It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Rise Of The ATS Invertebrate: or, it takes a spine to be a conspiracy theorist.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I've been on ATS since 2004 and I've spent A LOT of time on here. Now, I have to admit that the quality of many postings aren't on par with some of the original content but I suppose that could be blamed on changing trends within internet communities. The net is faster these days, users are used to things like Twitter that don't require much information per posting but offer continuous information in small pieces.

That being said, I have to say that recently I've noticed a VAST decrease in pointless arguing between posters. It was fairly common place, hell, it was basically expected, that if you started a thread you were in for a fight. If you stated anything that could be deemed to match the opinion of a certain "side" then you were in for a fight. If you stated your opinion in any way you were promised to be told you were wrong within the day.

However, these days it seems that I can carry on a conversation with multiple users on any given subject and not watch it degrade into bickering and quote for quote fighting.

Honestly, I like it friendly.

I don't like the fact that many newer members have a lot more spirit and tenacity than they do an understanding of certain subjects but they're new and they seem to be willing to listen to logic and reasoning as long as it's sound.

I have to admit, I've been enjoying the friendly and cordial conversations I've been having on ATS lately even if it is at the expense of high quality, information rich postings and threads.

(please excuse my lack of eloquence but I'm sick and kind of out of it)

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadowflux

I agree, It's been so much nicer and more like a community than a mental asylum on here lately.

Still the odd spat here and there, and sometimes...it's needed....to be a little blunt.
But I'm glad we're actually all getting along and debating and talking calmly and in a civil manner

But then I've been avoided topics i know I'll argue with people on....or those that are just blatantly inflammatory.
I think that helps...

[edit on 2/4/09 by blupblup]

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   

However, these days it seems that I can carry on a conversation with multiple users on any given subject and not watch it degrade into bickering and quote for quote fighting.

That's good, I guess it depends on who you run into.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   
To be completely honest I had taken a break from ATS just because my attention tends to wander from time to time and when I came back I was almost creeped out by how nice everyone was being to each other.

I was also a little worried because the one topic I've seen almost everyone agree with each other on has been "revolution" and "over throwing the government" and other sort of statements like that.

I like the way people are nice to each other though, it makes me feel that if I did have a legitimate difference of opinion with another user that we could debate about it in a friendly and rational manner, each voicing our opinions and maybe coming to an eventual compromise.

I also feel more inclined to create a thread because I feel the threat of trolls has gone down significantly.

Plus, coming from New York a pleasant conversation is sometimes a treat for me

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Now just imagine if Mr. Milk spent all of that energy complaining to congress or his senator instead of the MODS at ATS. Imagine the things that could happen.

Eye of Eagle

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 12:20 AM
link   
what about low level packet filtering

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 01:25 AM
link   
The 'we' you speak of are making judgements... it is merely your opinion there is 'over-sensitivity' ... offence is just a simple perspective... and that does not make your judgements true or false or right or wrong.

My prediction: You will find yourselves in deep sh*t if you persist in giving advice like this. Do not set yourselves up as judges - you cannot tell someone who is offended they 'are not offended' - its ALL personal to them! and you are no authority on what offends the individual...only on your individual selves.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   
why don't we all just agree with each other, how nice and sanitized that would be.

anyone want to play snap or old maid?

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by AncientMy Enemy
why don't we all just agree with each other, how nice and sanitized that would be.

anyone want to play snap or old maid?

There is a vast difference in being civil, mindful and respectful of other people compared to ass-kissing or just agreeing with people for the sake of it.

What would be the point in that?

It's just nice after all the arguing of late, that some people are just getting along and having fun.

Sorry that's a problem for you..... Life must be fun huh?

[edit on 3/4/09 by blupblup]

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
You will be the better for it, and you will evolve a spine to be envied.

Amen. Spines are earned, errr, evolve via a combination of civil and harsh discourse, as was reminiscent a few years ago on this board. But yeah, I would agree with the message that you are sending out to the ATS community.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 05:42 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Well said and explained

It really does get tiring whenever a thread turns into one of those "Mine's better than Yours" kinda ego trip. I love this site because of the wealth of information that it provides for my learning...No one can know EVERYTHING and be correct just about ANYTHING..

