It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magazine questions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Newbie questions about mags:

1. In general, how long do mags last for rifles and/or pistols?

2. Other than being able to maintain fire, what are the general benefits of stocking up on spare mags?

3. Should mags be kept full or empty when storing? Is it bad for the spring? Should a new mag be kept full to "break it in?

Thanks!

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by larphillips
Newbie questions about mags:

1. In general, how long do mags last for rifles and/or pistols?

2. Other than being able to maintain fire, what are the general benefits of stocking up on spare mags?

3. Should mags be kept full or empty when storing? Is it bad for the spring? Should a new mag be kept full to "break it in?

Thanks!

Mags last for a long time, if properly kept. You should have plenty of spare mags fro your particular weapons. It is also a good thing to make sure that these mags work properly aftre you buy them.

You didn't say what weapons you have that need mags.

I'll tell you a bit about mine. I have three guns that need mags. Ruger 10/22, Ruger MK3 and 1911 .45.

The 1911's take a 7 or 8 round mag and you can get them as basic as mil surplus or higher end with stainless with polymer followers. I keep my personal defense gun with loaded mags. I do rotate the rounds out about once a month. The mil surplus mags are fairly inexpensive 7 or $8 if I recall...out of 10, all worked though some better than others, they just needed some smoothing out.

The Ruger pistol is another story. Those 10 round mags are expensive. What i did was to call Ruger and speak to CS and order the individual parts to build about 10...I saved almosdt 50% over a complete mag.

The 10/22 uses a rotary mag and are somethat expensive. I try to keep a half dozen on hand.

A good quality mag will be reliable...however you need to do youor part and keep it clean and oiled.

[edit on 27-3-2009 by Jmurman]

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by larphillips[/url]

I agree with Jmurman about keeping your mags well oiled and cleaned.

Whatever you do, do not keep your spare mags fully charged, as this will, in time, weaken the spring.

I would also suggest that you only use mags supplied by your weapon's manufacturer and not what may be a cheaper version from another supplier.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 04:36 AM
link   
9 rounds in a 10 round rifle mag
19 in a 20 round rifle mag and 28 in a 30 round mag if you are going to store mags with ammo in them

Then top them just before use.
this keep the spring from being jammed to the bottom of the mag and takes the strain off the spring.

This is what i have done ever since i learned about it in Vietnam and it has always worked for me

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 07:28 AM
link   
All great advice. Thanks guys.

Now if I can just get all this damn cosmoline of off my new purchases (and first attempts ever at cleaning a firearm in any way... I hope I don't f*** things up.)

top topics

join