It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Losing loved ones when sitX happens.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I was talking to my brother yesterday and found out my dad is in the hospital again and it got me thinking about a problem i will have after sitX happens. My dad has really bad diabetes and tomorrow he has to have his legs amputated just above the knees. After his surgery i won't be able to drag him around in the woods to protect him. I know that he will be a casualty shortly after sitX starts when he runs out of insulin also.

How many of you have similar situations, and have you really thought about it and what you'll do?

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anuubis
I was talking to my brother yesterday and found out my dad is in the hospital again and it got me thinking about a problem i will have after sitX happens. My dad has really bad diabetes and tomorrow he has to have his legs amputated just above the knees. After his surgery i won't be able to drag him around in the woods to protect him. I know that he will be a casualty shortly after sitX starts when he runs out of insulin also.

How many of you have similar situations, and have you really thought about it and what you'll do?

Great sadness in this household over your dads condition, my wife is a Diabetes consultant and gets really upset when any of her patients control gets to the point where they end up losing limbs.. However I am a git and think you should now be studying how to extract Insulin from cows and pigs so as to be able to keep your Dad going. I dont believe in giving up without afight. Before synthetic insulin was created for a good few years the source of Insulin came from animals. There MUST be a survivalist method of finding and harvesting it. All I can remember is some survivalist in Canada did some research into it a few years ago and came up with a workable answer. We all die one day, but its our duty to make that day come as late as possible.

Thoughts and deepest respects to your dad, now bugger off out and by him an automatic quad.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Northern Raider

Not very much cattle around here. Most of this area is too steep and rocky for them. Lots of deer and elk though so i'll have to find out if that will work.

Oh and what is an automatic quad?

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Not very much cattle around here. Most of this area is too steep and rocky for them. Lots of deer and elk though so i'll have to find out if that will work.

An off road 4 wheel drive vehicle, altered so all the controls are on the handle bars and it has an automatic transmission. Most of the big boys make em, Yamaka, Honda, Kawasaki, John Deere etc , like a motorbike but with 4 wheels. The answer is out there we just have to find it to keep your dad rocking.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Just did a quick GOOGle with the search term, HARVESTING INSULIN FROM ANIMALS. thers thousands of links for you to check out.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Northern Raider

An off road 4 wheel drive vehicle, altered so all the controls are on the handle bars and it has an automatic transmission. Most of the big boys make em, Yamaka, Honda, Kawasaki, John Deere etc , like a motorbike but with 4 wheels. The answer is out there we just have to find it to keep your dad rocking.

Ah i see. He already has one. We just call them four wheelers over here. His hasn't been modified yet, but the only foot controls his has is the back breaks. The front are on the handle bars.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Just did a quick GOOGle with the search term, HARVESTING INSULIN FROM ANIMALS. thers thousands of links for you to check out.

Sweet, thanks. I'll check it out and see what i can find.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I watched an amazing film this month at a Green Film Festival at UCLA.
This film chronicled 6 people who had both Type 1 and 2 -
both on insulin and oral medications -
It was just a real eye opener regarding the magic of a - raw diet.
Please see if you can get the film.
I was a skeptic until I watched it.

Reversing Diabetes in 30 Days

is an independent film that chronicles six Americans with "incurable" diabetes switching their diet and getting off insulin. The film follows their remarkable journey and captures the medical, physical and emotional transformations brought on by this new diet and lifestyle change.

Filmmakers: Mark Perlmutter, Keith Lyons, Scott Maer Country: USA

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by spinkyboo

Reversing Diabetes in 30 days is an amazing film.

I need to switch over to that diet, or end up type 2 myself.

I am eating better than I used to though.

As to what we will do about loved ones during Sit x is do your best to
prepare now, but realize that EVERYONE is going to die, and survival
is about delaying that.

Do all you can within reason, harvesting insulin sounds like a good
way to do it.

Good Luck to all the good ppl !

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Ah i see. He already has one. We just call them four wheelers over here. His hasn't been modified yet, but the only foot controls his has is the back breaks. The front are on the handle bars.

See, he can still get about and with a rifle pivot his quad can be uased for hunting / patrolling

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Anuubis

I stumbled on this vid whilst researching crossbows and thought it would offer some can-do inspiration and fighting spirit..

I've been dependant on thyroxine meds for the last 13 years after radiotherapy treatment for hyperthyroid and still stubbornly believe I don't really need it...even though I do.

