It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spokane residents smuggle suds over green brands

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Spokane residents smuggle suds over green brands

news.yahoo.com

SPOKANE, Wash. – The quest for squeaky-clean dishes has turned some law-abiding people in Spokane into dishwater-detergent smugglers. They are bringing Cascade or Electrasol in from out of state because the eco-friendly varieties required under Washington state law don't work as well. Spokane County became the launch pad last July for the nation's strictest ban on dishwasher detergent made with phosphates, a measure aimed at reducing water pollution. The ban will be expanded statewide in July 2010, the same time similar laws take effect in several other states.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Okay, I'm all for conservation and being eco-friendly, but when people have to smuggle dish detergent across state lines, I think its getting a bit ridiculous.

The funny thing is that if you read the story, if you use the eco-friendly detergents, your dishes don't get clean after the first wash requiring you to run the dishwasher a second or third time. Isn't that wasting more electricity thereby creating a larger carbon foot print?

Dammed if you do, dammed if you don't.

news.yahoo.com

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   
We use a good eco-friendly Ecover dishwasher detergent tablet. Works great but you shouldn't expect to put a crusty lasagna pan in there with out getting the baked on stuff off. I feel like a dirty spammer now.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   
hahaha. This is some funny Sh$t. Smuggling dishwasher detergent.

Keep it up with these stupid laws and pretty soon we will have to have eco friendly toilet paper to wipe our non eco friendly arses with.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Common Good
hahaha. This is some funny Sh$t. Smuggling dishwasher detergent.

Keep it up with these stupid laws and pretty soon we will have to have eco friendly toilet paper to wipe our non eco friendly arses with.

Just makes sure that eco friendy toilet paper is sheryl crow approved.

Left wingers really are fricken lunatics!

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by finemanm

Okay, I'm all for conservation and being eco-friendly, but when people have to smuggle dish detergent across state lines, I think its getting a bit ridiculous.

The funny thing is that if you read the story, if you use the eco-friendly detergents, your dishes don't get clean after the first wash requiring you to run the dishwasher a second or third time. Isn't that wasting more electricity thereby creating a larger carbon foot print?

Dammed if you do, dammed if you don't.

news.yahoo.com

That is just like those low flow toilets. They were meant to save water but in fact waste water in most cases. When you have to re-flush where is the savings. I know a family that keeps a 5 gallon bucket in the bath tube which is next to the toilet. If they do #1 they flush it. But if they do #2 they reach over and trun the water on filling the bucket while they do there thing. Manual flushing they say is better that having to wait for the toilet to refill 2 or even 3 times. I have learned since that manual flushing of low flow toilets is common. Just one more thing that is a step backwards. What is that old saying...One step forwards and two steps back.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Whats with the tolets?

2nd line.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by finemanm

LOL, that's pretty funny, but you right on spot about having to rewash the dishes. It really defeats the purpose of eco-friendly detergent

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by finemanm
Whats with the tolets?

2nd line.

OK, I will explain. Yor use the eco-friendly dishwasher detergent you waste water by having to rewash the dishes 2 or 3 times. Which defeats the purpose of eco-friendly detergent. OK now for the toilets. The low flow toilets were meant to save water but in fact waste water by have to flush 2 or 3 time which defeats the purpose of the low flow toilets. BOTH waste water when they were meant to save water. BOTH defeat there own purpose.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 12:43 AM
link   
I think using eco-friendly products in an automatic dishwasher is kind of ironic. If you want to save the environment don't use the dishwasher at all - wash'em by hand. I've heard that the auto washers use less water than washing by hand but I don't buy that one.

join