It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Air Rifle Modification advice sought

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by crgintx
IMHO The UK's 12FPE energy limit is just plain daft. It should have been set at 850-900 fps for all calibers below .25. The British airgun industry shot themselves in the foot with that one.

This is me making a rare political statement: arms control doesn't work. It didn't during Robin Hood's time , fuedal Japan or during occupied Europe during WW2. It certainly isn't working too well in the UK from all reports I've heard since leaving in '96. GB's violent crime rate has had a dramatic rise and from what I understand it's easier and cheaper now to get an illegal handgun than it was to get a legal handgun before the ban. Same with ammo. When I lived there from 94-96, the policemen I met all told me that they feared knives far more than guns because 90% of their violent confrontations were in very close quarters with drunken pub patrons where trying draw a gun was an exercise in stupidity. Until folks in the UK and Europe realize that the police and gov't can't defend the rights of every individual citizen 24/7 will they throw off the yolk of civil oppression that they currently live under. All the surveillance cameras in the world haven't prevented one assault yet. In the states with strict gun control laws( NY, California and Illinois), their violent crime rates are higher than states like Texas, Arizona and Florida where law abiding citizens can carry concealed weapons to defend life, limb and property.

Along time ago, one of your more notable social commentators said it best: An armed society is a polite society.

One must remember that the gun laws in the UK have abspolutely nothing to do with reducing crime, Legally held guns were only ever used in less than 1% of gun crimes, and of that sub 1% most were suicides by lonely farmers. Gun control is about PEOPLE control, look around you CCTV, ID cards, armed cops, spot checks, metal detectors, anti terror laws that over rule your human rights etc. its those in power wanting to ensure thats how it remains, from the lie about the EEC which became the EU which is now turning into the EUSSR. In the US its almost imnpossible to remove the guns, so slowly step by step they restrict the supply of ammo, the type of calibres sold, where they can be sold etc etc.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by 44soulslayer
reply to post by Northern Raider

If not, then perhaps find someone to swap rifles with? Im sure the longer barrel version must be costlier than the carbine- you might find someone who doesn't mind a switch. I envy the fact that you have a 22inch barrel (man that sounds wrong...), mine is a beastly 26inches- nightmare to keep steady when shooting in anything other than prone.

Sadly they dont make this thing in Carbine form and the barrel is like a sweeping brush handle

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Just out of curiosity, why choose a CO2 rifle when there are so many options in the single cocking spring variety. I have an older Hungarian .22 air rifle that is a break barrel action and produces close to 1000 fps. Sure, reloading is liken to firing a muzzle loader but I don't have to rely on an additional source for air.

www.pyramydair.com...

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 08:13 AM
link   
There are plenty of non break barrel spring rifles. If you can get one of those i suggest doing so as the break barrel kind lose some accuracy. I like the Air Arms TX200 MK3 for a non break barrel rifle. Brilliantly accurate, extremely powerful (whilst remaining legal) and easy to maintain.

Oh and it has a built in moderator, if you add on an extra moderator the thing is absolutely silent, just perfect. You can kill one rabbit and the others won't notice, well not until they see their friend drop.

[edit on 31-3-2009 by ImaginaryReality1984]

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho

Just out of curiosity, why choose a CO2 rifle when there are so many options in the single cocking spring variety. I have an older Hungarian .22 air rifle that is a break barrel action and produces close to 1000 fps. Sure, reloading is liken to firing a muzzle loader but I don't have to rely on an additional source for air.

www.pyramydair.com...

Cos its a very light gun for my young son, and if we have to bug out he will have to carry it.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984
There are plenty of non break barrel spring rifles. If you can get one of those i suggest doing so as the break barrel kind lose some accuracy. I like the Air Arms TX200 MK3 for a non break barrel rifle. Brilliantly accurate, extremely powerful (whilst remaining legal) and easy to maintain.

Oh and it has a built in moderator, if you add on an extra moderator the thing is absolutely silent, just perfect. You can kill one rabbit and the others won't notice, well not until they see their friend drop.

[edit on 31-3-2009 by ImaginaryReality1984]

I bought myself the Lightweight BSA Lightening Carbine in 22 the same time i bought the CO" gun for my son, IMHO most modern British air rifles are more designed to look pretty than to be carried around for long periods, many of the stocks are more akin to works of art than functional pieces of equipment. Scanning various forums I notice a common trend among people who can only leggaly carry air rifles that they spend a great deal of time and effort reducing the guns weight.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Northern Raider
I bought myself the Lightweight BSA Lightening Carbine in 22 the same time i bought the CO" gun for my son, IMHO most modern British air rifles are more designed to look pretty than to be carried around for long periods, many of the stocks are more akin to works of art than functional pieces of equipment. Scanning various forums I notice a common trend among people who can only leggaly carry air rifles that they spend a great deal of time and effort reducing the guns weight.

Erm well i've never had any trouble with the ones i've owned. Yes they are heavy but that tends to be about build quality. The chinese rifles are lightweight as they tend to be rather badly made. They can be tightened up and made pretty decent of course. The Air Arms models are a personal favorite of mine and it's not like they weigh more than your average .22 rimfire rifle.

Some of the really expensive ones are actually designed as sporting rifles and not hunting rifles. Take a look at some of the Falcon ones to see that.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Just wanted to add:

Check out Prometheus pellets... they're my favourite for when you need a fast projectile combined with penetration at lower ranges (eg when shooting at a chipboard backed target at 25y). Not too shabby for hunting with either, I presume. I'm told that in the most powerful air rifles, they can break the sound barrier!