It was a real f'er having to face the fact that I'll be dependant for the rest of my life on the bloody meds, and it's a slow, horribly depressive demise if my stocks ran out and no chance of resupply.

If it ever (and I'm determined, never) came to that point I'll go with grace and good humour

[edit on 29-3-2009 by citizen smith]

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Sorry about your father. Good advice from all on this. Also, Ive heard the herb Gymnema can naturally raise the bodies insulin levels. Not sure where it grows or how to use it, but may be worth checking into.

Regarding the thread title. Most people who have been dear to me that would have had a tough go in sit-x have left in the past few years. They all lived good long lives, and I am glad that they went happy.

The few remaining people in my family that require special meds and regular doctors are done for. Ive resigned myself to that. They live thousands of miles away, and while other family near them will do their best, they dont fully grasp the survivalist concept and wont last long themselves.

If you are with a troubled loved one come sit-x, I wish you all the best. Socitial collapse will be hard on those in "ideal" situations, those with loved ones that need extra care will have a much more difficult time on their hands.

The people that I have cared about the most in this world have all pretty much gone. My concern is for the few remaining whom I am in no physical condition to help when sit-x comes to pass, simply too much space. Those people are the ones I worry about, because I know if the worst happens, they are likely to perish as they simply dont prepare now, and will have no idea or resources to survive anything remotely near TEOTWAWKI.

But in the end, we all will perish, those who go before us, loved or hated gave us part of their lives that helped to shape our own. All we can do for respect of our dead is to use the wisdoms given to us, try to add a little of our own, and pass it down to the next generation.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Anuubis

I have thought a lot about this. My parents are in Texas and are in their 70's. They are pretty hard boiled take care of them selves types but at this point I have to face it every day is a gift.

I faced some what of the same question when my son went into the Marines a few years ago. OK he is going in harms way and there is nothing I can do about it. He is back now and safe.

I think that we all have to face the fact that even if we do everything 100% right we can still loose. My sister in law has had a C section, if she were to get in a family way and the SHTF her chances would not be very good at all. My uncle is on oxygen and without it he will not make it.

I will not leave any one behind but I know that I can not save everyone.

I am very sorry that your father is so sick.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by spinkyboo
I watched an amazing film this month at a Green Film Festival at UCLA.
This film chronicled 6 people who had both Type 1 and 2 -
both on insulin and oral medications -
It was just a real eye opener regarding the magic of a - raw diet.
Please see if you can get the film.
I was a skeptic until I watched it.

Reversing Diabetes in 30 Days

is an independent film that chronicles six Americans with "incurable" diabetes switching their diet and getting off insulin. The film follows their remarkable journey and captures the medical, physical and emotional transformations brought on by this new diet and lifestyle change.

Filmmakers: Mark Perlmutter, Keith Lyons, Scott Maer Country: USA

Thanks for the info. I'll definately check it out. I only hope his stubborn a** will change his diet as needed.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   

See, he can still get about and with a rifle pivot his quad can be uased for hunting / patrolling

He is a very good shot even though he's older than dirt
That would give him reasons to get around more.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by citizen smith

Have you searched for any natural meds that you can make? There has to be some herbs or something to help.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by salchanra

Good advice. I ran into a problem though. Gymnema only grows in the rainforest's of central and southern India and parts of Africa.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by waterdoctor

My dad provides the same problems as your parents. He's 68 and very set in his ways. After sitX happens it is going to be a problem getting him here. He lives several hundred miles away.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 12:14 AM
link   
For me as a single dude I've just got my mum and bro left. My bro is always away fighting in the M.E. with the army. He's skilled at building sht and so on (he's an engineer) but is quite blind at the big-picture of individual survival (army provides safety blanket).
Father was more survivalist (I take after him) but he's passed on now so it's just me left.

I'm quite mercenary when it comes to my family's welfare come a real SITX unfortunately. This stems from the fact they are very unsurvivalist and statist/big government alas and won't even consider ANY form of disaster or SITX preparation. I'm considered the fringe near-outcast / black sheep for even talking about living outdoors or speaking of WTSHTF.
So for me It'll be totally solo and unable to do much until its too late to bring them along.
Just the way it goes I guess.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 12:18 AM
link   
What is sitX?

I'm not sure what that term means, a google search did not reveal anything. I am assuming it is the end of modern civilzation, but I would like to know more.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join