It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Losing loved ones when sitX happens.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by finemanm
What is sitX?

Finemanm, check out this ATS link, it gives the descriptions of sit-x and what to do about them. A must read for people who are interested in learning more about what the world may come to and how to get ready for it. If you are interested, let the survival forum know, we will point you to relevant threads and answer any questions you may have about getting ready.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anuubis
reply to post by salchanra

Good advice. I ran into a problem though. Gymnema only grows in the rainforest's of central and southern India and parts of Africa.

And in greenhouses !!!!!!

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by finemanm
What is sitX?

I'm not sure what that term means, a google search did not reveal anything. I am assuming it is the end of modern civilzation, but I would like to know more.

A generic acronym we use Sit x or TEOTWAWKI to describe a diaster man made or natutral that can screw up your chances of staying alive.
Fire, Flood, Storm, Quake, Tsunami, Volcanic Eruption, Pryroclastic flow,Mud Slide, Ice storm, Terror attack, civil unreast, war, pandemic or epidemic, food shortages, fuel shortages, repressive government etc

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 05:34 AM
link   
First off, something like your situation puts your thinking onto another plane, you start thinking of alternatives and variations on what you would do and then think what may happen.

The trouble is when it really boils down to it, if something was to happen, whatever the situation ( X ) then YOU as an individual take priority.
I don't want to sound mean, cruel, sadistic or hypocritical but when you are in danger the first think you think of IS the first thing you should do, LOOK AFTER YOURSELF.

Now when I say this I am talking from a first aiders point of view, First aiders are taught when entering a 'dangerous' zone or even a traffic accident or unknown cause of injury area, the first thing you do is you look for danger to yourself first, then when the way is deemed clear you go to help said person in trouble, otherwise you risk becoming another victim and then you cannot help anyone.

Situation X's are the same, you have a family member who may slow you down , your second impulse is to help them ( the first being to flee ) You may be trying to help them but in the long run they may take you down as well.

For example :

A nuclear strike on your city ( hypothecially speaking) or ( more likely these days) Bio terror attack, you hang around thinking of not only your needs but also they're needs as well, in the meantime your chances of survival are diminishing by every second you delay, I don't think the person ( no offence intended) who has limited mobility would want you to die whilst trying to save them, Most family or friends would want YOU to survive and understand that you had to leave them behind ( most if not all people DO want to live , and most genuine , honest people would prefer a swifter death than a prolonged agonising slow death and wouldn't want YOU to suffer with them).

In a quick getaway situation ( X) then speed is paramount, grab what you can , who you can and get away quick, kids can run, so can most elderly if they have too, ( believe me, I have seen elderly move very fast when a bus is about to hit them, ( many years ago ).

People want to help others as much as they can but too many people delay and so join the casualty lists.
Ask this person you are concerned about what they would do in any given situation ( X) , what would they need? want ? require?

I'm certain, that if I was incapacitated I would not want someone , family or friend to risk their wellbeing or life in a vain attempt to save me, I would rather die knowing they had a greater chance at life than hanging around for me and losing a chance for a life when all I wuold do is slow them down or be a burden on their supplies . If I cannot contribute to their and my own wellbeing then I shouldn't be there mooching off their supplies, even a mobility limited person can prepare camp supplies or prepare food for the hunter gatherers when they return.
But ONLY if you get them out in time.
If its a slow situation (X) say economic and social collpase then you have far more time to worry about the needs of others as well as yourself.

On a side note its great to hear that you are concerned about your relative enough to wonder where you can get supplies of much needed medicines and ways to extract these without the need for drug companies, and even though I have said I would help those who could move , even I consider who I would go for , and even though she's elderly (and nags a lot)I would go to try and help my Grandmother, after all she's family. And that is after all what we ALL are, a family of Man.

In a situation (X) it is difficult to make rational choices , as we are still people ( civilised, or supposed to be anyway) we would think about helpng others but we are still animals and the impulse for self preservation is strong and sometimes instinct takes over and you are swept up in emotions you cannot control, only after the event and the dust has settled do you start to think like a rational Human being, with hindsight , you think about what you could've done, who you could've saved, then you start to think negatively and thats not conducive to surviving.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 06:05 AM
link   
I always think back to a heated argument i had on another forum with some ladies, they were peace campaigner, eco hippy, greener living, self reliance types. I happened to mention I was a survivalist and that set them off, " OH" they announced " If there is a nuclear war or global disaster on that scale we hope we are killed in the first wave / blast ETC

They could not face continuing to live in a world knocked out of all recognition and were utterly hostile to me and my associates.