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Erm well i've never had any trouble with the ones i've owned. Yes they are heavy but that tends to be about build quality. The chinese rifles are lightweight as they tend to be rather badly made. They can be tightened up and made pretty decent of course. The Air Arms models are a personal favorite of mine and it's not like they weigh more than your average .22 rimfire rifle.

Some of the really expensive ones are actually designed as sporting rifles and not hunting rifles. Take a look at some of the Falcon ones to see that.

Dont like falcons myself but I would love an AA S410 TDR, I like things that are hidable

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by 44soulslayer
Just wanted to add:

Check out Prometheus pellets... they're my favourite for when you need a fast projectile combined with penetration at lower ranges (eg when shooting at a chipboard backed target at 25y). Not too shabby for hunting with either, I presume. I'm told that in the most powerful air rifles, they can break the sound barrier!

I bought two boxes of Promethius Hunters in .22 and a 1000 of these new fangled none DYNAMIC toxic nickel Air Bullets in 22 from the same company that makes Promethius, The guys in the gun shop ( staff and customers) were raving about them. only suitable for Gas Ram and Springer air rifles, 12.85 grains they weigh in at. My Lightening appears to digest them quite well. www.airgunpellets.com

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I own 3 AirArms and 2 BSA's. I use my .177 AirArms S-400 Xtra FAC for field target competion and have beat several other shooters who're using EV-2's, Walthers, Steyrs and USFT's. It's a hard gun to out shoot and I can rarely shoot up to its precision.

The QB-78 and 79's are great guns to tinker with. My .177 QB-79 shoots sub 1/2" groups at 25 yards right out of the box. Barrels/breach assemblies from Archer Airguns are dirt cheap. There are also aftermarket PCP ready tubes if you want to keep it stock looking. Crosman finally got off it's huge corporate butt and introduced their PCP version of the old Crosman 160/167, the Benjamin Discovery. Good luck finding one because their flying off the shelves. The gun and pump are being sold for $400 US and the new multishot Marauder is going for $500.

For a lightweight carbine, I'd go with the Crosman 2240 with a 14" barrel and shoulder stock, There are tons of aftermarket parts for Crosman's like improved sears, power
adjusters and long steel breaches which really improve their pencil barrel stability.

Spot on about the antigunners/anti hunters trying desperately to choke off ammo supplies but most Democrats secretly know that if they try to pass another 'assault weapons' ban that they'll lose the middle of the nation again which would basically give control of the Congress back to the Republicans. The Far Left of the Democrats are as completely out of touch with reality as the Far Right of the Republicans. Both are a bunch of fascist bastards who want to reserve power for themselves.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I was busy looking for PTFE tubing suppliers when I stumbled on this companys site, selling micro-fine PTFE dry-lube powder and wondered if it would be of any use for such things as dusting the bore of the barrel or piston chamber in a spring-action rifle?

link

any thoughts on whether it would improve performance?

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 03:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by crgintx
I own 3 AirArms and 2 BSA's. I use my .177 AirArms S-400 Xtra FAC for field target competion and have beat several other shooters who're using EV-2's, Walthers, Steyrs and USFT's. It's a hard gun to out shoot and I can rarely shoot up to its precision.

The QB-78 and 79's are great guns to tinker with. My .177 QB-79 shoots sub 1/2" groups at 25 yards right out of the box. Barrels/breach assemblies from Archer Airguns are dirt cheap. There are also aftermarket PCP ready tubes if you want to keep it stock looking. Crosman finally got off it's huge corporate butt and introduced their PCP version of the old Crosman 160/167, the Benjamin Discovery. Good luck finding one because their flying off the shelves. The gun and pump are being sold for $400 US and the new multishot Marauder is going for $500.

For a lightweight carbine, I'd go with the Crosman 2240 with a 14" barrel and shoulder stock, There are tons of aftermarket parts for Crosman's like improved sears, power
adjusters and long steel breaches which really improve their pencil barrel stability.

Spot on about the antigunners/anti hunters trying desperately to choke off ammo supplies but most Democrats secretly know that if they try to pass another 'assault weapons' ban that they'll lose the middle of the nation again which would basically give control of the Congress back to the Republicans. The Far Left of the Democrats are as completely out of touch with reality as the Far Right of the Republicans. Both are a bunch of fascist bastards who want to reserve power for themselves.

Thats odd I posted a reply to you yesterday and its disappeared???, Anyhoo of the AA range I would love the S410 TDR its got to be almost the ideal survivalist rifle ( for the UK ) failing that the FX Verminator if I was rich that is. Oddly enough after all my waffle about chopping the barrel of the XS 78 I want a longer barrel for the Lightening, I hate silencers like that, but I'm stuck with it cos without the barrel is to short to cock easily. So I want a barrel for the lightening about 4 inches longer and I can srap the silencer, I would not mind trying to get hold of the synthetic stock of the other model lightening as well.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I could be wrong but the barrel/breach assembly on the SuperSport should swap right on to the Lightning. I favor the fixed barrel underlevers over the break barrel spring powered airguns. I own a .25 Superstar and a .177 Stutzen taploader from the 70's. My Air Arms springers are a .177 ProSport and Khasmin sidelever. I'd love to get another AA Mistral or Bora sidelever.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join