It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Uninsured Motorist-Watch Out-Big Brother Is On To You

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Looks like the days of driving around uninsured are just about numbered. Many State and local governments will soon be looking into a new database that tells law enforcement which vehicles are uninsured.

At least 16 percent of motorists tool around without insurance, and a Michigan company says it has developed technology that allows police to easily identify and cite them.

InsureNet's database would compile names, license plate numbers and other information about motorists and provide it to some 35,000 law agencies through a nationwide network linking local, state and federal law enforcement. Cops and traffic cameras could use the information to instantly identify uninsured motorists. InsureNet claims the system could save the insurance industry billions of dollars in fraud and generate hundreds of millions in ticket revenue. It says Chicago and Mississippi are among those that may adopt the technology.

"Until now states have had very little opportunity to determine what vehicles on the road are insured," Rowland Day, the company's executive VP, told Wired.com. "We have developed a system that has the ability to be effective on a national level and therefore beneficial to every state."

blog.wired.com...

Unfortunately, with this recession, many more people may soon be driving around uninsured.

- Insurance industry analysts said the number of uninsured motorists on the nation’s roadways could spike over the next year, as unemployment rises.

www.thedenverchannel.com...

I see this new database as a cash cow for insurance companies, lawyers, cops, courts, and cities, especially if a combination of cameras and cops are used.

Don't even think about privacy issues, I am sure they will justify it as in the best interest of society. Sad part is that even if all drivers in America were insured, we probably would still not see a drop in premiums. Got to keep the insurance companies happy.

Are you for or against this database?

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 11:19 PM
link   
As far as I understand such "Legal" statutes are not really Law. They do not apply to living humans. The "Legal System" is nothing but lies and manipulations enforcing debt slavery through perpetual false financial obligations and taxation. "Uninsured" is one of those many issues that help drive people into dependency on the "legal/political" system. I don't believe big brother can really force people to have car insurance or a drivers license (private) either. Lot's of so called legal statues are completely false. For example there are no "laws" requiring a business to collect sales tax for the state. There are no "laws" requiring a business to withhold taxes from an employees pay check. There are lots of these fake scams perpetrated by lawyers becoming politicians that have no Lawful standing at all.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   
I would say I am suprised, but I am not. The cops, courts, insurance jerks, and all other authority will do whatever they cantosqueeze as much money out of the people as they can while in the meantime costing US THE TAXPAYERS the money to pay for our own deaths. This is just another way for them to squeeze more blood out of the rock cracks. People are already broke enough, we do not really need this at this time.

On the other side of the coin, there are a lot of people out there that dont carry insurance, resulting in hit-n-runs, and also causing many people who dont have insurance to stay off the raods for the safety of others.
I live in Nevada, and there are Thousands of illegal aliens in this state who drive without insurance, and when they get into accidents, they get out of their cars and run leaving their cars and the 'unfortunate dead' without carrying any responsibility. Leaving those families to pay for their own medical and damage car bills unless they carried uninsured motorist coverage(which they have to pay for). Its quite pathetic.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Can't say that I am against this.

If it keeps uninsured drivers off the street then so be it. They aren't supposed to be driving in the first place.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 11:51 PM
link   
My only issue with this is yet another private company will have access to data on me. I just don't trust these companies because many times their security is lacking and my data ends up in the hands of the wrong people.

Also, NY state already does this. If you insurance lapses, the company lets the state DMV know and you get a daily fine after 15 days. Eventually, they will suspend your registration I believe. I just assumed other states did this as well and see no real purpose for such a database to exist if the DMV can already do it.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Wow, loose your job, and thus your ability to pay your mandatory bills, and loose your right to drive .. and thus your ability to look for work. Wow, what smart idea .. this will really help people out of their difficult situation.
And then, when your savings and unemployment benefits run out, and you can't afford your home, you won't even be able to live in your car, ha. And, because you can't sleep in the park, you'll have to sneak into Mexico if you want to avoid being sent to a military camp for the homeless and car-less.