I replied " Thats fine by me ladies if you want to run out and let the bomb, wave, virus or whatever take you because YOU dont want to survive........ But what abbout your children ??? Do you want them to die ? Dont they have the right to choose for themselves AND who will love them and care for them if you run out and throw yourselves under the next bomb ?".

Life has a funny way of going on, and we have a duty to fight like hell to live as long as we can, often because other people are relying on us.
NR

[edit on 30-3-2009 by Northern Raider]

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Northern Raider

Hehe NR, you should have been more 'informative' to the poor guy finemanm.

SitX or Situation X ( Situation ? - sounds a bit daft) X being the 'disaster' being as NR put it , flood , fire, famine, war , either bio terror, nuclear attack, foreign nation invasion or war, alien invasion, economic and / or social collapse, armed coup, or even zombie infestation.

TEOTWAWKI - The End Of The World As We Know It.
WTSHTF - When The Sh** Hits The Fan
and various other cutdown versions.

Mind you if the Sh** does hit the fan I'd rather shout The Sh** has hit the fan than try to think about spelling it out in letters to someone who'll then ask me what does it all mean anyway?

[edit on 30/3/09 by DataWraith]

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Annubis I am sorry to hear about your father. I recently had the conversation with my mother about a bug out situation. Her reply was go without me. I wouldn't want to live in a world like that. I got the feeling she was telling me, save who you can, don't worry about me. I still took it pretty hard. The rest of my extended family is too far away for me to help if any situation occurs. Although I hate to say it, they are not interested in preparations.

Spiritowl

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Any woman who thinks that NR isn't thinking too hard.

Children often survive. Being a child left alone in a harsh world because your parents were fatalistic doorknobs is NOT good sense.

Worse, those women are unlikely to be part of the first round of people taken out. That means that they will survive AND be a problem because they will be hurt/sick/dying slowly before their realize their mistake.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Anuubis, there are several herbs that can help and I'll compile a list for posting later. (having computer problems
)

Diet really is the main "fix". Even the herbs would just be supplemental to a very strict diet. I doubt that your dad would be willing to change his ways this late in the game but you can always present the idea and let him decide.

Sorry to hear his diabetes is so uncontrolled.

[edit on 30-3-2009 by whitewave]

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons
Any woman who thinks that NR isn't thinking too hard.

Children often survive. Being a child left alone in a harsh world because your parents were fatalistic doorknobs is NOT good sense.

Worse, those women are unlikely to be part of the first round of people taken out. That means that they will survive AND be a problem because they will be hurt/sick/dying slowly before their realize their mistake.

People often underestimate the bond between good parents and their offspring, when we first got some girls in my regiment back in the late 80s I and my colleagues had some diffuculty in motivating these female troops as we could not sweat at them, hit them or scream at the to get them psyched up for the asssault course. A colleague tried the implied threat that the last five across the course would have to sleeep with the instructors, that had no effect , then another chap said look just imagine that if you dont get across this assault course in record time and rescue your kids a bunch of russians will ptrobably gang rape them like they did to the German females at the end of WW2........... Never seen so many women fight to get to the other side first as happened then.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Annubis, sorry about yor Dad.

One thing that plagues my immediate family is "depression."

There rae those close to me that IF and WHEN SitX, or SHTF...or a worse case scenario TEOTWAWKI happens, I believ that their depression would be totally debilitating. Maybe to the point of suicide.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by WatchRider

I feel ya. I had my wife finally seeing the big picture and opening her eyes to world events but now she's back to her "secure world" belief. Fortunately for me my brothers see the big picture so it won't be just me and my daughter.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by DataWraith

I know that i have to look after myself first. I took an EMT course so it was drilled in. I also know in order to take care of anyone else i have to be in top shape. I also know that i have to look out for my daughter before anyone else.

And i'm not too worried about a nuclear strike. If one hit here them someones guidance system seriously malfunctioned

[edit on 30-3-2009 by Anuubis]

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Northern Raider
I always think back to a heated argument i had on another forum with some ladies, they were peace campaigner, eco hippy, greener living, self reliance types. I happened to mention I was a survivalist and that set them off, " OH" they announced " If there is a nuclear war or global disaster on that scale we hope we are killed in the first wave / blast ETC

They could not face continuing to live in a world knocked out of all recognition and were utterly hostile to me and my associates.

I replied " Thats fine by me ladies if you want to run out and let the bomb, wave, virus or whatever take you because YOU dont want to survive........ But what abbout your children ??? Do you want them to die ? Dont they have the right to choose for themselves AND who will love them and care for them if you run out and throw yourselves under the next bomb ?".

