It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

At least 8 dead in nursing home shooting

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Velocity

Originally posted by MegaCurious
But hey, that's how America is. Doesn't surprise me at all. Very hypocritical and self-destructive. Very angry and intolerant folks that say one thing, but think something completely different.

And yet, America was founded as and remains a shelter against the oppression and savagery that consumes the rest of the world. Last time I checked, millions of immigrants come to America every year, both legally and otherwise, preferring our hypocrisy and intolerance to the benevolent totalitarianism and outright barbarity of their homelands.

We're not "angry" in America... Don't confuse anger with defiance, because we are definitely a defiant culture. That's our heritage, it's what distinguishes us from the rest of the world — No, we don't want your Global Union, we don't want your thin-skinned political correctness, we don't want your currency, we don't want your secularism, and we don't need your help.

Seriously, for the rest of the world to criticize America in any respect is like a bunch of pygmies criticizing the height of a giant — "Look, everyone! The giant isn't 500 feet tall after all! It's only 495 feet tall!"

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Just get back in line to receive your handouts.

— Doc Velocity

I applaud your post!

Straight, Honest, and stated with brutal honest facts! Sometimes I find it difficult to express my thoughts in such a manner.

[edit on 29-3-2009 by infolurker]

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Jigore

Yes very often guns do save lives.

I bet if anybody on that greyhound up in Canada last year had a gun, that knife wielding man would've been stopped form decapitating that man.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by chise61
reply to post by Jigore

Yes very often guns do save lives.

Anybody remember the Palm Pistol?

Specifically designed so invalids, the elderly and otherwise handicapped could have and operate a simple firearms to defend themselves. In one moment approved by the FDA as a medical device meaning insurance and medicare would/could have put these in the hands of just about anyone unable fend off a mugger, rapist, attacker. In another moment die to the outrage of the ignorant stripped of its "medical device" classification.

Good thing none of those old folks were armed. Using bodies to catch the bullets is a much better option all around.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 07:28 AM
link   
just shows Americans don't give a crap about the elderly or mentally ill ... because they're not "cute".

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Donnie Darko

Not so.
New reports are saying the gunman was after his ex-wife.
Nothing to do with not caring about old, un-cuddly people.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   
It is truly a shame that this sad news story was started in a thread by someone who simply wanted to bash Americans.

If it were not... just think of the depth it could've reached. We could have discussed how hard nursing home life actually is and how sad and terrifying it was/is for those residents, family members and employees. Or how severely unprotected and vulnerable nursing homes are. What a pathetic coward the murderer is. Perhaps how we are all sick of men thinking because their wife left them that they have a right to go on murdering sprees. Etc.

But no... the thread was not started with unselfish, compassionate intentions.

Wish there were minus marks to give some posters/members.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Ok , so someone wants to start badmouthing the British now ? Ok , I will admit that I would personaly prefer the death scentence for anyone caught with an offensive weapon, anyone gulity of murder or repeated violence , and anyone caught in an illegal act who is a member of a gang. But the trouble with the death penalty is , that the governments of the world are WRONG. Yes ghettoism is wrong , but its not worse. The Chinese government has begun a program of street executions in its country. A guilty party will be lead to the back of a large van, put inside, killed, and then his organs harvested, his blood products removed, every reusable resource of the human body stripped, and anything unusable is burned. Imagine if our government here in the UK got that power? I would seriously hate that, and unfortunately thats the only deterant against the level of sin and loathing we have in this country . So catch 22. Do you give the corrupt criminals with good lawyers the power to kill the ones with worse lawyers? Or do you let all the scum have the same chance of survival ? Either way the innocent suffer, and theres NOTHING we can do about it , except decide to live good lives. And its the same in your nation to a degree so dont give me any damned BS about the UK right ? At least my nations government had to be FOOLED into going to war, rather than outright wanting to murder hundreds of thousands , the majority of whom were not shooting back .

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

Yes, but most of Americans THOUGHT WE were saving the Iraqis from a dictator who was slaughtering them for power!
Thats what most of us thought!