Yeah, they, these corrupt career politicians, and big corporations, and them bankers, sure got this all under control, huh? Is it any wonder so many WANT the economy, and this nation in its current form, TO CRASH and BURN? My advice: before you all become victim of all this, fight back now while you can. Stop supporting these insurance companies NOW .. boycott them all .. stop paying them NOW! They can't toss us all in jail. Don't be a sheople, just do it, STOP sending these gangstas extortion money TODAY! In fact, stop spending money on anything that isn't absolutely necessary for your survival! Don't support your doom. Resistance is not futile, slaves, fight back the only way we can .. STOP playing along and supporting all this nonsense and all these jacks.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by lynn112
My only issue with this is yet another private company will have access to data on me. I just don't trust these companies because many times their security is lacking and my data ends up in the hands of the wrong people.

Also, NY state already does this. If you insurance lapses, the company lets the state DMV know and you get a daily fine after 15 days. Eventually, they will suspend your registration I believe. I just assumed other states did this as well and see no real purpose for such a database to exist if the DMV can already do it.

My problem with this is i for one have a small motor-home that i only use in the summer.

But under some state laws my registration is canceled if i don't have insurance on it year round. About 6 months of the year.
i don't drive it in the winter months so why should i keep insurance on it just to enrich the insurance industry.

I know many in the construction industry that live in motor homes and maybe move once a year. they may only drive it over a two week period once a year when moving to a new job site.

I did this for years when i worked construction.

many retired show-birds only travel 2 to 4 week a year and the motorhomes are parked except for two week in the spring and fall.

why should they pay the insurance industry for not using there motor homes 10 months of the year.

all this mandatory insurance or your registration is canceled is a highway holdup by the bandits at the insurance industry.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

Most states require that you keep insurance on a motor vehicle if you are not paid off on it.

Actually, I'm not sure if it is the state or the bank that has that rule in place.

Maybe someone here can clarify that one up.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by jd140

Most states require that you keep insurance on a motor vehicle if you are not paid off on it.

Actually, I'm not sure if it is the state or the bank that has that rule in place.

I believe this is a bank policy to protect themselves. This ensures that they will at least receive something from the loss.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   
They don't mention that those millions and billions in 'revenue' is revenue derived from the wallets and purses of people who can't afford insurance in the first place.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheDustman
They don't mention that those millions and billions in 'revenue' is revenue derived from the wallets and purses of people who can't afford insurance in the first place.

If they can't afford the insurance how can they afford to own and run a car?

Ever had an encounter with an uninsured driver? It's a nightmare of paperework and correspondance.

In France all cars must display a current insurance tab in the windscreen and the main document must be carried by the driver. Takes a cop a couple of seconds to read and probably a few minutes to check out if suspicious, and the vehicle and not the driver is insured so there's no excuses.

Uninsured drivers are parasites and should be a LOT more responsible for using something that can cause damage, injury and even death on a PUBLIC road.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
"Parasites" implies they are gaining the benefits of a system without paying into it. Seeing as insurance companies do not contribute to the auto industry, maintenance of roads or other services, or anything other then a "just in case". An uninsured driver isn't more likely to hit, kill, or otherwise impair a person, and the only plus to driving uninsured is not having to pay a monthly fee.

So before you cast them as evil, consider that for all the inconveniences they cause you, they get very little benefit.

Oh, and your question about how one can afford to drive a car but cannot afford insurance isn't one with a simple answer. The fact is that it does happen, and I highly doubt everyone who does is an illegal immigrant or intentionally not paying their insurance. ( Or somehow having a parasitic relationship and getting benifits from it. )

[edit on 28-3-2009 by TheDustman]

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by ReelView
As far as I understand such "Legal" statutes are not really Law. They do not apply to living humans. The "Legal System" is nothing but lies and manipulations enforcing debt slavery through perpetual false financial obligations and taxation. "Uninsured" is one of those many issues that help drive people into dependency on the "legal/political" system. I don't believe big brother can really force people to have car insurance or a drivers license (private) either. Lot's of so called legal statues are completely false. For example there are no "laws" requiring a business to collect sales tax for the state. There are no "laws" requiring a business to withhold taxes from an employees pay check. There are lots of these fake scams perpetrated by lawyers becoming politicians that have no Lawful standing at all.

