It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Telecom Hub Maps

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

While I cant help you with your request for maps I know exactly why you want them, even if some of the others don't. It's kind of hard to plan a route away from danger if you don't know ware the danger is going to be.

No terrorist threat here guys she is just asking for information so she knows ware to steer clear of not a big mystery.

Telcom communication centers are a big target. Break down the communication first and take advantage of the chaos that follows. That should sound familiar to a lot of you.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Thank you. You just raised my opinion of the board angryamerican.

Plus I do like my political stuff. Knowing about important infrastructure and the vulnerabilities/conflicts over it is part of understanding international politics.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons
Thank you. You just raised my opinion of the board angryamerican.

Plus I do like my political stuff. Knowing about important infrastructure and the vulnerabilities/conflicts over it is part of understanding international politics.

Such a smart a**
A person after my own heart

Such maps would most likely be found on the federal communications website. But the government doesn't like to get off their a**es and update map info but every 20 years or so.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Woo Hoo! Since it has been 20 years since the last one, maybe that means I'll get an updated one sooner than later then.

Everyone -

You may all rest assured that with my posting history and a few other things, that there is almost no chance that I haven't already been assessed for risk by people much better at it than you. The worst thing that comes from me is that journalists regularly steal my stuff and so I generate an annoying amount of content in print that isn't attributed to me.
That old saw, "amateurs plagarize, professionals steal" and all that.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Anuubis

They don't have to update the maps. In europe the coms-hubs that were built during WW2 are mostly still in place. They don't use them nowadays, but the infrastructure is there. Most of the time the infrastructure is even upgraded and updated, but stays in the same physical position.

@Aeons: your old maps will give you a pretty good idea of the area a coms-hub can service. Areas that have come under development in the last 20 years will most likely have a hub near an existing trunk.
If there is a military installation near a recently developed area, than thats where it will be.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   
i never mistook you for a terrorist aeons, although the lady dost protest and all.

the wonderful thing about time stamps is that they allow you to prove allegations like that. plagiarism is plagiarism, especially where you have proof.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   
ah, but I don't care. I am far more interested in seeing some ideas put out into the world for people to see and stimulate their thought than I am in seeing my name after it. I am more interested in the outcome than the infamy.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dorfl
reply to post by Anuubis

They don't have to update the maps. In europe the coms-hubs that were built during WW2 are mostly still in place. They don't use them nowadays, but the infrastructure is there. Most of the time the infrastructure is even upgraded and updated, but stays in the same physical position.

@Aeons: your old maps will give you a pretty good idea of the area a coms-hub can service. Areas that have come under development in the last 20 years will most likely have a hub near an existing trunk.
If there is a military installation near a recently developed area, than thats where it will be.

Hm. That is probably true. But I am pretty sure that where I live is not exactly in the norm for any of that. The explosive growth, and the movement of military facilities away but the vast increase in population and economic centralization and the distances involved makes this area unusual.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

well, okay, it's your pay check my dear.
personally. i'ld hate to watch someone else make a bundle from stealing my hard work, but you do what you think is right.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by pieman
reply to post by Aeons

well, okay, it's your pay check my dear.
personally. i'ld hate to watch someone else make a bundle from stealing my hard work, but you do what you think is right.

Not too worry. I make a pretty decent paycheque.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

It's because we are no risk assessment professionals that we are careful. You might have noticed some people on the board who have in their homes more guns n ammo than most of the smaller western countries. And they show some subtle signs of being just a tiny bit trigger-happy.
It just wouldn't have felt right if a black-out that was mistaken for SitX, would unleash the soccer mom of the apocalypse on some unsuspecting telecom employee.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Hm. That is probably true. But I am pretty sure that where I live is not exactly in the norm for any of that. The explosive growth, and the movement of military facilities away but the vast increase in population and economic centralization and the distances involved makes this area unusual.

If they are moving military installations, you can bet on the coms-hub remaining behind. Most hubs are underground, so development of old army bases in no problem. You can work around (or over) them.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   
While I admit to being voted most likely to lead the revolution, you may rest assured that I like cell service, restaurant take out, good schools, health care, and human rights. And democracy. I really like democracy. All things that I have now. Only if the telecom employee was threatening that would they have to worry.

Soccer-Mom-Of-the-Apocalypse may be my next moniker though, because that is AWESOME.

[edit on 2009/3/27 by Aeons]

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dorfl

If they are moving military installations, you can bet on the coms-hub remaining behind. Most hubs are underground, so development of old army bases in no problem. You can work around (or over) them.

Cool. That does give me a place to start from along with the old map.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Just for the now curious. here is what I have been looking at.

atlas.nrcan.gc.ca...

www.ic.gc.ca...

www.satsig.net...

www.atlantic-cable.com... (just interesting)

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

I think a lot of us quite like Democracy. If you find a country that still uses it as a form of government let us know.

It'll keep me going until I find a benevolent dictator.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I prefer a Republic, and am also interested in seeing a modern up to date and current map showing improvements upon the continental US multi band communications networks.

These locations for some would be avoided, how ever for the braver sort who have less to risk or lose (family & younger children for example), might be looking to preserve, repair or exploit said resources.

Reasons for having such information can be used for good or bad, it just depends on how that is used. None the less, in a survival situation the more one knows about their surroundings and materials available the better off they will be.

Ham and CB radios will be best option if power is available, given the right circumstances they can be used to communicate a long range especially with atmospheric skip.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Dorfl

With all the growth we've had in the U.S. they will have added more. Those maps will help but not be complete.

Advisor-I like your avatar.

[edit on 27-3-2009 by Anuubis]

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Citizen smith is correct regarding phone boxes in the UK, they still would be operational in the event of a national emergency even if other parts of the PSTN had been barred/restricted.

This is part of the Government Telephone Preference System -
en.wikipedia.org...

As for the OP I presume what your asking for is the maps/locations of your local telephone exchanges. You will probably find this quite difficult as the telephone companies are not keen on the locations of their exchanges becoming public knowledge.

During the 70's all BT telephone exchange were assigned bomb-threat procedures as they were considered to be a viable target of the IRA.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about the locations/maps. I really cannot see targeted attacks against telephone exchanges in the future, who doesn't carry a mobile phone these days?

Blowing up a telephone exchange wouldn't achieve much, people would just use their mobile phones.

And to the poster who said exchanges are being phased out due to new technology well your nearly right; the equipment inside the exchanges is being changed/upgraded to new technology but the actual exchanges themselves aren't going any where.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   
If you think that attacks on communications won't be important, how do you explain the fact that hubs do have bomb procedures, that militaries develop weapons to fry communications, and that all nations have a high priority on beefing up the robustnes of their communications? Why do you think that the Internet exists? What do you think ARPAnet was created for?

Mobiles are not useful in mass emergencies even without directed attacks. If the situation was a natural disaster, they still aren't useful as the system become overloaded and piggy backs on ground bound systems. AND if it is a serious extra-planetary event mobiles won't be worth the circuit board in them as their satelittle feeds wink out.

All in all, if people are concerned about getting AWAY from nuclear facilities when those are not that common you should be very concerned about staying away from comm-hubs. Not only will they be targets, not only will they be immediately reinforced with deadly force, but they are likely to be on your bug out routes. Running away from one problem, and straight into another will not help you.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join