It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fights break out as auto dealership closes (Video)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Fights break out as auto dealership closes (Video)

www.freep.com

Police say they responded to reports of two fights at a southwest Michigan auto dealership on the day employees were told the business was closing amid the slumping economy.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Folding dealers shock car buyers with unpaid liens
Unsold foreign cars piling up at U.S. ports

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Link to video

Does it really matter how hard that you work, because there's always somebody a little bit above you, that has the right to control every decision, every ounce of energy that you put forth effort to...
Don't you have the right be a little bit mad, when somebody says 'hey, we're all done?'

Employees deserve more rights, and more incentive to participate in the company, rather than following orders from management. I think the solution is to offer stock purchasing opportunities in private/public companies, with voting rights; If held largely by the workers, this would ensure fair treatment and fair wages for all employees.

In short, employees must take a more active role in their companies, if they expect to be treated as more than capital labor. This means reinvesting your paycheck in the company, participating in how the company is run, and assuming the same risks/rewards that the investors enjoy.

Mankind deserves to be free and independent, at work, and in life.

Additional info from Reuters

Auto Dealerships Closing at Record Pace

Reuters reports, "A record 881 U.S. auto dealerships closed in 2008, with Detroit's three struggling automakers representing 80 percent of the decline. In the face of tight credit and a plunge in sales of cars and trucks, about 4.2 percent of the country's 20,084 auto dealerships shut their doors, according to data firm Urban Science." More than half of the closures occurred in the last three months of the year.

www.freep.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Kaytagg

This video is heartwrenching to watch, these individuals represent 1000's across the globe who are faced with the problems being jobless present to them and their families. I am facing the possibility of losing my job next month if business does not pick up, so far though instead of getting better,we are getting cancellations,always the same reason, 'I lost my job'.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 11:38 PM
link   
To be honest I don't know how these employees actually work, are they salesmen and women who have suddenly found themselves just standing around because nobody is buying their still-overpriced cars?

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 11:43 PM
link   
I know that car salespersons are not the most beloved salepersons, however if that is how you earn your money, then more power to you. The employees are not at fault here, they will suffer, and I do not wish that on anyone, not even a used car salesperson, or his mechanic, or the secretary, or their families.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Kaytagg

Have you ever worked at a car dealership before?

It is a strictly commission based job for the most part. Car salesman/women have the opportunity to make a few thousand dollars off of selling one car.

In most cases the car dealerships do percentages. It isn't an easy job and there is a lot more that goes on behind the scenes and they don't rank that much higher than lawyers when it comes to what people think of them.

It sucks that millions of people are losing their jobs, but that is business. If the company isn't making any money and operating at a loss they can't afford to pay the bills.

That is just the way it is, its life. Employee voting rights aren't going to change that. Car salesman know what they are getting into when they sign up.

Voting rights, stock options, etc. isn't going to ever change the fact that if a company isn't making money to pay its bills they aren't going to be able to stay open.

[edit on 28-3-2009 by Hastobemoretolife]

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Shutting down of businesses is heart wrenching and to see men or women's livelihood taken away in just a moment is very sad. Folks never in our lives did we dream that we would be watching the dismantling of our nation by unscrupulous politicians that only care about themselves WIFM. We have been raped as a nation by our politicians in Washington and they have taken $Trillions$ of dollars of We The People's Money and went on an insane spending spree the world has never seen.

Never to give anyone time to read the stimulus package thoroughly including We The People with 8500 earmarks. We have been swindled by the taking of Trillions of dollars by our own government and make no mistake this was not by accident this was by plan. The excuse, but this is to stimulate the economy. Whose economy not ours and we are hearing give the stimulus money time to hit the economy. Who makes this country tick it is We The People and the millions of small businesses. Why didn't the politicians in Washington take care of the small businesses first this is where 70% of the jobs come from across America?

The banks have to be taken care of first because the banks are more important then We The People and especially when each Congressman has at least 40 lobbyist courting them. Temptation? How many of these Congressman are tempted when it comes to money?

How many Congressmen behind the private closed door session in March of 2008 were told of the impending collapse of the realestate market, many banks, Freddie Mac, Fanny Mae, AIG and were told of the possible total collapse of the U.S. economy?

Here is the real question how many in Congress with inside information unloaded realestate holdings, bank stocks, over the counter stocks and a slew of other holdings? Has anyone ever investigated to see if Congress made out financially from the information that We The People were not previlaged too until it was too late?

Folks we are at a cross roads of losing our country and millions more will lose their jobs this year and millions more next year. When people lose everything, they can go absolutely crazy and expect many more fights to break out at the job place and lets hope Americans will keep a cool head and help those in need as I know We The People will.

[edit on 29-3-2009 by amari]

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 08:32 AM
link   
How many auto dealerships in the United States have been closed due to lack of business and not enough people qualifying for loans for vehicles? Will there be a major shift of population in this country to where the jobs are regardless if families have to pack up and move or split up to survive?

I know of many families that have to endure because the father or mother have to work in another state or long distance from home. The bread winners are sending money home to help their families survive, pay bills and are only able to see their families either once a week or once a month.

[edit on 29-3-2009 by amari]

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Don't get me wrong with this question, as its an emotive issue for many of us, especially those financially sailing close to the wind, but does any individual have a right to employment?

One of the issues that those protesting at the G20 summit are wanting to voice is just that....that there aren't any jobs, or to protest at having lost one.

Skills and labour are a commodity that are traded on the marketplace, just as with any consumer product...if there is a surplus, prices (wages) fall, and vice versa. Employment legal rights only enter the equation once a contract for employment has been agreed.

[edit on 29-3-2009 by citizen smith]

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 09:29 AM
link   
The idiot in the 'pink' hat (nice touch btw) should be arrested and put in jail for what appears to be assault. No matter what happens you don't resort to those types of tactics. Anyone with a clue would have known that this and lot more days like this are coming. Some people won't look at any contingency planning until the bottom falls out. Did he take the time during the good days to perhaps plan ahead, especially since he has a family. I know many people in the same boat, in fact I left that mess behind over 15 years ago, because the writing was on the wall. Life doesn't owe you anything. its up to you to be responsible for yourself and prepare.

brill

[edit on 29-3-2009 by brill]

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Very sad.....

watching the vid... really brings things home... instead of just hearing about it.

top topics

join