It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Impending Crisis? How Peak Water Would Reshape Civilization

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   

If you think peak oil is a big deal, then just wait until the peak water crisis is in full swing. Experts say that in many areas aquifers and rivers are starting to run dry as human consumption and other factors are straining one of our most essential resources: fresh water.

In highly populated developing nations, water shortages and poor access to clean water has been a common concern. Currently 1.1 billion people living without access to safe drinking water. Even so, the problem seems far away in the minds of many who are living in more privileged circumstances. However, that may be about to change.

Milton Clark, a senior health and science adviser for the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency says he worries that these water issues that are currently emerging will eventually develop into bitter conflicts in the not too distant future when these dry states become increasingly desperate.

"We will, in fact, get into major water wars," Clark said. "You will see water wars coming in every way, shape or form. In the U.S., there are some leading politicians who have said the Great Lakes do, in fact, belong (to everyone) and all water should be nationalized and this certainly is a concern."

Full Article Here

I think this is an ever increasing problem that very few people really think about ... water will cause many problems in the future if there isn't something done about the problems that are happening now ... what are your thoughts?

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Yeah, I know, and they say desal is just too expensive.

Really, it is not a shortage of water, but an excess of humans and their food animals.
TPTB should have curtailed the worlds population explosion a long time ago.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by OhZone

i agree the explosion in the population is really putting a strain on the water and yes, a real desalination technique is too expensive to do right now ... i wonder if people would start a new movement along the lines of the 'green' movement except for water ...

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
how can there be a water shortage? hasn't this planet been around for billions of years, and all the sudden we're out of water? that just doesn't make much sense to me. admittedly there are places in the world that have less water than others but that doens' t mean we're out of water.

if we were running out of fresh water then the plants and animals would all be dying.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Mozzy

i don't know if you realize it, but the human population has been increasing steadily since the beginning of the human race ... therefore the more people the more usage of water ... sooner or later it's going to catch up

edit to add: they said in the article that it's not in full swing as of yet ... they're just stating that there is the possibility of an impending crisis ...

[edit on 26-3-2009 by baseball101]

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Plants are dying, that is why people in some parts of the world are starving.
Lakes are drying up in many parts of the world and there are droughts.
People are literally eating themselves out of house and home.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   
what sort of proof do you have that the water is gone? i mean, where did it go? it can't go into outer space can it? it has to be here somewhere.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
This shouldn't be a problem if you know a thing or two about a thing or two. If you run a de-humidifier in your basement you know you can extract water from thin air. Who knows, maybe next they'll ban de-humidifiers?

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Also, for production of water on a massive scale, think desalination plants, deep local well drilling and the like.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   
This is why the elite are buying up land in Paraguay--largest fresh water aquifer in the world.

This could have been curtailed, if, during the boom of suburban sprawl over the last decade or two, housing and infrastructure builders/designers would have used permaculture practices on each and every individual house or suburban community they built. For instance, installing grey water recycling systems and rain water catchment systems on every single house. This can greatly reduce the amount of city water that each family uses and at the same time reduce strain on the infrastructure. Also, if there is some kind of problem with the infrastructure, millions of people can still survive on their own; they can stop using city water and not worry about contaminates. And if there is a problem with a single house you only have to fix one house, therefore, it is less likely to affect the entire infrastructure. Nevertheless, hind sight is 20-20.

Imagine if every home was directly involved in food production, rainwater harvesting and purification, and clean energy production. Would take a lot of strain off the system, wouldn't it? And it just might cultivate a better lifestyle too.

These are the kinds of projects that all this bailout/stimulus money should be going into, IMO.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
i'm sorry guys but this is really kinda stupid. if you want to run around in circles pretending we're out of water then i suggest you go put up some signs in your nearest forest politely asking the trees to drink less. i'm sure the plant life on this planet consumes 10x as much as humans ever will.

seriously, put up some evidence or just admit that you're fear mongering.

[edit on 26-3-2009 by Mozzy]

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by OhZone

Really, it is not a shortage of water, but an excess of humans and their food animals.

No, it's merely a lack of technology needed to support the growing needs of the current infrastructure. This Earth could rightly be called a aquatic world. Roughly 75% of it's surface is covered by water, and I'm not sure if that's even counting what is sequestered away in polar ice caps and the atmosphere. The problem isn't a lack of water, it's a lack of clean water.

Peak water is a fallacy, and cannot be compared to Peak Oil. Once oil runs out, it's gone. Period. Water, on the other hand, is plentiful - but needs to be cleaned. Any shift towards a "peak water" scenario would put heavy research pressure on purification technologies and the problem would solve itself. In industrialized nations, at least. It would take a few more years for that technology to be refined and come down in cost enough for it to be afforded by either poorer nations or given away as humanitarian aid.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Further, what's with the idiocy of blaming humanity for being human? Why do people hold up humanity and nature as contrasts, when they are (in fact) the same thing? So say we do run out of fresh water. We go to war over it. People die. Society declines. The end effect is, there is less of a demand on the water supply and the population reduces to a level that is more maintainable by the available resources.

This is how nature works! Animals don't seek equilibrium with their environment. They struggle for resources, and the only thing that checks their population is the availability of those resources. Same as us. It's the same as us. So why demonize or slander humanity for *gasp* simply being a part of the same system which created us in the first place.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Mozzy

I think you misunderstand the idea of peak water. Yes there is enough water on the planet. And the natural cycles of precipitaion will replenish the fresh water resources over time. But the total amount of fresh water on the planet right now can only support a defininte number of people for a definite length of time. There is a point where there will be too many people for the amount of fresh water that is available, and that water will be used faster than the natural cycles can replenish the supplies.

That is what peak water is.
It is not when we are out of water.
Unfortunately, it comes far before that.

Therefore, the OP is not stating that we are out of water. Just pointing out that there is a tipping point of no return. Not to mention that there are already 1.1 billion people that are without access to fresh water, the likes of which you have probably enjoyed your entire life. I know I was fortunate enough to be born somewhere that has the proper infrastructure to provide me fresh water everyday. Unfortunately, 1.1 billion people are not that lucky. Face it, fresh water is a basic necessity to survival, and for people around the Earth to not have access to it is morally inept on the part of the people who do have access to it. To deny that this problem is already far beyond the point of being a crisis is just plain ignorant.

Edit - spelling

[edit on 26-3-2009 by PH43DRUS]

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   
It's not that water is going anywhere, it's just that people are demanding money for it. It used to be that people in developing nations scooped it up from the river for free, or simply died of disease or malnutrition.

The people who make "spring water" must be satisfied.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   
The "Global Warming" theme is linked with this peak water problem. That's where I get suspicious...

new topics

top topics

join