least some sense, some of them, not so much.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 03:42 AM
link   
maybe , they would have the `new` F-15`s being offered?

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hastobemoretolife

Not really. Considering we have more pressing issues with North Korea, we may chose to spend our political currency there.

I don't know..

However, I do think a sale will happen soon rather than later; esp given the current economy. It would put people to work.. that's the message Obama is spreading, yes?

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin
maybe , they would have the `new` F-15`s being offered?

It could be, they do not have any as of right now so they would be new builds and not conversion as mentined. It would provide them with frontal stealth etc.

But I think they really want that STOVL ability as they foresee the Chicoms bombing the main runways anyway. It would also allow them to operate off on USMC and USN carriers.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
very true - but with congress stalled over F16`s which they allready operate so i think the chances of them getting the F35 is slim

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
If they are wanting to buy the F-35 for its vertical take off capability, as stated, they are in for a big disppointment.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I think the US is unlikely to be selling Taiwan anything that has offensive potential vs. the mainland.

Stealth swing-role fighters would qualify IMO.

The US has been pretty careful about not crossing that line.

If you look at what we sell the ROC, for example Kidd DDG's but not Aegis, we're careful to limit their technological edge over the PRC.

The US wants a market for it's products, and deter the PRC from a military solution, but it's not eager to encourage Taiwan to test its chances - that wouldn't be good for anyone

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
But Ill bet $$$$ to donuts that the ChiComs panties will be in a wad if this happens.

Not particularly.

It would only serve to keep them on their toes I would expect.

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Don't do what we say and we won't buy your debt.

Its called reaping what you sow.

Something needs to be done to knock China off its high horse. That is one country I don't want in any kind of super power position.

Its entirely your own fault.

You yanks (the govt) have been spending like there is no tomorrow... well, newsflash - its gettin near midnight, and soon tomorrow will be upon us.

Just like the Greek Empire, the Roman Empire and the English... the American (economic) empire of the 2nd half of the 20th century is soon to be replaced by the Chinese (economic) empire of the 21st century. Its all cyclic - one cycle is ending, another beginning.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 05:44 AM
link   
The banks will buy us all up through systematic inflation, then deflation.

You're right is it in cycles.

[edit on 7/4/2009 by C0bzz]

new topics

top topics

join