It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NATO Ship attacked by Pirates!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   

A German Replenishment Tanker FGS Spessart part of Standing NATO Maritime Group 1 heading towards the Horn of Africa was confronted by Pirates trying to get access to it. It appears that pirates mistaken this tanker for a merchant oiler and wanted to hi-jack this vessel.

Fortunately, nothing happened and there were no casualties on either end. Other naval ships came to assist Spessart and are now tracking this pirate vessel but there is no amplifying information on its progress.

It makes you wonder what type of equipment do this pirates have that couldn't recognize that it was a military vessel they were about to enbark. Good thing they didn't because it would've back fired big time. Maybe they will think twice before they decide to pull this trick again.

Edit: Forgot to mention the date and time, it was on the 29 Mar 09 @ approx. 9:30pm

[edit on 29-3-2009 by TheEnlightenedOne]

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   
From what I have seen the Pirates have basically nothing but audacity and guns.

As far as mistaking the ship it would be pretty easy.

Except for the NATO logo and the flag it looks like any other ship in the area. Its also with the exception of rifles and hand guns, un armed.

I doubt that these pirates keeps a copy of Janes all the worlds ships on board.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
No wonder. If this is the response to attempt to overtake NATOs vessel

Other naval ships came to assist Spessart and are now tracking this pirate vessel

Tracking. It will not stop piracy. Or eliminate social need for piracy (never been tried before but stil an option) or make it oo dangerous to be a pirate. What is going on now is just burning fuel.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeroKnowledge

I agree they need to simply take it out with as much butality as possible. Tracking it will do nothing.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I think it is time to arm the cargo ship's!
This will stop what it going on. Let a dozen of these losers
get blow out of the water and it will put a damper on taking ships.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I don't believe is a matter of blowing them out of the water, NATO has their own ROE (Rules Of Engagements) and they must exercise it at all times. Although pirates didn't open fire, Spessart to my knowledge had 0.50 Cal closed up and responded as well as a Spaniard Helicopter came to help out and also fired warning shots in an attempt to get the pirate vessels away from the tanker.

To my knowledge right now, 6 pirates were 'detained' by a Greek Rhib and were awaiting to be transfered. As to what the outcome of these pirates were, I have no idea but am sure we'll hear about this on the news (or NOT).

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 10:58 PM
link   
If you put piracy within the context of the economic downturn, then we're looking at a wave of piracy unseen since the days of exploration.

Jack Sparrow, you are going down.

new topics

top topics

join