It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gillispie, Kentucky part ways

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Billy Gillispie is out as coach of Kentucky in his second season at the helm, and the school has called a 4:30 p.m. news conference to announce the change.

On Thursday, a day after Kentucky's season ended with a loss to Notre Dame in the National Invitation Tournament quarterfinals, Gillispie remained committed to his job.

School officials have been quiet about Gillispie's job status after the Wildcats tumbled through the second half of the season to finish 22-14, tied for the second-most losses in the program's 106-year history.

It's official now. UK has fired Gillispie after only 2 seasons.

As a lifelong UK fan, I think we deserve the crap we're going to go through now. The majority of the fan base here treats everyone like dirt as though we are still the best program in the country.

Most people around me right now are thrilled at the move, but I'm not.

Gillispie has definitely had some struggles so far, but he didn't even have a chance to get his own players or style in.

See ya Billy G, it was good while it lasted.

:bnghd:

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Hey Tn. finally got rid of Fulmer after 20 something years!!! FINALLY!!

I am not Tn. fan, nor honestly a college football fan..... but hey, coaches come and go...

the only sports coach that has outlasted any other coach in history is
Pat summit - ladies vols basketball coach. She just had her 1000th win. Been the coach there, since the 70's.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   
This is almost like what happened with Fullmer at Tennesee. One bad season, and boom, Gillespie is done for. They did the same thing to Tubby Smith a few years ago. The University of Kentucky still thinks that they are number one as with Tennessee. Kentucky still thinks that they are number one when it comes to college basketball. Tennessee still thinks that they are number one in college football. In which, for both schools, they have actually fallen from the ranks of the feared programs.

Sorry to inflict more pain, but..............

Exactly how long has it been since Kentucky won a National Title in basketball?
Exactly how long has it been since the Vols won a National Title in football?

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

As I understand it, even if Gillispie had taken them to the sweet 16, they still would have fired him. He just made it easier for them by losing.

They've got this whole thing about the head coach of the bb team being the ambassador for the whole state.
They didn't like the fact that he was single, they didn't like him at parties, and he wasn't interested in dealing with all the crap they put in front of him outside the court.

Like the AD said being the Kentucky bb coach is about a lot more than winning games.

I actually listened to the press conference and I couldn't believe my ears. Who the hell do they think they are? It's like listening to Notre Dame talking about football.

I don't know who they think they are going to get. The only worthwhile up and coming coach out there is the VCU head coach and I'm sure he will have reservations seeing how they treated T. Smith.

Meanwhile Pitino's Louisville is pounding Arizona as we speak.

Got to love karma, the Kentucky "way."

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Billy Donovan from Florida is who I've already heard mentioned. Sure he's been great at Florida and you might wonder why someone would leave the state of Florida to coach B Ball in Kentucky. But basketball will always be second to Football in Gainesville. If he could come to Kentucky and have some tournament success, he'd be worshiped like a deity.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

If I am not mistaken Donovan has already been asked to coach Kentucky last time they were looking for a coach and he turned them down.

As have other coaches.

That's why they had to go to a Texas A&M coach in the first place.

That's why Kentucky is a joke imo. They're like a 60 year old prom queen who still has the attitude from when she was 17.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Donovan was in the mix the last time around. I heard he was a candidate this time, but he came out with an announcement that he has no interest in leaving Florida. Which means nothing in the grand scheme. Not that Billy Donovan is Nick Saban, just saying sometimes guys say things that can change with enough cash.

I'm no fan of Kentucky. But I do think they're one of the elite programs still. If they can attract a big name coach or any coach that can get them back on track, they'll be a force for years to come.

Sort of like Indiana, the bloom has been off the rose for awhile, but there's no doubt it's still considered a plum assignment.

North Carolina, Kansas, UCLA, Kentucky, Indiana. Those are probably the top 5 coveted coaching jobs in college hoops.

Off topic, but Tom Crean will have Indiana back at the top sooner rather than later.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

Thank God. I never liked him to begin with. Plus you add the fact that the moron would have two hour practices before games, and would not change his ways. Time to go. I don't even like Kentucky basketball and I thought he was a bad fit.

top topics

join