It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook users wage condom campaign against Pope

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Facebook users wage condom campaign against Pope

www.cnn.com

Critics took to the social networking site Facebook to voice their fury over Pope Benedict's remark that condoms do not prevent HIV.

Thousands have pledged to send the pontiff millions of condoms to protest the controversial comment he made to journalists as he flew to Cameroon last week.

"You can't resolve it with the distribution of condoms," the pope told reporters. "On the contrary, it increases the problem."

Pope Benedict XVI has made it clear he intends to uphold the traditional Catholic teaching on artificial contraception. The Vatican has long opposed the use of condoms and other forms of birth control and encourages sexual abstinence to fight the spread of the disease.

About a dozen Facebook groups have sprang up, mostly from European countries, criticizing the pontiff.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   
It seems the pope's out of touch with reality comments have stirred some people's frustrations out there. Even some health organizations are speaking out.

I wonder how many condems will be sent to the vatican by the time this blows over? Hopefully the vatican has them sent to Africa were they really are helpful despite the pontiffs differing opinion.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 28-3-2009 by FreeSpeaker]

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   
From day one all I could think about this story was: Who cares...at all? Oh no, a catholic official said something ridiculous and backwards!

People are acting like this is some big deal, like the pope's opinion means anything special anyway.

Maybe the real story should be the balls it takes to address the issue with a condemnation of birth control and then retire to his own private city, or luxurious palace/mansion/observatory/whatever else the church spends all its money on.

What a jackass move.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by spines

It is in fact a big deal, since many take the word of the pope seriously.

But well, the Vatican is loosing power day by day, and that's a very good thing, and I'm proud to be part of a generation that is speaking up!
The believe system of the Vatican is old and rusty, modern ideas and mentalities have to be implemented!

[edit on 28-3-2009 by Clairaudience]

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Clairaudience

It is in fact a big deal, since many take the word of the pope seriously.

They mostly only take the Popes word seriously when it suits them.

www.medicalnewstoday.com...

However, more than 75% of U.S. Catholics believe the church should allow the use of contraception, according to a recent Gallup poll (Roylance, Baltimore Sun, 4/10). Because U.S. Catholics tend to abide by the values they consider most important and "quietly ignor[e]" church teachings with which they disagree, many U.S. Catholics use birth control regularly, the New York Times reports (Murphy/Banerjee, New York Times, 4/11). In addition, Italy -- which is 97% Catholic -- has the lowest birth rate in all of Europe, and that rate has declined since 1978, when John Paul II became pope, according to the Sun (Baltimore Sun, 4/10).

The more unreasonable and archaic the Pope and the Church is, the more they alienate their followers. Just like unreasonable parents alienate their children. And once people get used to ignoring you and quietly doing what they want to do behind your back, all of your holy authority is called into question. Even if no one ever actually verbalizes the question.

I for one welcome all the unreasonable and archaic positions the Catholic Church takes. It just hastens their end as an organization. I have nothing against faith mind you, but I have a lot against organizations set up to profit from faith and control the faithful.

Jesus said nothing about birth control, or homosexuality. God didnt either in the ten commandments. You dont have to give up your faith to give up your faith in the Church.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Why they sending them to the vatican, why don't they send to them to africa.

new topics

top topics

join