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by KembaraLangit
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Well said and explained

It really does get tiring whenever a thread turns into one of those "Mine's better than Yours" kinda ego trip. I love this site because of the wealth of information that it provides for my learning...No one can know EVERYTHING and be correct just about ANYTHING..

I agree with most of what you stated, but must simply add:

I often enjoy some of the heated discourse, it offers color to an otherwise drab world.
(It is like picking a scab, you know you really shouldn’t but it feels good just the same.)
I am not advocating anger management exercises mind you.

That is why we love those contrived, faux MSM “split-screen” battles. It gives us a side to root for.
Otherwise this place would be a boring type of ping-pong spelling bee if politeness prevailed.

We members share a voyeuristic curiosity and enjoy seeing a closed-minded individual with shallow logic reduced to a pulp.
(As often happens to me.)

Luckily, the mods generally offer a wide swath of leeway to passionate opinion and bestow tolerance.
(Otherwise I would not be allowed to stay.)

Humans by nature are social creatures who have grown tired of the solo retreat
of a lone internet experience, hence the recent rise of the plethora social-networking sites. Despite the fact that ATS offers a cloak of anonymity, it still seems to satisfy some purpose for our collective being and self expression.

I suspect the originators of this site are highly media savvy, erudite and balanced. They seem to be building a “bottom-up” empire versus the “top-down” attempt we see on MSM as evidenced by the alliances forged with Facebook, Twitter etc.

They are constantly refining the features and infrastructure of this site as evidenced by the recent media portal. The MSM is woefully clamoring to develop the type of real time, social interaction and duplicity we all enjoy here at ATS.

If only things could remain status quo forever, but change is imminent and I suspect there will be growing pains.

So yes, I am coming to the realization it takes backbone to be here, and that applies
to both sides of this portal. Long live ATS, I am sincerely honored to survive here.

Without Wax...........KK

[edit on 4-4-2009 by kinda kurious]

[edit on 4-4-2009 by kinda kurious]

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by EYEOFEAGLE

Oh heck politicians don't care what we have to say.

I don't get politicians.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   

I also feel more inclined to create a thread because I feel the threat of trolls has gone down significantly.

I still cringe every time I start a thread, I am an information junky and I like to share and get the opinion of others,

I hope not to make enemies, we are all in this boat together, us little guys.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
You will be the better for it, and you will evolve a spine to be envied.

Amen. Spines are earned, errr, evolve via a combination of civil and harsh discourse, as was reminiscent a few years ago on this board. But yeah, I would agree with the message that you are sending out to the ATS community.

You know it is odd, I am much more bold in real life, and outspoken then on this forum.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   
"Perhaps the "constant complainers" should also receive some sort of appropriate penalty."

Aaaah, leave them alone. The fact that they have nothing better to do with their time is bad enough.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I was penalized 1000 points for an "off-topic, ill-mannered" post. The post was a refutation of a personal anecdote written by a woman. The mod implied that I was trying to harass her, which is completely false.

What does policy say about using personal anecdotes to support your viewpoint? What does it say about refuting posts made by women?

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by vcwxvwligen

Perhaps you should link the post here for our persusal.

In my experience, people can sometimes overlook how their words affect others, and don't always share the full story - just how it made THEM feel, without consideration for how it made the "target" feel.

In other words, if a mod felt that it was out of line, then it probably was.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

I won't go into details, but in summary the woman in question did not make a positive contribution to the discussion. That I expressed my indignity doesn't merit a penalty from the mods.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by vcwxvwligen

Thank you for pointing out that incredible thread... I must admit that I do not agree with you that Illusionsaregrander's comments contributed little to the thread. Her side of the story was very enlightening. I can see that she is speaking with very much thought and experience. I think the conversation showed an increase in level headedness when she inserted her two cents.

I did notice though why she may have reported you... you did make a reference to her showing a hatred...

You seem to make a lot of generalizations about men. It seems like you have a bit of haterade in your system.

I saw her comments as very enlightening from a males perspective and I appreciate the fact that I was able to see them and thereby possibly know how the other half thinks. She may not speak for a 'large' percentage of woman in your opinion but I'm sure that she represents a percentage. Which means her opinion was not a generalization of men...

At least IMHO

Rgds

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join