Life has a funny way of going on, and we have a duty to fight like hell to live as long as we can, often because other people are relying on us.
NR

[edit on 30-3-2009 by Northern Raider]

I hate people like that. They don't consider how their actions would affect their children or consider how their children would survive in a screwed up world.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Northern Raider

Originally posted by Anuubis
reply to post by salchanra

Good advice. I ran into a problem though. Gymnema only grows in the rainforest's of central and southern India and parts of Africa.

And in greenhouses !!!!!!

Problem is that i live too far north. We get plenty of sunlight in the spring and summer, but not nearly enough in the fall and winter for a greenhouse to work. And if the sh!t hits the fan and we don't have power, then i will have no way to guarantee being able to preserve enough to last.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spiritowl
Annubis I am sorry to hear about your father. I recently had the conversation with my mother about a bug out situation. Her reply was go without me. I wouldn't want to live in a world like that. I got the feeling she was telling me, save who you can, don't worry about me. I still took it pretty hard. The rest of my extended family is too far away for me to help if any situation occurs. Although I hate to say it, they are not interested in preparations.

Spiritowl

I'm lucky in that situation, most of my family lives close enough to get here in a couple of hours. My mother would be the same as yours if presented with the situation but i absolutely couldn't care less if she survives. My dad on the other hand has always, without knowing it, prepared me for sitX. It will be a shame to lose his wisdom and knowledge but he taught my brothers and i very well.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by whitewave
Anuubis, there are several herbs that can help and I'll compile a list for posting later. (having computer problems
)

Diet really is the main "fix". Even the herbs would just be supplemental to a very strict diet. I doubt that your dad would be willing to change his ways this late in the game but you can always present the idea and let him decide.

Sorry to hear his diabetes is so uncontrolled.

[edit on 30-3-2009 by whitewave]

I look forward to any list' people can help with.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   
My family generally considers me to be "half a bubble off" when I start talking about TEOTWAWKI. I do love my family dearly, but they refuse to listen to my "paranoid rhetoric". I have spent a great deal of time struggling personally and spiritually over the ramifications of my situation, and I think it best if my family--should they survive--consider me gone.

That said, I will most likely bug out on my own in sitX, and my disappearance will be a mystery to them. Once the "dust has settled" (if it settles), I would very much like to reconnect with them if at all possible.

I have spent a great deal of time working on my own mental and emotional state to "brace for impact", as it were. In my mind, it is the most feasible scenario. I am not married, and--if my current situation is any indication--the end of the world will come sooner than love, for me.

Watch, now I'll leave here and someone will take an interest in me. Facepalm.

Regards,

Sol

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 05:31 AM
link   
About 15 years ago, following a traumatic family ordeal, my doctor started me on xanax for ptsd and panic attacks.

I was totally clueless about this drug and it's addictive properties. I also wasn't functioning well enough to care at the time, due to the circumstances that I was going through.

After taking this for about 5 years of my life, I wanted off of it. I found out quickly that this is not a drug you can just stop abruptly. It almost killed me. I had seizures, and had to reinstate the medicine and taper off of it slowly. The tapering process was a living nightmare.

Why am I talking about this? Cause people who take this need to think about getting off of it if they want to survive sit x.

If all hell breaks loose, and you're addicted to a benzodiazepine, and you're relying on your doctor to keep writing scripts, forget that.
And trust me, if you run out of this med and are forced into abrupt withdrawal, you won't have the strength or ability to fight, run, whatever you plan to do. Withdrawals knock you on your behind.

I've been literally begging my brother to end his script for klonopin that his doctor keeps him on. He has GAD. I've warned my brother time and again that he needs to prepare way ahead of time...

I would think that this applies to anything else addictive too.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Asherah

Not making light of your predicament, but I totally understand the need to reduce ones intake of pharmaceuticals.

For a small taster of what Asherah is talking about , and IT IS a small taster, try totally going cold turkey with either coke, pepsi, or even cigarettes, the withdrawal symptoms are not ver pleasant.

I stopped coke once and that was hell, violent moodswings , headaches and such like.
I realised that my attitude to my wife, arguing and bickering when I got home was down to me drinking lots of fizzy drinks at work, I'd get the sugar rush during the day but then when I got home I'd stopped drinking the fizzy pop, and then the downs would start as well as the arguments.

Taking a drug given by a doctor has even harder hitting symptoms when you stop it because they are alwasy more powerful, my advice is always , always use smaller doses everyday, gradually coming off the meds, never stop it all at once.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join