Your right. I go into what really is "law" in this thread www.abovetopsecret.com...

Everything to with operating a vehicle is restricted by statutes, which are NOT laws. Governing can only be done through consent, most people say, well I never consented..?

The truth is that once you REGISTER your vehicle, which in essence is signing the vehicle over to the insurance company, and your now just a partial owner and user. And also APPLYING for a drivers license. Both those bolded terms are discussed in my thread.

If you do not have a drivers license, and have not registered your vehicle, then you have the right to drive it. The common law right to travel STILL EXISTS, and cannot be removed. Instead we are hoodwinked into giving them the power over us by REGISTRATION, APPLICATION AND SUBMITTION. In which we hand over our rights, so the state can be our nanny.

Keep in mind, that just because you don't have to have insurance, doesn't mean your off the hook. If you damage someones vehicle or god forbid, kill someone, then you are hooped and you will have your life ruined by the million+ dollars in debt that you are in.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   
What I don't understand is that instead of looking for ways to make auto insurance cheaper so everybody can afford it, government looks for ways to make a profit off the people too.

Is it really necessary for some insurance companies to use credit reports? IMO, this benefits the rich people and penalizes the poor people.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by TheDustman

Driving on a public road is a privilege not a right and if uninsured drivers paid their share for the "just-in-case" then maybe those who DO pay wouldn't have to supplement their selfishness by paying more!

Yes...parasites who feed off others.

Talk about ignorant.

Originally posted by TheDustman
Seeing as insurance companies do not contribute to the auto industry, maintenance of roads or other services, or anything other then a "just in case".

you need to do some research and come back before you talk about something you don't know about.

An uninsured driver isn't more likely to hit, kill, or otherwise impair a person,

But they refuse to take financial responsibility for anything if they do.

So before you cast them as evil, consider that for all the inconveniences they cause you, they get very little benefit.

Especially when they have their car stolen.

Yes, car insurance is expensive but it's MORE expensive because of those that don't pay it...fact.

The Motor Insurers Bureau (MIB) was set up by statute in 1946 to compensate the victims of uninsured drivers. The fund pays out more than £200 million every year and has paid out more than £2 billion in total. The UK has a very poor record with one in every twenty cars on the road being driven without proper insurance cover. The MIB pays out claims from a fund that is contributed to by every motor insurance company who must by law dedicate a large percentage of their premiums to the fund. This means that every driver who has a motor policy is paying £15 - £30 of their insurance premium to compensate the innocent victims of uninsured drivers.

source

ps..S & F for the O.P....thanx for bringing this up.

[edit on 28/3/2009 by nerbot]

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

I personally am against this database but primarily because I doubt the companies ability to compile accurate information. How many insured people are going to be pulled over because someone accidentally hit the wrong key?

As example, how many people are wrongly on the terrorist watch list? And how impossible is it to get off the list once you're on?

Sometimes the stupidity of the American people gives the government the excuse to come in and stomp on another one of our rights. In this case PRIVACY.

We screw up by not having insurance that we need to have to utilize the PRIVILEGE to drive then we blame the government for coming in and policing us because we refuse to police ourselves.

Yes I understand that due to the economy, people may not be able to pay for insurance but still need to drive to eat and have shelter. That being said, insurance is not for them but to protect their fellow drivers.

That being said, I believe there should be a program like food stamps that would help lower income people pay for insurance so they can make a living. There's a program in Michigan and I'm assuming in other states throughout the country to help low income people pay their heating, electrical, food, etc... bills so why not insurance ???

