It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China marks 50 years of direct control over Tibet

page: 1/

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   

China marks 50 years of direct control over Tibet

news.yahoo.com

BEIJING – China marked 50 years of direct control over Tibet on Saturday, raising the national flag in the regional capital and commemorating a new political holiday honoring what it calls the liberation of slaves from brutal feudal rule.

Testimonials about the misery of life in old Tibet kicked off the short ceremony — televised live from in front of the Potala Palace in Lhasa — to mark the end of the Dalai Lama's rule in Tibet.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.tibet.com
www.tibet.net
en.wikipedia.org

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   
In what now appears to be at least a relative public escalation of rhetorical hostilities, the the Tibetan government-in-exile, based in Dharamshala, said on its website, among other things, that the new Chinese holiday would be a day of mourning for Tibetans around the world.

China's Serf Emancipation Day Hides Repression in Tibet

China’s decision to observe tomorrow as the so-called Serf Emancipation Day is aggravating problems in Tibet. Tibetans consider this observance offensive and provocative. We believe the observance of the "Serf Emancipation Day" on 28 March is aimed at destabilising and creating chaos in Tibet by a few individuals with overriding self-interest. If the Tibetans, losing their patience, took to the streets in protest, the Chinese leaders will have the excuse to use even more brutal force to crackdown.

Already the whole of Tibet is under heavy security clampdown, with additional troops deployed. Despite these measures, Tibetans, considering conditions in Tibet unbearable, collectively and individually, are taking to the streets, distributing pamphlets calling for freedom, bringing down the Chinese flag and replacing it with the Tibetan flag. This year, Tibetans did not celebrate the Tibetan New Year to mourn those killed in last year’s crackdown on the widespread protests that erupted throughout Tibet. In a development unprecedented in the history of Tibet, Tibetans in Kanze in eastern Tibet have decided not to farm their fields in a unique form of civil disobedience to protest China’s heavy-handed rule. One monk, Tashi Sangpo of Ragya monastery in Golok in north-eastern Tibet was arrested on 10 March 2009, for allegedly hoisting a Tibetan flag. He escaped his captors and drowned himself in the nearby Yellow River. These acts and many more are the true Tibetan attitude to “emancipation” by China.

This day will be observed by Tibetans throughout the world and especially those in Tibet as a day of mourning. No less a figure than Hu Yaobang, the general secretary of the Chinese Communist Party, who visited Lhasa in 1980, apologized to the Tibetan people and said the conditions in Tibet were worse than pre-1959 Tibet.

Souce : CTA

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I'm skeptical about these exile types sincerity about their cause, especially learning about their historical on-set. Their existence are usually made up of questionable elite supported by some country's intention, with the aim to subjugate their target nation. Just look at the Batista of Cuba, Shah of Iran, of course, who can forget about the Iraqi exiles.

The Tibetan Exiles are no different, they are being nurtured for future Balkanisation of China, a wet dream, but a possibility - who knows. If any thing, they pissed off the Chinese. That's fun.

BTW, one has to be careful when reading or watch news these days. When they say Tibetan are angry, tortured or cultural genocide.. they really means Exile Tibetans, who most can't even speak Tibetan, or even visited Tibet. In truth, these are mostly elites noble groups who owns lands, slave and serf who fled Tibet. Not unlike the Shah and Batista, they aren't angelical types.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to mobydog

BTW, one has to be careful when reading or watch news these days.

Thanks for the tip. I'll keep it in mind ...

When they say Tibetan are angry, tortured or cultural genocide.. they really means Exile Tibetans, who most can't even speak Tibetan, or even visited Tibet. In truth, these are mostly elites noble groups who owns lands, slave and serf who fled Tibet.

Basically the issue for Tibetans is a dual one of the loss of their national sovereignty and the eradication of their culture.

As an example, what has happened to the Tibetans is what would happen if your neighbor arrived on your doorstep with an overwhelming force of arms and just walked into your home and said to you, "This is our house now. You will now follow the rules we dictate to you."

