It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Interesting Statue

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Thought I'd share some photos of a small sculpture I found a few days back.

At first glance it looked to be made of cast iron.
This due to what looked like iron oxides coming through the surface/finish/paint . . . whatever it is.

Cola can to give it some scale.

A closer view of the people sculpted.

They all look the same and that leads me to believe the figures were turned out in a mold.

A back view of one of the people.

You should be able to see where the divisions between fingers etc. were cut with a somewhat dull sculpting tool of wood or metal.

A view of the base.

The sculpture as a whole seems to weigh about the same as plaster of paris or adobe clay.
I haven't dug into the base to see what's up.

I did talk to a person who researches antiquity sites and her thoughts were much like mine in that what I've got here is a souvenir piece from either Mexico or Central America.

To me it has a Mayan feel to it and I wonder what some of you think as far as what culture it may be from.

Wondering too if it is a commonly done theme.

I originally thought the figures were warriors, but my advisor - for lack of a better word - thinks they may be children.

A reasonable assumption I think.

Thoughts?

Opinions?

Perhaps even some facts....

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Desert Dawg
Perhaps even some facts....

Perhaps yes... On your part. Like how/where did you find it would probably go a long way in at least making an attempt to identify it. For example I could assume you found it on sale at Pottery Barn as your text doesnt specify anything else.

Well, at least it doesnt really strike me as Mayan. It seems too simple and plain for that, all the Mayan works I've seen are much, much more elaborate. But of course its a possibility.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Yes, they look like children.
The first thing that came to my mind when I saw it was The Children's Circle referred to in abduction writings.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   
This looks very similar

candles.lovetoknow.com...

Many of the candle holders representing the circle of friends are made with figures representing the Mayan people of long-ago. They are often handmade in Mexico using a very primitive method of working with clay. Considered to be a pre-Columbian art form, the figures are often made to have the style and look of ancient Mayan or Aztec Indians.

The number of figures in a circle of friends range from three to seven. The figures can be standing or sitting and are often depicted as male or female.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   
My mom has one of those somewhere, she got it at a tourist shop in Mexico.
I accidently smashed one of the figures, and it's definitely baked clay.

If I figure out what she did with it, I'll grab a picture, but we've movedsince I last saw it.

[edit on 28-3-2009 by RuneSpider]

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Just google: circle of friends candle holder --- many variations of this can be yours for only $35! This is a really common knick knack - available in thousands and thousands of gift shops. This should NOT be posted in "Ancient & Lost Civilizations" --- come on!!

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tadarida
Just google: circle of friends candle holder --- many variations of this can be yours for only $35! This is a really common knick knack - available in thousands and thousands of gift shops. This should NOT be posted in "Ancient & Lost Civilizations" --- come on!!

You do realize you killed my sunday afternoon laughing hour. Either way, good to see that there afew people out there who are in touch with reality.

images.google.com...

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Thanks for googling! And thanks for "getting it"

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tadarida

If not here, where?

Seemed like a good place since my main interest was in finding out what culture it was copied from.

Note that I agreed with my friend that it is a souvenir.

Thanks to all who responded with information.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 07:42 AM
link   
well, it's a lovely little knick-knack conveying a wonderful idea - friendship!

i'm glad you posted it

new topics

top topics

join