It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the pedge of aliegence.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
the pledge of Allegiance... I wonder how relevant the pledge is at this point in history.
Just an observasion...but.. lets just see.

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the united states of america, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation, under god, indivisable... with liberty and justice for all."

"to the republic for which it stands" Lets take a look at this...websters dictionary says a republic is...

"1 a (1): a government having a chief of state who is not a monarch and who in modern times is usually a president (2): a political unit (as a nation) having such a form of government b (1): a government in which supreme power resides in a body of citizens entitled to vote and is exercised by elected officers and representatives responsible to them and governing according to law (2): a political unit (as a nation) having such a form of government "

Now lets look at the word "monarch"...

1: a person who reigns over a kingdom or empire: as a: a sovereign ruler b: a constitutional king or queen
2: one that holds preeminent position or power

Is Obama a Monarch?...

the pledage of aliegence

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 02:09 AM
link   
"a government having a chief of state who is nota monarch"

America is a Republic, based on Democracies (communities)... Even though Benjamin Franklin said Democracy was the worse form of government.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
A side note:

As a schoolteacher, I have to point out that the phrase "one Nation, under God" is properly written and pronounced "one Nation under God" (without the comma or a pause).

A small point, but I am reminded of it every day as we recite The Pledge during morning orientation.

Source

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shadoefax
A side note:

As a schoolteacher, I have to point out that the phrase "one Nation, under God" is properly written and pronounced "one Nation under God" (without the comma or a pause).

A small point, but I am reminded of it every day as we recite The Pledge during morning orientation.

Source

I stand corrected. When I was in school we always emphasized a pause between "one nation" and "under god". We were never informed that we were saying it wrong.
Good to know!

top topics

join