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Ok, so about 10 years I got a ticket and never paid it. I was just stupid. A kid with better things to do, you know... anyrate...

My license wound up suspended. I drove for the next 4 or 5 years with no license and no insurance. The ticket that only would have cost about a hundred bucks turned into 700. I didnt have it and didnt see it happening anytime soon.

Heres what happened: I quit going out. I quit going to the bars. I only went to work and home. If I needed stuff from the store I would try to get it on the way home. I began to watch 3 or 4 cars behind. I was so paranoid about the cops stopping me and catching me. I always errored on the side of caution and avoided doing anything that would arrouse suspicion.

Finally, I grew tired of it and went with my tail tucked between my legs and asked my dad for a loan to fix it. He did. But when I went to purchase insurance they told me I was high risk due to the fact that I hadnt had insurance in so long.

"How can I be highrisk" I asked them? I havent had an accident, I havent been pulled over. I have to drive like a 90 woman to avoid detection. I think I'm probably a better driver than most on the road. But it didnt matter. The insurance was 189 a month for basic liability on a 10 year old car.

Now as far as gettin plates and whatnot. That was easy. You just walk in and the license bureau says "all the info the same, sir?". Alls you do is say Yes, and you're on your way.

I know it was wrong, but I had to have a job. I figured God wouldnt smote me if I was driving to do the right thing. But I also knew it was a matter of time before it caught up with me. I dont know how to feel about this yet. I see both sides and its a tough call.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
We've had ANPR technology in the UK for years and it works. If you're not insured, then it will flag you up in seconds of scanning your plate and notify the Police in the car. If you're not insured, you probably won't have Tax, MoT or a license.

Aside from the issues raised by others with regards to uninsured drivers, many are also involved in other criminality, at least here in the UK.

A stop for having no insurance will often turn up drugs, wanted criminals, weapons, you name it!

Oh, as for the silly comments about common law meaning you don't need a license or to obey any statute passed by the legislature, well you're wrong.

I am not familiar with the particular piece of English Common Law that grants you an unfettered right to travel, let alone to drive a car without a license or insurance, especially seeing as when much of what we call common law was drawn up in the Middle Ages!

As for the comment on not having to pay taxation due to "common law", that is quite wrong too.

The Bill of Rights 1689 (upon which the later Bill of Rights in the USA was based), grants "Freedom from taxation by Royal Prerogative. The agreement of parliament became necessary for the implementation of any new taxes". What this means is that in order for taxation to be legal, it must be agreed by the legislature via a statute. Statutes are quite legla and enforceable.

I always find it funny when Americans cite Common law as a reason to not pay taxes/get a license/insert thing you don't want to do here, when they apparently have bugger all idea what Common Law is!

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by spliff4020

"How can I be highrisk" I asked them? I havent had an accident, I havent been pulled over. I have to drive like a 90 woman to avoid detection. I think I'm probably a better driver than most on the road. But it didnt matter. The insurance was 189 a month for basic liability on a 10 year old car.

I think this is a classic example of a screwed up system.
Insurance rates are simply too high.

For the record, I have a 5 year old truck and pay about $130.00 per month, have a spotless driving record, never filed a claim and live in a low crime area and mine isn't much cheaper then yours.

The circular logic of the insurance companies confounds me. You're a high risk driver because you didn't have insurance for a long time? What kind of sense does that make?
That's as bad as car insurance companies wanting to run a credit check and give you a rate based on your credit score.

The system is broken.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Ya, its droped some but seriously it made me a better driver than I ever was before. When I first started driving an accident or ticket was the farthest thing from my mind. Didnt even think about it.

Once I lost that license and knew what would happen if I got caught, I suddenly became a whole lot more aware of what was around me. It stuck too. I am still the same way. I may be legal, but I drive like Im not. Like I always tell my wife before she walks out the door-- "love you! remember-- drive it like its uninsured!!"...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join