It's quite simple actually. For instance the same thing might happen to Brittain, or even America, and then how would we feel about it ?

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by visible_villain
reply to mobydog

Basically the issue for Tibetans is a dual one of the loss of their national sovereignty and the eradication of their culture.

As an example, what has happened to the Tibetans is what would happen if your neighbor arrived on your doorstep with an overwhelming force of arms and just walked into your home and said to you, "This is our house now. You will now follow the rules we dictate to you."

It's quite simple actually. For instance the same thing might happen to Brittain, or even America, and then how would we feel about it ?

The historical situation of Tibet is more complex than the media or what you are portraying. The premises arrived is when you are in the side that Tibet was an independent nation to start with.

For example, apart from Britain (They invaded Tibet twice and occupied Tibet for 2 decades, and even tried to separate Chinese influence by introducing the McMahon line, failed to make the Chinese sign the "Simla convention". If Tibet was independent then British would have simply absorb Tibet, and not waste time playing up tricks ), every other colonial western countries before 1949 recognized Tibet as being part of China. In fact, during WWII the hq of the Chinese Nationalist was in Tibet, so was the supply trail from Burma "The Hump". The Chinese Civil war ended with the CCP kicking out the KMT, and so CCP entering Tibet was part of the revolution. Which means that it was ideology struggle between Democracy and Communism, that brought C!A to train Tibetan land and slave owners to rebel.. propaganda persist since then. BTW, many Tibetan were part of the red guards when they marched up Tibet in 1951.

On the eradication of culture, that's just so lame. Modernization does that. It is visible in every culture in Latin America, Africa, Middle East to South East Asia... just look at Japan and South Korea. Most Tibetans in Tibet wears western style clothes. So is the West eradicating Tibetan Culture ?

BTW, Religious practices are still strong in Tibet, you could simply watch national geographic or travelogue to see it's true . In fact, there are four Sect of Buddhism, and Dalai lama yellow sect is just one of them.

On the side note, BBC is not a good choice of source on Chinese matters. They seemed to only report negative news and even caught deliberately mistranslating and adds unrelated comments on a few documentaries . Just watch their documentary on The opium wars, they failed to truly even mention opium trading as a main reason for the war ! As I always points out Tibet is to Britain, as Cuba is to USA - The one that got away.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to mobydog's comment

If Tibet was independent then British would have simply absorb Tibet, and not waste time playing up tricks

Pointless conjecture.

In fact, during WWII the hq of the Chinese Nationalist was in Tibet, so was the supply trail from Burma "The Hump".

Complete nonsense.

Tibet - 1912-1949: de facto independence

The Dalai Lama returned to Tibet from India in July 1912 (after the fall of the Qing dynasty), and expelled the Amban and all Chinese troops. In 1913, the Dalai Lama issued a proclamation that stated that the relationship between the Chinese emperor and Tibet "had been that of patron and priest and had not been based on the subordination of one to the other." "We are a small, religious, and independent nation," the proclamation continued. For the next thirty-six years, Tibet enjoyed de facto independence while China endured its Warlord era, civil war, and World War II.

Souce : Wikipedia

And before you attack my use of Wikipedia as an authoritative reference, please hit the link youself and check out the fundamental references it is based on.

BTW, many Tibetan were part of the red guards when they marched up Tibet in 1951.

Unfounded claim. Please provide a refence for this absurd notion.

On the eradication of culture, that's just so lame.

This rebuttal, on its face, is so ridiculous, I suspect you may have borrowed it from some silly goose or other, and does not even merit serious consideration.

So is the West eradicating Tibetan Culture ?

This thread concerns the 50th anniversary of the Chinese Invasion of Tibet. Last time I checked, China was not considered a western country. Perhaps your mind has wandered, but since your areguments have not yet departed the Earth's surface, I suppose things could be worse.

