It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Guide to BBCode on ATS

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Yeah I already corrected myself. The code box is designed to offset actual code from other text, and I thought it was designed to prevent the code from working and thus provide the ability to see the actual code rather than display the effects. Apparently, this is not the case.

Carry on. I'm of no help.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

The code box is used to show lines of code without actually using/activating the code. I'm familiar with it from using Linux. With Linux, you add programs by typing in lines of code and one will often have to search the net to look for a line of code to do something--whether adding a program to configuring the desktop. Putting a string of code in the code box allows someone to copy and paste and things of the sort without messing up the code and enabling the person to enter it into their command line. So, for example, if I wanted to install firefox on my Linux system but I didn't know how, and I searched the net, I would find a site and it would have the line in the box like this:

~!>sudo apt-get install firefox

I could then just copy the code. Of course, it's more convientient when you have to copy and paste really long strings of code. In short, it really has nothing to do with ATS. Hope that makes sense!

Thanks by the way for the list! I will be referenceing this as well.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

No worries.

It may be that SO disabled its functionality in some manner... Nearly everything else around here is customized, so I assume that may be the case.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I just want to add my thanks Loam, since no stars are available.

You rock.

(no reason for that emoticon, I just wanted to use it
)

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander
I just want to add my thanks Loam, since no stars are available.

You rock.

(no reason for that emoticon, I just wanted to use it
)

Thank you.

Incidentally:

[color=F9966B]Spam Shake

[color=ECD672]1 Can of Spam.
1 tin of Anchovies
2 12oz cans of beer
4 oz tomato juice
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 cup chopped up parsley
1/4 cup chopped scallions
dash of Tabasco

[color=FF8040]Salt (if you need it), pepper to taste.

Put it in blender and blend until smooth.

Serve chilled with Celery stick.

(Formatting to keep this post on point.)

[edit on 29-3-2009 by loam]

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Wow. Great job!

Thanks.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by dooper

Thank you.

Incidentally, there appears to be one more item I've come across.

The following:

Produces a line in your post like this:

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   
The code box preserves tabs. I'm not sure what else though.

But it also
can make a massive mess of
the page if not used properly and
lots of times when you see a page stretched out,
it’s because someone used this bbcode.

vs

But it also
can make a massive mess of
the page if not used properly and
lots of times when you see a page stretched out,
it’s because someone used this bbcode.

Nice thread loam.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Excellent Captain, just excellent its like BBc for dummies.

Now I am still not all certain how to embed an image on differnt sides of the page, forinstance I would like to place an image on the left margin with words written to the right side. Or perhaps on the right with words on the left.

Thanks in advance.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
WOW loam

absolutly fabulous!

i just love it especially the part with the colors - thanks so much for that

should be part of the ATS handbook

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Something like this?

Text above...
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

Now the flow returns to normal.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

And when the image ends, the flow returns to normal again.

PS: If you quote this post you can see how it's done.
PPS: Thanks to 12m8keall2c for this explanation.

[edit on 3/4/2009 by ArMaP]

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Thank you very very much for information and effort!!!!

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

ArMaP has it right.

Did that help? If not U2U me.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by loam
Good stuff, much more than the very basic FAQs

I had a question about my links in this thread
I wanted the images embeded in the post but I got the external chain link thing. I used the full entire address with [IMG] tags like this

But I end up with the external link, Is it a size issue?

I thought I had made them all 640X480 but I will do some checking.
Edit: addition
The link below is the same one sized 639X479 so it's not size.
Is it because of Photobucket?
I am at a loss, thanks

[edit on 4/16/2009 by AlienChaser]

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by AlienChaser

The way it works was changed some time ago, the only images that show inside the posts are the ones hosted on the ATS Media Portal, all other images appear as external links to the image.

So, while the BBCode is correct, it has two ways of working, according to the hosting site.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 07:46 AM
link   
[color=00FFFF] Practicing .. practicing ... HEY .. can we use this all the time on all our posts? You know ... color effects emotions and using certain colors while posting could effect the reader of your text. How subliminal! How ... conspiracy!

Loam .. you should use green all the time. It's your trademark.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Unless they suffer from Daltonism, in which case they may see something like this.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/cf6a14342b6875cf.jpg[/atsimg]

Edit to make it on-topic.

Maybe we can get a list of what colours the daltonic can see as we do and make ATS a more accessible forum.

[edit on 17/4/2009 by ArMaP]

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
This is really great stuff that belongs in the ATS reference section.
Thanks for taking the time to compile this in a user friendly format.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   
[edit on 17-5-2009 by lazy1981]

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Simply stunning thread Loam

Just trying this on out!

I asked on the issues thread for a advanced bb code and

WOW what a job, this should be archived in the handbook for sure, you deserve 100 applauses for this, nice job

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join