It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Um.. Do you need help?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Wow, first of all let me say hello to the readers here at BTS. This is my very first Thread on the BTS network and what better place to say hello than the rant section..lol.. Anyway, lets get to the point. When was the last time you stopped to ask someone for help? Hopefully, it is often or when you can. Its basic kindness for our fellow man correct? But man what has happened to this kindness. The other day I was walking to the doctors office and this lady infront of me opened the door (which is quite heavy) and I thought she was going to hold the door for me after she walked in, but not at all. Before I know it the door slams against my arm when I saw it coming. She turned around, never said sorry or anything just kept going. It was actually a little painful. But it was alright, I was like whatever. Well anyway, a little while later I am still waiting and I see this women trying to open the door outside (she has a stroller and can't seem to put it at an angle so she can reach the door), so I opened the door for her and she never said thank you or anything just looked at me like I was doing something stupid. But I was not going to let someone struggle, I was just helping. After all its common respect correct?

Then after reading some things on the internet. I realized that help has been thrown out of our vocabulary and replaced with fear and selfishness. For instance:

Woman dies in HOSPTIAL waiting room

Wait did I read that correctly? She died in a hospital waiting room. I thought that is where you went and they were supposed to HELP YOU!

49-year-old woman collapsed and died on the floor of a waiting room at a Brooklyn psychiatric hospital and lay there for more than an hour as employees ignored her, according to the New York Civil Liberties Union, which on Tuesday released surveillance camera video of the incident.....

The surveillance camera video shows the woman rolling off a waiting room chair, landing face-down on the floor and convulsing. Her collapse came at 5:32 a.m. June 19, the NYCLU said, and she stopped moving at 6:07 a.m. During that time, the organization said, workers at the hospital ignored her.

At 6:35 a.m., the tape shows a hospital employee approaching and nudging Green with her foot, the group said. Help was summoned three minutes later.

Wow. Just wow..

Man hit by car on busy pedestrian street and NO one HELPS

What!

A disturbing surveillance video showing an elderly man getting hit by a car and then being ignored by bystanders has shocked — and shamed — many in Hartford, Conn......

Angel Arce Torres, 78, was trying to cross the street when a Honda plowed into him, sending him flying and leaving him lying crumpled and bleeding in the middle of the street. The driver of the car did not stop; but, even more disturbingly, passing cars and people on the sidewalk nearby did nothing to help Torres.

I'm not sure, but I would have gone out and helped this man. He's not some animal, he's a human being! This was sickening...

There are plenty more videos and stories, but I think al of you get the point. Infact I read a case here the other day in which a man fell and twisted his anckle the police, ambulance and some passers by offered no help to him.

What is wrong with people? I know there are others like me who help people. I know most of us here enjoy to help people. But really, whatever happened to us? Maybe you all should watch the movie pay it forward a couple of times. We really need to learn to help each other, even in the most simpliest of tasks. I also know that even if you wanted to help the person you are trying to help may pepper spray the crap out of you, which I know all to well about or do something stupid because they believe and have this amazing fear of people. But still help. Am I wrong? Anyway, tomorrow, open the door for someone or do something for someone. Help out and I apprecaite the time you took to read this.

Thank you,
~TheMythLives

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I hear you man! I see it and experience it everyday and I experienced almost exactly the same thing you did; but you can't analyze it and become cynical.

"To thyne own self be true" I take comfort in my awareness of my place in the universe and what it means to be human.

We have no control of what others do or think.

You are not alone.

[edit on 29-3-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Glad to hear that mate, its good that I am not alone.
Thanks.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
.......i can't say much.......wow, that's just....horrible

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by TheMythLives

People are afraid they will be sued if they do help and something goes wrong. That happens all the time, and people don't want to lose their house for a stranger. I know it sounds cold, but that is the truth nowadays. It is best to call 911 from a house or your cell phone if you need help. That explains why strangers may not be willing to help. Some areas do have good Samaritan laws, but lawyers find ways around them.

The medical personnel who did not respond to a person have some explaining to do. I know they are overwhelmed at times, and have many people in the urgent care area to look after. I do not know all the facts about the case to really make a comment about what happened. I can only hope and pray for closure for the family members involved.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Personally, I have been to an urgent care facility and had to wait a few hours to be seen. I had to go and put my name on a list, and they would call me when a medical provider was available. If one had heart or breathing problems, they were seen immediately (as happened once to me). If the person did not go up to get there name put down, they may not have gotten the attention needed. There are only so many medical workers on the night shift, and there is a huge need for medical workers for such shifts. That is one reason I will not immediately fault the medical institution.

top topics

join