It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judges Accused of Jailing Kids for Cash

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Another black eye for the judicial system, this story just makes me sick, judges sending children away for the money.

link

Luzerne County sits in the heart of Pennsylvania's struggling coal country; Wilkes-Barre is the county seat, a hardscrabble, blue-collar city that knew hard times even before this latest recession.

People there were shocked in January when federal prosecutors announced that respected county judges Mark Ciavarella and Michael Conahan had pleaded guilty to tax evasion and honest services fraud, the result of a lengthy investigation by the Internal Revenue Service and the FBI. Yesterday the Pa. State Supreme Court overturned hundreds of convictions of low-level offenders, ruling that all juveniles who had appeared in Ciavarella's courtroom without lawyers between 2003 and 2008 had not been adequately informed when they waived their right to counsel.

THese two and their cohorts who opened the privately owned child detention facilities should serve time equal to all of the kids incarcerated unjustly.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I don't think that they should spend time in jail only. They should also pay restitution to these victims that they neggligantly incarcerated. The sick idea to take a juvinile offender and put them in lockup for low level criminal activity is appauling. And to do so for a kickback is even worse!

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

I agree, in addition to doing some hard time, maybe take the money the judges and their partners corruptly made from this pitiful scheme and fund the kids' education, whether it be college or trade school.

I will be tuned in to see how the story goes on 20/20 tonight.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 08:25 AM
link   
For those who missed the broadcast you can watch the segment here:

abcnews.go.com...

It is angering to see what these two judges did with their illgotten gains, partnering up for a condo in a Florida in Tiger Woods neighborhood and an expensive boat called Reel Justice...

Where is the REAL Justice for the 5000 kids affected by this CRIME?

Arrghh! too angry to type, scum...

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Outrageous!!!

Now one of the judges who plead guilty to corruption in this scheme to make a profit on the local youth is asking for a civil suit brought against hi to be dropped.

What is the ground he is using?

Former Luzerne County Judge Mark Ciavarella (shiv-ah-REL'-lah) says he's entitled to judicial immunity for decisions he made from the bench, even if they were corrupt.

emphasis mine

No remorse there

for the story go here : www.philly.com...

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
A fresh report that shows some of the victims of these judges/private detention facility's greed...

:shk:

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I saw this many times on michael moores film captialsim a love story. He does talk about the so called judge chiverella. And to think he had a yacht christined REEL justice* chiverella and his lawyer freind, took over some day care center thier in PA, and conjured up this plot. sending youg teens to prison fro throwing steak across the room at a fmaliy argument, another female teen for posting some stupid unny stuff about her teacher, miniscule things like that. they would say they would be in his courtroom for 2 or 3 minutes...thats it.
sad, when theyve made lady justice offering a bribe envelope instead of tipping her scales in the idea and belife for a fair trial* sickening...

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
What do you expect when the corporate owners of these prisons have stocks that are traded on the exchange.

Every business needs to show a profit or it will fail.

God Bless America.....

new topics

top topics

join