It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada-U.S. border should remain tight: Homeland Security chief

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Does DHS know something about the Canadian border that we don't? Ever since Janet Napolitano took over as head of the DHS I have noticed that she has shown a special interest about Canada.

This was days after being sworn in.

Just days after being sworn in, Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano has ordered a comprehensive review of security efforts along the border between the U.S. and Canada.

Agencies including Customs and Border Protection, the Coast Guard and her department's intelligence branch have been asked to assess the vulnerabilities along the 4,000-mile northern border - the longest undefended border in the world - and recommend what can be done to improve security.

While more attention has been focused on the southern border with Mexico, the department has said that the terrorist threat is greater on the U.S.-Canadian border, given its length and limited law enforcement.

www.azcentral.com...

In Feb. she tried to calm Canadians fear about the review and blamed the media for twisting things up.

U.S. Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano sought to reassure Canadians on Friday that a recent review of U.S-Canada border security was simply a fact-finding exercise, not necessarily a prelude to tougher border measures.

In an unusual step, Ms. Napolitano held a teleconference with Canadian reporters, and expressed concern that some of the media coverage north of the border had "misconstrued" the purpose of the review.

www.nationalpost.com...

Now we come to March where she basically says both borders should be treated equally, contradicting what she said in Feb.

The U.S. secretary of homeland security doused hopes on Wednesday that the Canadian border will be treated differently than America's beefed-up boundary with Mexico.

"One of the things that we need to be sensitive to is the very real feelings among southern border states and in Mexico that if things are being done on the Mexican border, they should also be done on the Canadian border," Janet Napolitano told a Canada-U.S. border conference in Washington, D.C.

The day-long Brookings Institution event featured dozens of participants from both countries discussing ways in which the movement of goods and people across the Canada-U.S. border could be facilitated. Napolitano's remarks closed the event.

"We shouldn't go light on one and heavy on the other," she said of the Canadian and Mexican borders.

"This is one NAFTA, one area, one continent, and there should be parity there. I don't mention this to suggest that everyone in this room will agree with that, I mention it to suggest it's something I have to deal with, and so I ask for your sympathy."

www.cbc.ca...

She evens goes on to say that the travel initiative between Canada and the US will not be delayed anymore. Words that contradict what Congress has says.

She also said there would be no further delay of the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative, which as of June 1 will require adults entering the United States from Canada, the Caribbean, Bermuda or Mexico to present a passport. That phase of the initiative has been delayed several times.

Napolitano's comments came despite a Democratic congresswoman's remarks to the conference earlier in the day that neither the U.S. nor Canada was prepared to meet the June deadline.

www.cbc.ca...

Additional source about Canada Border ID delay

Why the sudden interest in the Northern Border? This border has had minimal changes as compared to the Southern border since 9/11.

Is it really about equality or is something coming down the pipe?

I applaud the equality because IMO a terrorist is a terrorist no matter which border they come in through. As we found out on 9/11, it doesn't take that many terrorist to cause mayhem in our country.

What say you?

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Of course there should be increased border security on the Canadian-US border. We wouldnt want those Americans coming into our lands.

Kidding, but isnt it crazy though. I personally had an encounter with border police when I went over the border 15 years ago. I am still not allowed into the United States (I had drug paraphanelia on me), and I dont plan on asking for permission either. The cops were real nice to me though (it was easter weekend) and the judge had to be called from his home to come to police dept. to have a trial I guess. I told him that in Canada, police take what you got, throw it in the garbage and send you on your way, they wanted to give me 1 year in jail, which would have been at Adica (new york state) since it was a federal charge. I fought it, got released and paid a fine instead, but was not allowed into the states for 5 years. After that I have to see a judge in the states and ask for permission to come back in. Not interested anymore.

Why would anyone want to visit a growing police state. I can smoke joints walking in the streets here. Besides the cold up here keep the crazies away.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Between the breeding ground in Montreal to the scattered operatives, by now married to white single moms across the country (if they took their orders seriously), I couldn't agree more that the US-Canadian border should be tighter than the south.

In fact, it's probably high time for some good old fashioned profiling. Canada has some SERIOUS immigration problems thanks to PC anti profiling and uber liberal human rights laws.

I know I'll offend lots by what I said, but for the North, it's the truth.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Atlantican

Canada has some SERIOUS immigration problems thanks to PC anti profiling and uber liberal human rights laws.

Unfortunately, most Americans fear illegals more than terrorist. Furthermore, most are unaware of what you state because our media as well as our politicians prefer to keep the attention on the Southern border.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 02:55 AM
link   
I think that both borders should be treated equally, just in the spirit of fairness, of course.

2nd ___________

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 03:00 AM
link   
reply to post by haika

I agree , both borders should have walls ,

When all those Mexicans swarm into the US

We in Canada dont want Yanks swarming us

BUILD A WALL

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 03:58 AM
link   
Hello I think Americans are manipulated and brainwashed into fearing and hating Mexican "Illegals", and this is to facilitate the NAU.

I have lived in Montecito, Santa Barbara, San Fran and the latinos are hard working, low wage, non obstrusive. They manage to buy property and transpotation doing all the dirty jobs for the Americans. The state gets to keep their assets and most will be put in ball and chain.