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
any issue could be made of these scenarios. Is this really about guns or is this about women not getting enough protection from domestic violence. I am sure she left him for the same crazy reasons that set him off. Is this about this countrie's apathetic and stigmatic view of mental health. How many doctors has this guy seen and not been diagnosed?

It is sad. And I may get flamed for this but I am glad she didn't work in a school.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by True Brit

True Brit,

You need some serious practice fellow!! Ever heard of the Opium Wars carried on by the British Government on behalf of the Crown or merchants in the Orient...India to China??

Contrary to what most think by the name "Opium Wars" the British Government was not trying to stop Opium Distribution ...they were supporting opium distribution by fighting the Chinese who where in fact trying to stop opium from destroying their country.

The British Government were aiding and abetting Drug Dealers...the Merchants of the Crown..who were actually highly organized gangs of merchants/drug dealers...with government backing.
Benjamin Desraeli himseslf writes about this sordid history of England.

Most Americans are not that fluent on what the Crown was doing in India and the massacres that took place there as well....much less what was going on in China.

It was the same with the Boers in South Africa....for the mineral rights.

Also there is a lot of violence going on in England and the UK today. It is j not just gun violence but it is also non gun violence nonetheless and on the increase. It is the same in Australia. Gun violence is on the rise in these countries and many of the politicians find it unexplainable and or dont want to confront what they have done/caused.
This is also being attempted to be kept out of the news and information outlets here in the States..but it can be found if one looks hard on the internet.

Do not presume to lecture us about violence when there are those of us who know differently and are also versed in history.

England has a very violent history going back to some 900 AD. So spare us. I am wondering what the UK would be like if it had a population of some 300 million as regards violence.

I know too what was going on during and leading up to the English Civil War with the Roundheads, Cavaliers, and Oliver Cromwell. A very violent time and often involving civilians ..not just the Armies.

This....is pitiful True Brit,

Ok , I will admit that I would personally prefer the death sentence for anyone caught with an offensive weapon,

Followed by this..

and anyone caught in an illegal act who is a member of a gang.

This shows much immaturity...Drama....and also the tendency in immaturity to want to play god. Some politicians are actually encouraging this as is the Chinese Government..and for lucre too.

To my knowledge an offensive weapon can be just about anything. Especially in a PC/drama run world. Also to my limited knowledge being a member of a gang is not a death penalty offense....nor against the law.

This is presumption of guilt when no crime has taken place.

If this is British...no thanks....keep it over there across the pond.

You will be getting a taste of this presumption of guilt when Sharia Law is finally instituted across the board...and all Englishmen are subject to it under the guise of PC. And it is coming...you can take this one to the bank.
You can see it coming.

True Brit, Dont treat us all as if we know nothing of history..some of us do in fact know some history.
England and the UK do not have the moral high ground to be lecturing us on violence. I can also make this same historical point about the continent of Europe itself. A very violent place from the Records of History.

Thanks to all for thier posts,
Orangetom

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Clearskies

Ok , great. I still dont find it ammusing that some idiot on here had to go badmouthing my nation over the gun issue. Fact is , we prefer peacable protest over criminals . We dont see killing as the solution to every little societal problem, and I can see why .
We know here in the UK that our government hates us , and wants our lives to be so hard that we can barely tie our laces without breaking a law. Is it fair that an innocent man could in the future be slain just from a parking infraction? No . If we get the death penalty back will it be used for more than violent offences ? Will it be used to crush truth and cow the people ? You can bet your butt it will . Same with guns. The powers that be in THIS country are callous and foul, and will use the arming of the populous to excuse massive cuts in policing , and the responsibility for the safety of the weak , will fall to no one. Each will be expected to defend thier own, and thats a great way to make an already tense situation worse. Ok Im not getting mugged by a street gang, the street gang is mugging seven people on different street corners and all they need is enough firearms for one each ? Oh yeah , cheers gun lobbyists. All I can say to that, is that the majority of situations that occur here in blighty either involve a gang threatening hand to hand beatings, and stabbings, and the ODD gun incident, or individuals so crazed on drugs they think they can take anyone. Here, if you come up against a lone mugger, you can drop him unless you are frail , and come out no poorer if you are lucky. You put guns in there too and you are asking for pain, retribution, blood , and death in the streets , and I mean every street and every day . That is not acceptable. I for one will not tolerate that kind of lunacy.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by orangetom1999

