It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth hour 2009

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Oh I'll be standing together in solidarity alright, I'll be standing with my bandmates onstage with a 100 Watt Class A/B Tube Amp burning the midnight oil for all its worth. Ok I'll tell ya what we'll do "Shine a Light" by the Rolling Stones in honor of the Earth. Wait that would be backwards to actually turning one off...Theres way to many instructions for this whole debacle so **ck it, now I won't even raise a Heiniken in a toast to it.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anom3
reply to post by MrVertigo

I have never said that pollution means only CO2.

By pollution I mean all the ways we humans slowly destroy this earth.
Overconsumption, toxic waste, water pollution, produsing huge amounts of garbage, deforestation and so on..

[edit on 28-3-2009 by Anom3]

I never said you did.

However the people behind Earth Hour explicitly state that it's all about global warming:

For the first time in history, people of all ages, nationalities, race and background have the opportunity to use their light switch as their vote – Switching off your lights is a vote for Earth, or leaving them on is a vote for global warming.

(From the official website: www.earthhour.org... )

When people start bringing up toxic waste etc. in a thread discussing a global warming event, it just demonstrates how muddled the debate has become.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
Sorry, but I call 'em like I see 'em. Typical feel-good useless tactics.

Firstly, what about your heat? Cooling? Water heater? Computer? TV? Why not turn these off too? No, no, that would be too much trouble; light switches are easy.

Actually, I will be doing all those things, just like last year. It's all coming off: no light, no heating, no appliances.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Oh and by the way the WWF were warning about global cooling just last year:

The freezing temperatures are proof of the urgent need to cut carbon pollution, according to WWF development and sustainability program manager Paul Toni.

Article: news.smh.com.au...

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
This gesture is a peaceful eco protest at best...and at worst, the power saved during the self imposed black out will actually wind up being more usage than if the lights never went out in the first place.

Why does it take someone outside yourselves (ie: Those sponsoring this, and believe me, they have their motives for doing so) instead of living your daily lives conscious of your power usage, and anything else that impacts our Earth Mother.

Do you think that Big Business is going to shut down for an hour tonite? No.

Do you think that quite possibly they will be graphing which areas in the world comply with this "volunteer" action for later use when for some reason it becomes mandatory that power be rationed for some reason?

If it is something that you feel you must do...then go for it...i can respect that decision...but me, don't think I will be joining.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Yes, lets all join this global unity movement to show our collective respect for the Earth...

...unless you may be slightly apprehensive about joining group rituals that swear allegiance to the concept of an entity(earth) that exists outside of your own consciousness.

All hail the new Earth god ! ...and its minions led by Al Gore !

Join or die, deniers are heretics !

Collectivism at its very best requires unquestioning followers

Pedantic automatons unite !

Lets explore this same unity without the Earth worship
The Great Intention

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Nobody are forcing anyone to do anything..

The bottom line is I am gonna do this, not because I believe it is gonna save the world, but because I want to be a part of a thing like this.

I think its a symbol of unity between us humans, to do something like this togheter no matter where you are in the world.

We should welcome initiatives like this, instead of sitting on our asses, complaining and not doing a damn s**t IMO..

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I did it last year and I'm definitely doing it this year too.

It turned out that not only did I survive without electric light, tv and internet for one hour, but I even enjoied it. I guess it's up to you to find something fun that doesn't include the use of electricity. I for one can think of many things

Global warming or no global warming, it's good to show ourselves that we can survive without electricity, at least for 60 minutes.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by wayno

Hey Redneck these things are not mutually exclusive. Go ahead and do all the things you recommend on top of turning out the lights.

I understand that. But why is there a special time set aside to turn off the lights for an hour, but no special day when everyone is encouraged to simply plant a tree?

Is it too expensive? Heck, I'll collect acorns this fall and ship one to anyone who wants to plant a tree come spring - free!

What does the lights out thing mean? It indicates that there are people in every part of the globe, who are on track on this issue. It is therefore an important issue that power brokers (pun intended) need to address.

It also shows that all those people are doing nothing of substance. And since when do those power brokers listen to people anyway? The US Congress didn't listen to over 80% of the voters screaming bloody murder over a bailout plan; you really think they'll care if you turn your lights off?

On the other hand it might just prove that there are far more people all over the world that just don't give a damn.

Or that there are millions who see this as what it is: futility.

Which symbol are you going to highlight?

I'm going to continue to do as I do. I will cast my 'vote' (wasn't aware this was an election, but what the hey) for reasonable responses to actual problems, and not sit in the dark hoping someone who doesn't even care if I am alive will notice.

Oh, and continue to care for my mountain.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I'm going to turn on every one of my lights, heck, I might even plug in a flood light, screw Al Gore and his BS fear mongering Global Warming crap!

I betcha Al wont turn off his lights, heck his electric bill is around $1,000 a month, he's more of a threat than three of me.

I seriously can't see how you folks believe in such garbage, it's freezing over her where I am and it's supposed to be in the 70's around this time!

The sun is the one at fault in this crap if anything at all is even going on.

Global Warming is a fear tool being used to further control us, by putting cap and trade, limiting how much we can travel, turning off electricity ect., it's all about power and has NOTHING to do with making the earth a better place.

SCREW GLOBAL WARMING AND SCREW "EARTH HOUR"!!!

