It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marine Saves Unit After Bullet In Head

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Marine Saves Unit After Bullet In Head

www.independent.co.uk

By his bravery, 26-year-old Marine Alexander saved the life of the shot corporal and also earned vital minutes for the rest of the team from 42 Commando to gain cover. What made his actions even more remarkable was that just a few hours earlier he had been shot in the head, the bullet embedding itself in his helmet. Waving away offers to fall back, he had insisted on continuing with the others as they went through compounds clashing repeatedly with the insurgents.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I think this is pretty nice of this guy ... he could've just sat out and hung back, but no he saved his unit by what it says ... i can't believe some of the comments people left on the page about the story ... it's not his fault he's there killing people, he's just following orders ... what are your thoughts?

www.independent.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I have nothing but respect for the men and women in the armed forces.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   
How brave was he?
How brave is anyone?

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by baseball101
it's not his fault he's there killing people, he's just following orders ... what are your thoughts?

While I have the utmost respect for our boys overseas, and I believe this particular marine was considerably brave, I feel that this is a dangerous sentiment.

We all take responsibility for our own actions in the long haul. If you go overseas with the army and kill people, you are choosing to kill. You are the one who will have to ultimately answer to God/your conscience/whoever. It is up to all of us to stand up to unjust orders that we don't feel comfortable with. If someone tells you to do something, and you do it, you are just as, if not more complicit than whoever told you to do it.

I support our troops. I hope they can come home safely as soon as possible. I sincerely hope they never have to experience the horrors of combat, although I know that is inevitable. I truly hope they never have to take a life, as that is one of the hardest things imaginable. I also hope that, given an unconstitutional, impractical, or downright foolish order, our boys will have the courage to stand up to their superiors.

Our troops are misguided heroes, selflessly dedicating themselves to causes they believe, while being deceived by our government into committing heinous acts and sacrificing their innocence in the process.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
If I had just caught a bullet with my helmet, the last thing I'd be doing is anything brave like this.

So yeah, kudos to this guy. He's got more guts than I have.

I'd be sticking to cover as much as possible if I had just played catcher with a live round.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by drwizardphd

Originally posted by baseball101
it's not his fault he's there killing people, he's just following orders ... what are your thoughts?

While I have the utmost respect for our boys overseas, and I believe this particular marine was considerably brave, I feel that this is a dangerous sentiment.

We all take responsibility for our own actions in the long haul. If you go overseas with the army and kill people, you are choosing to kill. You are the one who will have to ultimately answer to God/your conscience/whoever. It is up to all of us to stand up to unjust orders that we don't feel comfortable with. If someone tells you to do something, and you do it, you are just as, if not more complicit than whoever told you to do it.

I support our troops. I hope they can come home safely as soon as possible. I sincerely hope they never have to experience the horrors of combat, although I know that is inevitable. I truly hope they never have to take a life, as that is one of the hardest things imaginable. I also hope that, given an unconstitutional, impractical, or downright foolish order, our boys will have the courage to stand up to their superiors.

Our troops are misguided heroes, selflessly dedicating themselves to causes they believe, while being deceived by our government into committing heinous acts and sacrificing their innocence in the process.

So what you are saying is that those who follow orders and kill in Iraq are must as guilty as the ones who gave the orders?

Yet you say you support the troops.

As a former active duty soldier and current reservist I have to tell you that I can do without that type of support.

Thanks anyways.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by jd140

So what you are saying is that those who follow orders and kill in Iraq are must as guilty as the ones who gave the orders?

As a former active duty soldier and current reservist I have to tell you that I can do without that type of support.

Thanks anyways.

Shades of Nuremberg anyone?
Second line.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by jd140

Thanks anyways.

Did you choose to join the army? Or were you drafted?

Did you go into the army knowing that you would be taken overseas to fight an illegal war?

Did you pull the trigger?

I'm sorry if you don't agree with me, and I'm sorry if I've offended you, but I do support you. I have no respect for our actions overseas, but I support the innocent souls who are dragged into them.

At the end of the day, our actions are our own.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by drwizardphd

Been to Iraq, pulled the trigger, don't really know if I killed any or not.

Joined before the war, but new of the possibility of going.

I don't regret a thing that I have done. Whether I have killed or not.

I don't need or want your support. If my buddies saw your post then they would say the same.

Thanks anyways.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Since the bullet didn't penetrate the head, shouldn't the title be "after bullet AT the head" ?

Still brave though but the title is misleading in my opinion.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
There's a big difference between being shot in the head and being shot in the bullet-proof helmet on your head. The marine is no doubt a brave soldier, but is he as brave as this guy?
www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by drwizardphd

so if you were in the military, you would go against orders and go to prison for it?

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   
This guy is awesome.

I saw a movie recently called Taking Chance with Kevin Bacon. Really good story about a soldier giving his life to save the men he served with.

I have never been in the military, but I have to say that regardless of who gives the orders, these men and women are truely principled and honorable people. Its unfortunate that the people in power use these true patriots as means towards their immoral gains.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   
You become closer than you will ever be to anyone else, in the military. This was a brave man and I would expect no less.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Politics aside, it's pretty remarkable what people will do to protect their fellow humans, even in the most hostile environments.

This guy deserves a lot of credit for his courage and dedication.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 03:44 AM
link   
reply to post by jd140

C'mon now... killing is killing.

It's not that they're guilty, it's that it's their weight to bear in the end. Unless they are war criminals, they're only guilty of waging war, which at this point in time is not internationally illegal. So they're guilty of nothing.

It's not about what's right and wrong really. It's about the realism that it's this mans job and we support them in doing their job, however we don't support the men telling them to go to foreign countries and wage wars for profit.

I'd much rather my tax money (and yours) be spent on helping the world rather than harming it.

I just wanted to clear up how I think a large majority of intelligent Americans feel about this whole fiasco.

Sorry our support is lost on you... but I still pay my taxes, so I think that's something.

new topics

top topics

join