Opium wars ?
How many years ago was that exactly ??? Hmm a few yeah ? So what the hell relavance does that have ? Most brits wouldnt spit on an imperialist to put them out, specificaly because of our past as a marauding bunch of savages with delusions of demigodhood. I dont like that about my nation but thats way in the past, and bringing it up in relation to current affairs borders on stupidity .
Im talking about the here and now issues. You know, the ones the count for a godamn.
And another thing. I never said my nation was perfect, but the fact is to have a gun and use it in public , carry it in public, or otherwise endanger life is still a crime , and theres no sense in giving the violent maniac public , a brand new way to make them fear eachother! The death toll from such a move would be catastrophic!

[edit on 30-3-2009 by TrueBrit]

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   

I agree blanket-insulting any nation is bad and also not true!
Even in Iran, there are lots of intelligent, honest, loving people!
I hate it when someone says ALL ******* people are idiots, etc, etc....
Its really disingenuous.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   

LOL LOL True Brit,

Ancient history?? I also refered to the violence going on there today..and even down under. Did you miss that part??

Also there is a lot of violence going on in England and the UK today. It is j not just gun violence but it is also non gun violence nonetheless and on the increase. It is the same in Australia. Gun violence is on the rise in these countries and many of the politicians find it unexplainable and or dont want to confront what they have done/caused.
This is also being attempted to be kept out of the news and information outlets here in the States..but it can be found if one looks hard on the internet.

We have a RIGHT here to own and carry firearms..it is not a privilege granted by a Sovereign. This is a huge distinctiion between us and the UK and or the Continent. I told you before..we are not interested in becoming British.

Oh..by the way..I saw that video of one of your ministers Daniel Hannan MEP. Bravo!! I salute him for some common sense. We could use some like him here in the States. We are attempting to go down the same trail here as the UK. Want something to fear...True Brit?? What Daniel Hannan is speaking about is something to fear.

Thanks,
Orangetom

[edit on 30-3-2009 by orangetom1999]

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Orangetom, yeah I saw the Daniel Hannan bit where he ATE Gordon Brown and washed him down with a glass of awesome as well , and I applaud him for it, even though I have little to no respect for conservativism as a whole. I also have no problem with you not wanting to be British. Hell I wish that I was a Welshman, and that Wales was seperate to Britain! Much more peaceable and less hipocracy in the old ways than there are in the new ways , but I digress. As I originaly stated, the only reason I made my inital post was because some pig ignorant twit decided to have a pop at my nation just because we do things differently to the way they are done in the states (appart from where economic policy is concerned, where as we all know the idea seems to be put the nations grandkids in debt and buy more Bentleys).

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   
True Brit,

I, on the other hand am very conservative. I do not believe our two dominant political parties here are conservative at all. I believe they are pulling off a huge hoax on the American citizen. They are both quite liberal at the expense of the public. Particularly ...fiscally liberal.

I am proud to be a Yank...but not because of my government.

On the other hand ..history teaches me that there are others out here who are very proud to be British. I find no fault with this. A people should know their history..from who and whence they came...their generations. I am afraid many of us Yanks are remiss in this knowledge ...preferring instead to define ourselves by the products we consume. I do not find this to be good nonsense.

I am particularly interested in the History surrounding the English Civil War and Oliver Cromwell...the Ironsides. Marston Moore and Nasby Field and events leading up to him becoming Lord Protector.

I find that most of us, no matter what our politics, must needs live within some kind of budget or face economic disaster. I see no reason why a responsible, accountable government cannot do the same.

I salute Daniel Hannan for the cojones and down right good sense to make such a speech. I think it was instinctively well received by many Brits. We need many such peoples in our government with just such sense and cojones. Perhapsed even some Oliver Cromwells.

Nonetheless to maintain such as the topic of the OP..this is a tragic event but in no way should be allowed to take away from those of us who uphold he law. For we have a Right written in our Law of this Land to own such arms.

