It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space Shuttle Returning Today 3/28/09 - at 1:39pm or 1739 GMT

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alistar0869
... It's funny how the local newpapers report this but don't cover the 'missing' 4 days?? ...
It really isn't odd that the general media does not give a lot of coverage to the days before and after docking, since not nuch newsworthy really happens. Plus, depending on the position of the ISS, it CAN actually take a day for the sguttle to slowlycatch up to the ISS. NASA does things very slowly and deliberately.

Having said that, I did read an article about the shuttles routine survey of the heat shield, and them finding no significant problems (which is one of the things what they do during the time not docked to the ISS).

If you want to see what's going on during those days, you're welcome to watch it anytime on NASA TV (which you can view online).

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

Exactly, the shuttle doesnt directly launch into the orbit to dock with the station immediately. Instead it launches into a lower orbit, and during the two days, the orbit is adjusted/raised slowly, to make a rendezvous with the ISS, so, when the shuttle launches from florida, the ISS will most probably be over the Indian ocean and the shuttle catches up with it.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Saw this over the weekend in person. Truly amazing, it was the first time I've seen the shuttle land, despite having grown up here. I was always told there wasn't much to see, and from our house we could never spot it. Turns out my grandmother's house is ideally placed north of space center to view landings on runway 15. The shuttle seemed to enter the heading alignment circle right in front of the house (it was actually over the ocean). With binoculars I could clearly make out the wings, nose, and black tiles. Next time I'm bringing my scope and taking pictures.

<< 1   >>

join