It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space Shuttle Returning Today 3/28/09 - at 1:39pm or 1739 GMT

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 08:12 AM
link   
The space shuttle Discovery is returning today after a 13 day mission with 9 days at the ISS. The landing is expected to be at 1:39 at Kennedy Space Center or 1739 GMT.

Johnson Space center is forecasting acceptable weather for their reentry and landing back to Earth. There is concern of some cloud coverage, and if there are any problems they then are cleared for a 3:13 second landing opportunity in Florida.

link to nasa t.v:
www.nasa.gov...

link to info on their landing and weather info for it: from Spaceflight now website:
www.spaceflightnow.com...

info on what they have done during their flight/trip:
uk.news.yahoo.com...

Lets all hope for a safe reentry and landing.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I am watching nasa tv now. The crew are putting on their re-entry suits, and the de-orbit burn will start in one hour.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Low earth orbit is becoming an interesting place over the years, and has become very busy. Today, the shuttle is landing, and at the same time, the expedition 19 crew docked to the ISS. I think we can expect a traffic jam in space in the near future.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Mission controllers will be deciding whether to use the first opportunity or wait for the second one, as Brentt Jett(former astronaut) flying onboard a modified gulfstream aircraft over KSC, is reporting bad weather.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Twenty minutes to go for the confirmation of de-orbit burn.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
First landing opportunity scrubbed due to bad weather.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by peacejet

They're planning on another day in orbit. The conditions are unlikely to improve in time for the second attempt.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

No, I think they are still waiting for the condition's to clear before any final decision is taken, only the attitude was temporarily changed from the de-orbit position and the new time keyed in.

The soyuz hatch opening will be in a few minutes.

[edit on March 28th, 2009 by peacejet]

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   

They haven't made an official decision, but the weather gurus are saying that it's unlikely that it's going to clear up in the next two hours or so based on the radar.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Oh well, better keep fingers crossed.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Hopefully they can make it down today, because the forecast for tomorrow looks even worse. They're calling for partly cloudy Monday, so they might make it then if they can't today. After that they'd probably have to go to Edwards. After Monday, they're calling for thunderstorms every day until the following Monday.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Wow thanks you two, I had just come to the thread and got updated.

I have NASA up now.

Just said they think they will be able to land for second opportunity.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Conditions have improved, deorbit burn is scheduled for about 3 minutes from now. 1408EST.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   
coming in for a landing, 20 mins away.

one liner

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Fox is showing it live right now

not one liner

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   
WOW they are EXACTLY on time.... how do they do that?

To the moment they said it would land.. I am impressed.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by questioningall

Amazing isnt it, such is their calculations.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by questioningall

We used to have aircraft come in all the time with their ETA. Sometimes even an hour or more EARLY. It's not really that difficult a calculation to make, provided everything goes on time.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Hi, this is my first post here.....if the current shuttle mission spent 9 days at the ISS, what did they do for the 4 days in between? It doesnt take 2 days to get to and from the ISS does it? It's funny how the local newpapers report this but don't cover the 'missing' 4 days?? (This question has probably already been raised in an earlier post?)

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Alistar0869

There are no "missing" days in a mission. They spent 8 days attached to the ISS total. The first day or so in orbit they unstow everything, open the doors, adjust orbit to meet the ISS etc. They detached Wednesday, orbited around it taking pictures, then adjusted their orbit to get away from the ISS. Thursday and Friday were spent stowing equipment, cargo coming back from the ISS, etc as well as getting ready to return. Saturday was spent preparing for the return in the morning, getting suited up etc, and then waiting until the second return window.

[edit on 3/29/2009 by Zaphod58]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join