Thanks,
Orangetom

[edit on 30-3-2009 by orangetom1999]

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   
From a toddler at a nursery to a 98yr old in an old folks home. From a one-room amish schoolhouse to a huge university. From the churches to the malls to the workplaces. No one is safe.* That is the message here. They are the American equivalent of the Iraqi suicide bomber. And we are getting hit for the same reasons.

---------
*Though they haven't hit hospitals yet. That will be next.

[edit on 30-3-2009 by starviego]

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Meanwhile a HUNDRED americans are killed on the highways EVERY DAY by all the speeders and drunk drivers and red light runners and cell-phone drivers etc. Yet the media seldom talks about that and when they do they call every crash an "accident". And the libs ignore the issue also and have no interest in say lowering the speed limit or mandating loss of drivers license for DUIs or extreme speeders.

Cars are a far far bigger problem than guns but the auto industry, which makes a fortune off car crashes, has brainwashed the public into accepting the incredible highway carnage.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 04:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit

Opium wars ?
How many years ago was that exactly ??? Hmm a few yeah ? So what the hell relavance does that have ? Most brits wouldnt spit on an imperialist to put them out, specificaly because of our past as a marauding bunch of savages with delusions of demigodhood. I dont like that about my nation but thats way in the past, and bringing it up in relation to current affairs borders on stupidity .

The British were, and I believe still are under the surface, one of the most violent nations on the planet, but remember this - the British responsible for this violence were for the most part descended from Vikings, and the descendants of the Vikings, the Normans, and the purest 'British' blood is apparently found in Connemara in Ireland, which basically is because the Celts - 'True Brits' [arguments that the Celts were also invaders accepted] were driven out by the invaders.

This is not uncommon in many places in the world, that the indigenous population has been displaced, but let's face it, you can take that theory back to a place where it suits you as an argument.

Im talking about the here and now issues. You know, the ones the count for a godamn.
And another thing. I never said my nation was perfect, but the fact is to have a gun and use it in public , carry it in public, or otherwise endanger life is still a crime , and theres no sense in giving the violent maniac public , a brand new way to make them fear each other! The death toll from such a move would be catastrophic!

[edit on 30-3-2009 by TrueBrit]

Personally, as a Brit (of Welsh descent and living in Ireland!), I think we should have the right to have weapons in our home for protection. I am personally not convinced that the death toll would be catastrophic and I think that it may make the criminally intent consider their actions before embarking on the plunder of a persons home.

It is a fact the the curtailing of weapons in the UK has NOT lessened the gun crime, or the number of guns in circulation.

You cannot say that crimes such as that posted by the OP won't happen, since the reason for the more severe curtailment of weapons was the Dunblane shootings. It does happen in the UK, it will happen in the UK, and in the UK and anywhere else it will not be stopped by the restricting of personal weapons.

Another poster mentioned that we will eventually be under Sharia law. Again personally I think that is unlikely as the swell from the 'silent' masses leads me to believe that would not be allowed to happen. I do have a grudging respect for Sharia law, with the great exception of the standing of women in the eyes of such law, and I honestly believe that a much tougher attitude towards sentencing would be beneficial - but again it would not stop the incidents such as the subject of this thread.

[edit on 31/3/2009 by PuterMan]

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

PuterMan,

Your point about Sharia Law...I disagree...not because of the Public. I made the statement about Sharia Law because your politicians ....like ours here in the States are not that smart. I am not saying that the public is not that smart...but that your political leaders are not. THey will at some time vote it in if it means they will be allowed to keep their power and political perks of office. In otherwords the body politic is not beyond selling, trading, bartering the souls of the people for power. History is replete with this going on.

As to the swell from the silent masses...perhapsed. I do know that with alcohol prohibition or what was called the Volstead Act here in the States ...there was a silent disagreement with the law and underground bars sprung up all over the country...sort of a silent masses kind of disobedience. It will remain to be seen if the UK peoples will do the same.
I just dont think like our politicians ...yours are all that smart as well.
Like our politicians...yours appear to be representing someone...but not often the people.

Thanks,
Orangetom

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join