[edit on 28-3-2009 by HulaAnglers]

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 04:11 AM
link   
The Border

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 04:11 AM
link   
That's why I said that then both borders should be treated equally, not only the one with Mexico.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Why yes! Let's tighten the security on the US / Canadian border, because those toque wearing, maple syrup slurping, poutine eatin' freaks might let third world terrorists into our country, who will get a hold of numerous planes simultaneously and attack our people and our cities while being directed from a guy in a cave with a laptop.
Sure....
I'll keep telling myself that while my 15 year old son tells me his friend is hiding from a gun packing Mexican. And I'm not in the least bit racist, and I live in rural Ontario.

What this is going to accomplish, is feelings of animosity between the countries and it's the tourist industry that will be hit hard.
We'll be taking vacations on our own respective sides of the border and saying "Screw you."
I love my Continent, yes I said that correctly.
Go ahead and throw out the whole barrel because you are afraid of a few bad apples.
The economy needs tourist dollars right now, and you are bottle-necking that cash flow right when it would start to flow in.
Great Idea.
pffft.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 08:45 AM
link   
The Media has always encouraged the Americans to disrespect their Canadian neighboors, just google Amaricans invade Canada...sad

It will be very easy to invade us Canadians we are from all over the World! We are all about peace!

Our ancestors had the courage to leave their homelands because of persecution and enslavement, and we have many recent additions who also have escaped war and enslavement from their own Countries. We have many mixes, it is kind of hard to be racist for most of us, and we just want to live our lives in peace.

The Greedy Imature Sadists actually prefer if we do not put up a fight.

[edit on 28-3-2009 by HulaAnglers]

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   
while I do in a degree think both borders should be watched, I think the southern boarder should have most security due to the amount ofpeople that flock through that border. You dont see 1000 canadians running across our borders everyday comming here to take our jobs. You just dont.
You see it on the southern border, and dont run away from that fact.
As far as I am concerned, Canada has their sh$t together, Mexico on the other hand, not so much. If we didnt have to worry about Mexico the way we do, we wouldnt have to be so tough on our border security.

Hell, we cant even get our southern border secured properly , let alone trying to fix our northern border at the same time. I say once we get our southern border under control, and all of the bs that comes along with it, the Canadian border can wait. Why all of the sudden interest in it now?
If a 'terrorist' were going to come into the US, chances are, he would come through the southern border because it would be much easier for them to do so since Mexico really doesnt keep tabs on who is in their country inthe first place especially with all the crap that they are dealing with right now. Canada on the other hand, well in my opinion I think that they would catch most of these guys before they even got anywhere near the border.
Like I said earlier, I do think both borders need to be protected, but asof now, I think the major concern should be our southern border more than our northern border due to all of the violence going on.

-Side note...I also dont really think all of this has anything to do with terrorism. I think they are just using that as a smokescreen for some other evil agenda. Something doesnt smell right.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Common Good

If a 'terrorist' were going to come into the US, chances are, he would come through the southern border because it would be much easier for them to do so since Mexico really doesnt keep tabs on who is in their country inthe first place especially with all the crap that they are dealing with right now.

If you were a terrorist would you try to sneak in through a heavily guarded border or one that is hardly protected because there isn't enough manpower?

I refer you to the first source I posted.

While more attention has been focused on the southern border with Mexico, the department has said that the terrorist threat is greater on the U.S.-Canadian border, given its length and limited law enforcement.

Our own DHS says the risk of terrorist is greater on the Northern Border.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Under what classification, is a terrorist?
Can you describe one? Spot one in a crowd?Give a definite nationality for one?
You can't.
Because even those living within your own borders are just as capable of a terrorist act..and I despise such an over-used word.
Can you say Oklahoma?
en.wikipedia.org...
You can put all the safety measures you like on your borders but you cannot prevent mutiny on your own Bounty, and in fact your actions may cause more of it outright.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 04:22 AM
link   

Rounding the "good Mexicans" up to clean up the trash, after of course steeling their homes and carswww.dailymotion.com...

[edit on 29-3-2009 by HulaAnglers]

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
My Opinion

The one video says mexicans and native Americans are the indigenous people of North America? I don't recall the Mexicans being in North America before 1492? as I recall spanish conquest of the Native peoples were just as bad as the rest of the European cultures which immigrated to North America LOL.

just wanted to point that little fact out

my opinion

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Miishgoos

The one video says mexicans and native Americans are the indigenous people of North America? I don't recall the Mexicans being in North America before 1492?

So Mexicans came with Columbus?
Wow! You learn something new every day huh?
I'm guessing that the correct way of phrasing it would be Native Americans (including the Mexican territory.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 07:43 AM
link   
My opinion

Yeah whatever floats your boat

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Let's just say a little birdie told me something. Here in Canada visa applications numbers are skyrocketing. And form the oddest countries.

It's cold here, but not much different along the border where 90% of the population lives, than the northern US.

Conservative banking system and relatively honest politicians along with abundant natural resources and a universal healthcare system.

Watch for new disputes with the US.

Mike

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   
So, us "Europeans" should just go home? Sounds like a plan...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join