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I celebrated Earth Hour with my mates, a big bowl of pop corn and a copy of Durkin's 'The Great Global Warming Swindle'.

Rational thought FTW!

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Soo, one hour in darkness too much ??? what will you do when the power disapear ?? just asking ! ?

And, I want to stick some stuff on my car, any one have any idea of any good slogons ?? like '' Global Warming is an Heist '' ?? and where can I get those ??

[edit on 28-3-2009 by ChemBreather]

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChemBreather
Soo, one hour in darkness too much ??? what will you do when the power disapear ?? just asking ! ?

And, I want to stick some stuff on my car, any one have any idea of any good slogons ?? like '' Global Warming is an Heist '' ?? and where can I get those ??

[edit on 28-3-2009 by ChemBreather]
Well if the Power disapears we'll then break out the Acoustics & boutique well aged bourbon along with some cuban cigars, & have one hell of a time. I truly believe that I will not see the power go in my lifetime, so good luck with all that bull#e. However my latter alternative still stands regardless. No need to waste good bourbon & cigars. One more thing & i'm not saying this as a Republican or Democrat or under any other damned label, but Al Gore is one goofy S.O.B. Oh wait, he invented the Internet, my bad.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I will not comply.

I see it as another level of control. No matter how "noble" the idea may appear.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

I understand that. But why is there a special time set aside to turn off the lights for an hour, but no special day when everyone is encouraged to simply plant a tree?

Dude, there is such a day. I know its advertised here (in Canada) but I think its a world wide thing - its called Earth Day - and around here sometimes the local garden centres give out free trees to plant (seedlings). One I planted years ago is a beautiful blue spruce about 15 feet high now.

Between u and I there is but one difference - you choose to give attention to the apparent futility in things -- I choose to give attention to the apparent (or not so) possibilities in things. Yor on the dark side bro! -- just kiddin; I know better - peace

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I'll probably start doing this more often, maybe daily.

God knows the electricity bill has gone up high enough

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Sorry I must have missed the post that says its super cool to hate the earth we live on. Who gives a crap if you don't believe in global warming or if you hate Obama or even if you hate the US or anyone else? This is not about that even if the stupid article says it is.

This is about respect. I can take some time out of my day to respect the earth that allows me to be alive today. If your religious then make it about respecting the world your god made. This is such a small thing to do to make a small step towards living better. They aren't saying that this is the only thing you should do either, you should be trying to live with less impact to the world around you when ever you can. Why? Because it's very egotistical to think that everything should just deal with you being alive and not caring about whats around you.

If this is the issue you make a stand against in life then I almost feel sorry for you. You are the ones that have been brainwashed by the media into turning global warming/cooling/extremes into the issue when the issue is really just being a better person to the planet you live on.

So yes I will be showing my respect to the earth. For those of you who don't want to, maybe find another place to live.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by wayno

[insert heavy mechanical breathing sounds here]

Wayno... you do not know the power of the dark side...

Seriously, doesn't it give you a wonderful feeling every time you see that spruce? Many years ago I planted about 50 pines all along our mountain's edge. At the time there were no pines here, only cedars. Now there are both. I get a good feeling inside whenever I go for a walk and see a pine tree, because if I didn't plant it, I planted the one that made the seed it grew from.

I'm glad to hear about the day set aside up in Canada for planting trees. As opposed to flipping off a switch, that is something that really makes a difference years and decades from now. Not to mention, one of my great joys in life is walking outside and grabbing food fresh from the plant that grew it. That includes picking up nuts off the ground, and today I get bushels of black walnuts every year (so many we can barely mow the yard!
) from a walnut tree I planted many years ago. Add in the two pecan trees that are now starting to bear and the water chestnut (buckeye) tree, and I can have a feast for free.

I'm not gonna say don't turn off your lights; if it makes you feel better, sure, it can't hurt anything. I just don't think it will help either, when all the attention and energy put into turning off everyone's lights would be better spent sticking a seed in the ground.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by whoshotJR
Sorry I must have missed the post that says its super cool to hate the earth we live on. Who gives a crap if you don't believe in global warming or if you hate Obama or even if you hate the US or anyone else?
So yes I will be showing my respect to the earth. For those of you who don't want to, maybe find another place to live.

...and so it begins . This is exactly the purpose of this psi-op. The creation of another issue that polarizes us into taking sides on a moot point

We are the Earth, we can no more leave the Earth than the Earth can leave us

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   
I know this is an event to bring people together and to make a statement, and for that alone, I think it is good.

However.

Back in August I got rid of my cable - so no TV watching anymore (which is fine). I stopped driving anywhere except to work and the grocery store. I havent bought anything new in months and months - not even for Christmas presents. I got laid off in November, and stopped turning on any lights unless they were absolutely necessary. I stopped going out to eat, going to clubs... etc. Every single dollar matters in keeping me afloat. Fortunately, I got a job in January ---- and I have stuck to the exact same financial budget I had when I was unemployed.... I have sacrificed and sacrificed... I am tired. I know that we are ALL on our way to something catistrophic happening soon... I think of it and I just get... more tired. Trying to scrimp and save and turn off lights and cut all luxuries. This Earth Hour event just seems like a feel good event for people who havent really woken up yet. I mean, there are celebrity spokespeople and theme songs... and everything.

I sound so negative, I am sorry. It just turned my stomach.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join