It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Passing Laws to Search Citizens Computer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Oddly enough I can't find anything in the printed press about this. I googled it when I saw the video and all the results link to this video. It sounds genuine.

The law is a treaty that we are working on with other nations to protect copyright laws. The way it is now, the law is civil, not criminal. But that is about to change. It will also give government the ability to freely search anyone pc with or without their consent.

Again, I find it strange that no one has picked up on this story. If anyone can find a link to any mainstream media organization running anything about this story feel free to add it.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 07:33 PM
link   
It is to protect copyright laws?
So what is searching our computers going to do?
What are they going to be looking for?
Are we not supposed to save copyrighted articles or what?
It bugs me that news articles are copyrighted.
How many different ways are there to write up a description of an event so as to be different enough to qualify to be copyrighted?
Photos of important news events are copyrighted.
You can't even use them years later. This part borders on censorship.

The photographer owns the copyright to that studio portrait you had him do. Would you believe that? He does, unles his contract says otherwise.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I think the government's ability to search of computers is speculation at this point. You never know, though, as the draft treaty is cloaked in secrecy.

Now President Obama's White House has tightened the cloak of government secrecy still further, saying in a letter this week that a discussion draft of the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement and related materials are "classified in the interest of national security pursuant to Executive Order 12958."

The 1995 Executive Order 12958 allows material to be classified only if disclosure would do "damage to the national security and the original classification authority is able to identify or describe the damage."

news.cnet.com...

Effectively, Obama is claiming that illegal music downloads and their like are a threat to national security.

[edit on 28-3-2009 by Zarniwoop]

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I like the point made by the guy who said "of course its bad, if it was good you would have heard about it". I wonder if a worm could be made that would be a legal one. Non destructive. Just one that searched harddrives for certain items and returns the info it finds. I dont like this at all.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   
We really need to get rid of these powermoney hungry elite bastards who are taking our rights away. It seems like every other day I hear Obama passing this and passing that.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I think the worm thing is certainly do-able, but problematic in that the gov would need to have arrangements with the various AntiVirus s/w companies as well as Micro$oft to not block the worm. Even then, some upstanding computer geek would release info on how to remove/block it.

It's more likely that they work with Micro$oft to make snooping for unauthorized downloads a part of Windows 2012, Big Brother edition.

Don't get me wrong. I am against illegal downloads of copyrighted material. However, I am even more against the seemingly increasing theft of privacy rights by the government.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 11:53 PM
link   
The whole thing confuses me. I mean, I have songs downloaded from bearshare and limewire. I dont share any folders. I just download them and put em in iTunes. Now, I also have playlists that I make for myspace profile that arent from myspace's site. So am I breaking the law? Will this become prosecutable?

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Presidents do not create legislation, they only approve or veto. So how is Obama creating this? What is the bill #? This was reported on Russia Today, what is the sourcing of their information and overall reliability?

delius

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by delius
Presidents do not create legislation, they only approve or veto. So how is Obama creating this? What is the bill #? This was reported on Russia Today, what is the sourcing of their information and overall reliability?

delius

well watch the video. its an international treaty.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zarniwoop
I think the worm thing is certainly do-able, but problematic in that the gov would need to have arrangements with the various AntiVirus s/w companies as well as Micro$oft to not block the worm. Even then, some upstanding computer geek would release info on how to remove/block it.

It's more likely that they work with Micro$oft to make snooping for unauthorized downloads a part of Windows 2012, Big Brother edition.

Don't get me wrong. I am against illegal downloads of copyrighted material. However, I am even more against the seemingly increasing theft of privacy rights by the government.

heck, if there is a Windows after 2012 we'll be lucky, if the mayans were right. Well, I again googled the **** out of this and cant find anything, searched cnn, msnbc and even fox. nadda.

If not for searching aspect at least for changing the law to criminal from civil. at least give people a heads up.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Well ain't that a coincidence! The UK government already rolled this out in January. Clearly these decisions are made at a higher level than any particular sitting government. Obama/Brown just get the job of rubber stamping and selling it as "necessary".

New powers for police to hack your PC The Independent, Jan 05, 09

Over the last few months, the MSM have reported with increasing frequency the UK State's intent to ramp up its programs of spying upon the electorate.

May 20, '08, Mail Online: Massive Big Brother database will track every phone call and email sent in Britain

May 20, '08, Times Online: ‘Big Brother’ database for phones and e-mails

Jun 23, '08, The Telegraph: New intelligent CCTV cameras can see and hear

Dec 31, '08, The Telegraph: Private firm to run communications super database

Jan, 04, '09, The Telegraph: Gover nment plans to extend powers to spy on personal computers

Mar 20, '09, ComputerWeekly.com: 'Secret' ID Cards Gateway reviews FOI release - key findings

Mar 20, '09, ComputerWeekly.com: Coming to an ID Card Near You: Your DNA

Mar 22, '09, Times Online: 10 government databases ‘will break the law’

This week's instalments:

Mar 25, '09, Times Online: Facebook, Bebo and MySpace 'to be monitored by security services'

Mar 26, '09, ITProPortal.com: UK Government Plans To Monitor Social Networking Websites

Mar 27, '09, Sunday Express: TERROR LAWS USED 10,000 TIMES TO SPY ON PETTY OFFENCES

Mar 29, '09, The Guardian: New Labour's dream is a surveillance state nightmare

Even the former head of MI5 complains, "It would be better that the government recognised that there are risks, rather than frightening people in order to be able to pass laws which restrict civil liberties, precisely one of the objects of terrorism - that we live in fear and under a police state," Ministers 'using fear of terror' BBC, Feb 17, '09

[edit on 29-3-2009 by EvilAxis]

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 10:43 PM
link   
This is supposed to be aimed at "file sharers." The MPAA and RIAA are doing everything in their power to try and stop people from downloading copyrighted material including but not limited to enlisting the major ISP's help. I wouldn't doubt that they've also greased some palms to get something like this into law. I fail to see the difference between the MPAA/RIAA and the Mafia.

TheAssociate

top topics

join