It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NFL Player Detained as Family Member Dies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Another fine example of "Protect and Serve".

www.dallasnews.com...

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
This is, sadly, the situation with a lot of cops, they do not take the time to think of others, only "afronts" to their authority. That cop, Powell, should be a security guard from this point forward. He has no heart for helping people. What a jerk.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I'm sure this happens ALL the time... The only reason we are hearing of this is because it happened to a NFL player and he's got the money to do something about it.

If this had been me being harrassed by the cop while rushing to the hospital to see a relative then nothing at all would have been said.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by cautiouslypessimistic
Another fine example of "Protect and Serve".

www.dallasnews.com...

“Attitude’s everything,” he said. “All you had to do is stop, tell me what was going on. More than likely, I would have let you go.”

It had been about 13 minutes.

Moats and Collinsworth’s father went into the hospital, where they found Collinsworth had died, with her daughter at her side.

Just to clarify a few things here.

“If you want to keep this going, I’ll just put you in handcuffs,” the officer said, “and I’ll take you to jail for running a red light.”

POLICE CANNOT TAKE YOU TO JAIL FOR RUNNING A RED LIGHT!

This is a classic example of thug police officers, thinking they are the king of the world and that their power is unending. It's not the case. This man had harmed noone, he had harmed noones property and he was completely cooperating. This man DID NOT BREAK A LAW! PERIOD!

This cop then continually threatens him with jail, for absolutely nothing, knowing that they are stopped in front of an emergency room where his mother in law is dying. They didn't come to a stop in front of a bar, or a nightclub after 'rolling through the light' they're at a damn hospital!

Police officers like the one in this article absolutely ruin the name of their profession for every other law abiding, GOOD officers, who haven't forgot that they are there to SERVE AND PROTECT US! NOT THE CORPORATION!

And again we have another example of ignorance of the law, as being a black guy I am sure the driver of the vehicle wasn't about to try and argue with the white cop who obviously doesn't give a # about his opinion. But the reason the police have come to act like this, is because noone ever corrects them, noone ever exercises their rights because were all so blissfully ignorant of the laws and allow words to literally RUN OUR LIVES!

Learn about the LAW www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by XTexan

you took the words out of my mouth . I agree but i also think it is really messed up that the officer did this. I would hope this wouldnt happen to anyone. Atleast his wife, the womans daughter, made it in and was there w/ her mother when she passed.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Wow man what an a** hole this officer was. It just goes to show you how inhumane some of these police officers are. They have no compassion for humans and the situations they are going through. I will say that Im sure they get excuses all the time about the "dying mother" routine but god they were in front of a hospital I mean that should be proof enough they we werent lying.....

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by XTexan
I'm sure this happens ALL the time... The only reason we are hearing of this is because it happened to a NFL player and he's got the money to do something about it.

If this had been me being harrassed by the cop while rushing to the hospital to see a relative then nothing at all would have been said.

I don't understand the point you are trying to make. If this is happening all the time, it is a gross statement on the current police force in this country.

And regardless of the fact that we are only hearing about this because it is someone of prominance, it is about time that things like this are publicised.

Apathy is a scary thing my friend.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   
This creep should NEVER have a job where he is allowed to carry a gun.
With his "authoritarian" attitude, he'd be more than happy to shoot someone for any reason he could come up with, esp if they were black.

He's a racist moron and should be fired.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I wonder how many people have run red lights and used an emergency as an excuse, and even pulled into an er lot to support their story?

Though the officer could of called the er and double checked the mother was there.

but if the driver had been a criminal and used that excuse and got away, especially from a major crime, the officer would be crucified for not doing his job.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
I wonder how many people have run red lights and used an emergency as an excuse, and even pulled into an er lot to support their story?

Though the officer could of called the er and double checked the mother was there.

but if the driver had been a criminal and used that excuse and got away, especially from a major crime, the officer would be crucified for not doing his job.

Thing is, they were pulled over in the hopitol parking lot. They ran a light after being waived on by another motorist. They had hospitol staff confirm their story. And above all, police officers have a direct line to all local hospitols. He could have easily gotten on his radio, let them go, and written the ticket in absentia.

This story isnt about the ticket. It is about the conduct of the officer, who blatantly (and illegally) held a man and caused him to miss the death of a family member.

I hope this officer and his department end up paying a large settlement.

join