I congratulate you for remaining Earthbound !

On the side note ...

Perhaps I should just stop here ...

Clearly the commenter feels it's ok to march his army into his neighbor's home and destroy the heirlooms of more than a thousand years, indiscriminantly rape, pillage and murder its residents, and unilateraly force said neighbor to behave according to his foreign dictates, meanwhile brutally crushing all dissent.

You may call this progress, but I seriously doubt many others would.

Thank's for your interest, and your comments.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by visible_villain

In fact, during WWII the hq of the Chinese Nationalist was in Tibet, so was the supply trail from Burma "The Hump".

Complete nonsense.
Complete nonsense is when you are weak in WWII history. Go goggle up US propaganda film named "Why We Fight".

Tibet - 1912-1949: de facto independence

Souce : Wikipedia

And before you attack my use of Wikipedia as an authoritative reference, please hit the link youself and check out the fundamental references it is based on.
I would just like to point out the following points..

a) When was the present 14th Dalia Lama appointed and By Who ?

In which British journalist Alan Winnington writes in his book "Tibet" that , "When [the 13th Dalai Lama] died in 1933, Tibet was more and more becoming a British sphere." In the summer of 1942, the Tibetan local government, with the support of the British representative, announced the establishment of a "foreign affairs bureau," and openly carried out "Tibetan independence" activities.

So how independent was Tibet ?

BTW, many Tibetan were part of the red guards when they marched up Tibet in 1951.

Unfounded claim. Please provide a refence for this absurd notion.

According to Anna Louise Strong’s book "Tibetan Interviews."

In battle of Chamdo, the PLA was confronted by the Tibetan Army, sent there by the Dalai Lama. Its commander-in-chief was Ngapo Ngawang Jigme, a top Tibetan noble. It was not much of a battle. Many of the Tibetan Army soldiers—serfs forced into service by the nobility—went over to the side of the PLA. The battle was quickly over

His account of the battle and his conversion can be found in Anna Louise Strong’s book "Tibetan Interviews." Ngapo Ngawang Jigme expected death as the normal outcome of defeat. But within a year, Ngapo Ngawang Jigme was the deputy commander-in-chief for the PLA forces in Tibet. He became a leader not only of Tibet but also the Chinese Communist Party.

I hope you don't discount him as a Tibetan for losing the first battle.

On the eradication of culture, that's just so lame.

This rebuttal, on its face, is so ridiculous, I suspect you may have borrowed it from some silly goose or other, and does not even merit serious consideration.
Why not ? It's a prelude to my next reply.

So is the West eradicating Tibetan Culture ?

This thread concerns the 50th anniversary of the Chinese Invasion of Tibet. Last time I checked, China was not considered a western country. Perhaps your mind has wandered, but since your areguments have not yet departed the Earth's surface, I suppose things could be worse.
You opened that door. But your bias mindset could not separate or goose-step away from the fact that Cultural Eradication is Cultural Eradication, no matter which culture is dominating the effect. Unless, you are telling me that this thread is a "China Bashing" fun-stick.. than proclaim so. Else, enough of double standardization.

I congratulate you for remaining Earthbound !
This rebuttal, on its face, is so ridiculous, I suspect you may have borrowed it from some silly goose or other, and does not even merit serious consideration

On the side note ...

Perhaps I should just stop here ...

Clearly the commenter feels it's ok to march his army into his neighbor's home and destroy the heirlooms of more than a thousand years, indiscriminantly rape, pillage and murder its residents, and unilateraly force said neighbor to behave according to his foreign dictates, meanwhile brutally crushing all dissent.

You may call this progress, but I seriously doubt many others would.

Thank's for your interest, and your comments.
I guess should stop here, when things doesn't go well with your believe and intention.. does that. You're no fun.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Thanks for your input.

Have a great day !

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Of course, in western eyes, only Dalai clique tell the truth

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by gs001

Of course, in western eyes, only Dalai clique tell the truth