It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who else already truly believes there is life elsewhere other than earth?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaviorComplex

Originally posted by blupblup
To think otherwise would be foolish and arrogant..

Despite the fact I do think there is life beyond Earth, I do not think the other possibility is either foolish or arrogant. I find the idea that we may be alone to be a daunting and frightening prospect.

Oh it is indeed a daunting and frightening experience to think we are alone in the universe... but it doesn't mean we are.

Well i think perhaps then shallow may be a better term for it.

Why in all this infinite vastness, would we be alone?
I'm not saying that there definitely is life in the universe, hell....we don't know.
what I'm saying is, to think we are the only living organisms in this incomprehensibly huge "thing" that we call the universe.... is quite frankly either shallow, foolish or arrogant.

What term would better describe it do you think?

I suppose on the flip-side it could be seen to be foolish, arrogant and shallow to presume there is life elsewhere... but i would say not.
There is just too much out there for us to be the only organisms or "life" in the entire "universe"

[edit on 27/3/09 by blupblup]

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Count me in, I certainly believe that we are not alone, in fact I believe that our Solar System is teeming with life, and for me, it follows that life is everywhere in the Universe.
Having seen a number of craft quite clearly not 'ours', it is simple logic to assume that there are 'others', some even based here on Earth [ the watchers/orbs] and on the Moon.

Regards,

Horsegiver.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   
If you take a drop of water... just one tiny drop... from pretty much anywhere in the ocean and put it under the microscope, you will likely find that it is teeming with life, even though you can't see anything with the naked eye.

Now if you could take the immeasurable vastness of the universe (excluding earth, of course), and really inspect it in the same way as you could inspect the drop of water, don't you think you would find at least one tiny microbe, or cell, or something out there somewhere?

I think so.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   
I sure think and hope there is more life elsewhere! I think it would be so cool to meet them too!

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I don't believe there's life on other planets, I know there are.

I mean come on... The infinite universe and we're the only beings out there? I find that hard to believe.

Peace,
FK

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by King neptune117

Agreed! I've believed in life on other planets since I knew what other planets were. And I too believe that a God figure did it, sat back and has been letting things develp fully on their own. No Adam and Eve for me! the universe is just a little petri dish, doing it's own thing. Whatever comes out of it, did it on it's own accord.

typo edit

[edit on 27-3-2009 by Heatburger]

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   

At this point, anyone who doesn't believe is only protecting an ulterior motive, whether that be their religion (and I consider science a religion too), job, reputation, etc.

Failing the above there's always the low I.Q. to contend with.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Hi, my name is John S.

I was raised with a strong religious background.

My favourite T.V. shows are Big Brother and American Idol.

I also love to listen to Britney Spears and Nickleback.

My hobbies include watching the football and catching up with friends on Facebook.

I don't believe there is life on other planets because even though there are dozens, maybe hundreds of other planets, we are God's only and perfect creation.

If there was life on other planets, I would have seen it on the news.

[edit on 27-3-2009 by OZtracized]

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Somewhere on a planet far far away, maybe in another galaxy, someone doesn't believe in us either.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I would be scared #less if I one day found out that we were the only excisting life in the Heffaverse!

On the other hand people seem to think we´re the first civilization on earth with our 6000 years of development. Man is atleast 25 million years old as a species. Traces?

Well if I had a spaceship I would leave this sick colony and head home!

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by OZtracized
Hi, my name is John S.

I was raised with a strong religious background.

My favourite T.V. shows are Big Brother and American Idol.

I also love to listen to Britney Spears and Nickleback.

My hobbies include watching the football and catching up with friends on Facebook.

I don't believe there is life on other planets because even though there are dozens, maybe hundreds of other planets, we are God's only and perfect creation.

If there was life on other planets, I would have seen it on the news.

[edit on 27-3-2009 by OZtracized]

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by OZtracized

Seriously? No offense if it is, but your post seemed really rehearsed and I wanted to know if it was legitimate. To each his own, obviously, it just seemed rather fake.

[edit on 27-3-2009 by Heatburger]

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
what I'm saying is, to think we are the only living organisms in this incomprehensibly huge "thing" that we call the universe.... is quite frankly either shallow, foolish or arrogant.

What term would better describe it do you think?

Certainly not any of the terms you ascribe it. Their position, even if we do not agree with it, is no less reasonable than our position and thus far support by just as much evidence.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Heatburger

Sorry mate, that was my dry and sarcastic sense of humour. I guess what I was trying to say is that most people who dare to think for themselves would likely believe in the possibility/probability of life on ther planets.

Those who live in the bubble of popular culture (which a part of me envies!) possibly would not.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by 3DPrisoner
At this point, anyone who doesn't believe is only protecting an ulterior motive, whether that be their religion (and I consider science a religion too), job, reputation, etc.

Could you please point to a single scientist, just one, in the past twenty years who says we are alone in the universe? Or has said it to protect their job or reputation? Just one.

None of us should be so arrogant to assume someone who doesn't agree with us is of a lower intelligence when we do not have the answer either. We should not be so arrogant as to presume we have the answer in the first place.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaviorComplex

Could you please point to a single scientist, just one, in the past twenty years who says we are alone in the universe? Or has said it to protect their job or reputation? Just one.

I have some friends who are phycists who buy into the belief that it is physically impossible for other beings to get here because of the speed of light problem.

They all support each other in this belief. I try and tell them that advanced beings from other worlds will figure out ways to cheat or circumvent our physics but they're smug in the mainstream education that's been spoon fed to them.

And if you're going to try and get technical on me by stating that the thread asks about life in general and not intelligent life then I will counter that I'm only going along with the general flow of what's been posted in reply to this thread.

Answer your question?

SaviorComplex
None of us should be so arrogant to assume someone who doesn't agree with us is of a lower intelligence when we do not have the answer either. We should not be so arrogant as to presume we have the answer in the first place.

Nor should we try and lechture each other when we fail to grasp another's humor.

[edit on 27-3-2009 by 3DPrisoner]

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I for one do believe. The Drake Equation more or less proves that the odds of there NOT being life elsewhere are far less than the odds that there is life. And besides, it's just more fun and less egocentric to believe.

TheAssociate

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 12:31 AM
link   

here's the way i see it, with our current space telescopes *the ones that look past the visible light spectrum*, we can see up to 13.4-13.8 billion light years away, which is the edge of the "known" universe. Since light years are directly correlated with time, it is a fact that the universe is at least 13 billion years old. Seeing how life on earth as we know it in it's present carbon-based form evolved in a little less than 3 billion years, that surely leaves a great amount of time for life, and most definitely more advanced civilizations than ours *perhaps they achieved faster-than-light travel* to have evolved and exist elsewhere in the universe. Look at it this way, we went through nearly a thousand years of constant war and lack of science, just imagine if we had gone through with the renaissance 500 years sooner, think of how much 500 years an impact would have on a technologically-inclined civilization

It's really mind blowing when you think about it.
but to answer the question, there is no doubt that there is life elsewhere in the universe, and not just simple cellular life, but complex and intelligent life.

[edit on 3/28/2009 by Daedalus24]

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 01:07 AM
link   

I have some friends who are phycists who buy into the belief that it is physically impossible for other beings to get here because of the speed of light problem...

Not only was that not the topic, it was not my question, nor was it the "general flow of the discussion." The accusation was scientists do not believe in life beyond Earth and I asked for that to be substantiated.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join