It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spanish Court Considers Trying Former U.S. Officials

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Spanish Court Considers Trying Former U.S. Officials

apnews.myway.com

MADRID, (AP) - A Spanish court has agreed to consider opening a criminal case against six former Bush administration officials, including former Attorney General Alberto Gonzales, over allegations they gave legal cover for torture at Guantanamo Bay, a lawyer in the case said Saturday.

Human rights lawyers brought the case before leading anti-terror judge Baltasar Garzon, who agreed to send it on to prosecutors to decide whether it had merit.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.nytimes.com
thinkprogress.org
www.forbes.com
beltwayblips.dailyradar.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Bush to Veto CIA Waterboarding Ban Bill
Waterboarding should be prosecuted as Torture: U.N.
G.I.Jane vs Rendition...Hollywood vs Reality...Training vs Torture...WATERBOARDING
Dick Cheney and Alberto Gonzales indicted.

[edit on 29-3-2009 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Well, the Spanish Court attempting to try this particular case is definately going to have difficulty with this, since the Bush Administration was so notorius for stonewalling in all regards on this topic to begin with. The underlings are being tried instead of the head of the whole fiasco, which means they are looking for a scapegoat, not an actual criminal trial. Spain knows that if they were to attempt to try Bush and or Cheney, it would be seen as an act of war, and America would retaliate.

apnews.myway.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 29-3-2009 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 02:36 AM
link   
I won't retaliate

Hell, I would place the cuffs!

Sadly the ocean of cooters would go crazy if their dear JR and Vader go the big one!

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 03:36 AM
link   
I think it's all a waste of time on the part of the Spanish people to try a stunt like that. There's no way these 6 people from the US will stand a trial on these matters, anywhere in the world, even in the US.

[edit on 29-3-2009 by teklordz]

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Two words:

Never...happen...

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by mental modulator

I know you may not strike back. I was referring to the Government. Bush and Cheney would make a huge stink about it, and drag their bony butts back into the spotlight.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Under what law does Spain have a right to even attempt this? I'm genuinely confused. I'm not saying they shouldn't be brought up on these charges, i'm just wondering why spain assumes they have the authority to do so.

TheAssociate

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 02:05 AM
link   
"Under what law does Spain have a right to even attempt this?".

Under ridiculous Spanish law, unfortunately. The same law that was used by a Spanish judge to cause Augusto Pinochet to be detained for ages in Britain for possible deportation to Spain to potentially stand trial for alleged crimes committed decades earlier in Chile.

EU nations are bound by treaty to respect these stupid Spanish judicial rulings.

By logic and American law, the Spanish have no right to do this, but by Spanish and EU law they can do it to to anyone at any time for any reason. Kind of kills the desire to travel to Europe by any present or former government employees who may or may not have done something unpopular with any Spanish judges, doesn't it?

Get used to it. This sort of thing is only going to become more common as Obama the Globalist sells our national sovereignty down the river.

PS - The only Spanish product I am aware of consuming was wine, but I long ago switched to superior French and Italian (as well as some Californian, Australian, South African, and Chilean) brands, but I will make it a point going forward to check the origin of and not to purchase anything from Spain.

[edit on 1/4/2009 by RR98]

new topics

top topics

join