It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Piping Hot Tea Can Give You Cancer: Study

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Piping Hot Tea Can Give You Cancer: Study

uk.news.yahoo.com

Scientists have urged tea-loving Brits not to give up their favourite beverage because of a health scare.

Researchers found drinking tea with a temperature above 70C inceased the risk of oesophageal cancer eight-fold.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Well, that's how the NWO and recent Labour proposals will go about thinning the UK population down to a target of 30,000,000 people!

Joking aside, as a nation traditionally described as 'tea drinkers' and knowing many, many people who have the ability to drink 'kettle hot' tea this is pretty worrying.

As I'm one of the relatively few people who still tends to brew in a pot, I don't really have this problem.

uk.news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Thank god I am an Iced Tea drinker.
Two lines.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I'm not too worried. These psedo-scientific studies never faze me.

We all have to die of something.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Yes but to hot anything can be bad.
Hot as in temperature not hot as in hot peppers.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 08:48 AM
link   
You should never use boiling water anyway...plus i always urge people to ditch tea and coffee..drink yerba mate instead,far better than green tea for your health and gives a better stimulation than coffee,it contains caffeine but also theobromine.. and also has a mild MAOI action to lift your mood.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   
How to demonise a traditional healing herb: claim it gives you cancer.

They only did this with 300 people. Not enought to take it out of the realms of pseudo-science. It doesn't factor in any other aspects of these people's lives at all.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Merriman Weir

Same here with the teapot - it just tastes better somehow.

I never really understood how people could drink scalding hot tea - or any other beverage for that matter.

I suppose it makes sense that continually burning your throat and mouth might not be the best thiing a person could do though - and whther people realise it or not, that's what happens when you drink at that temperature and above.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 09:07 AM
link   
I'm tried of these stupid studies. Tea, especially green tea is like the healthiest thing you can put in your body. Everything will eventually kill you! Can wait for the next great science break through which will probably be, being born will give you cancer.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Add another thing to the "It Gives You Cancer" list.

Why not just say life gives you cancer and be done with it?

IRM

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Omg, I'm quite literally just drinking a cup. I do add sugar and milk though, maybe that'll cool it enough?

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
i drink a cup of decaf green tea every morning, that or oolong tea. i never drink it scalding hot, and i don't add cream or sugar. i think i will take my chances with the hot tea... its better than smoking, so i should be good right?

i'm more worried about staining my teeth with the tea than anything this study says....

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   
If your mouth burns when you put a beverage to your lips, that's nature's way of telling you its too hot for your gutty-works.

Seriously, did they need a scientific study to show that drinking super-hot liquids can damage your body? I think its common sense, let your tea cool off for a few and all will be well.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   
In other news: Life can give you cancer!!

Oh Noes! Let's all kill ourselves bwfore it's too late.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solomons
You should never use boiling water anyway...plus i always urge people to ditch tea and coffee..drink yerba mate instead,far better than green tea for your health and gives a better stimulation than coffee,it contains caffeine but also theobromine.. and also has a mild MAOI action to lift your mood.

Thank you for the suggestion, Solomons. I just ordered some Yerba Mate with acai berry. I can't wait to try it.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I'd drink green tea like 3 times a day if it wasn't for the high fluoride content. Hard to enjoy when you think of your pineal gland turning to stone lol.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Japanese men were known to suffer high rates of stomach cancer from eating their food at very high temperatures.... It was found to be from the custom of the man of the house having to finish his meal before the women were able to start eating their meal. I guess that they preferred scalding their guts to avoid scolding looks from hungry women.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
It is obvious that the problem is a burning of the esophagus by the hot liquid which may provide an area of tissue that is weakened and not able to defend against the possibly fungal in nature cancer cells. I don't think it is the tea or the coffee but rather the burning in other words. I have to force myself to let the pizza cool down before I eat it due to frequent burnings of inter orificular derims(?).

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I am anxiously waiting for study that will find that reading these kinds of studies may give people cancer. It's not like it is a way to get one more publication or grant.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by hypervigilant
Japanese men were known to suffer high rates of stomach cancer from eating their food at very high temperatures.... It was found to be from the custom of the man of the house having to finish his meal before the women were able to start eating their meal. I guess that they preferred scalding their guts to avoid scolding looks from hungry women.

Exactly! Isn't it interesting that we are only now catching on to this. I wonder how many cancers are brought on by injury of a body part. I believe Bob Marley may have had an injured foot that went untreated and eventually was overridden with cancer.

This is news you can use.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join