It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Telecom Hub Maps

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Link to this forum - telecommunication and radio hubs on the continent are targets. Got maps? The ones I can find for my country are more than 20 years old.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Okay, looks like I'll have to be "that guy".

Please explain what you are talking about. Do you mean telephone exchanges? Most of those are being phased out due to modern tech.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   
As I understand it, all public phoneboxes in the UK are on a separate exchange loop as they are designated as 'Class I communications' in the event of a national emergency, so will be kept open when all mobile and other landlines will be shut down.

I wonder if they have been kept as analogue too, as digital systems are far more suceptible to EMP effects

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nirgal
Okay, looks like I'll have to be "that guy".

Please explain what you are talking about. Do you mean telephone exchanges? Most of those are being phased out due to modern tech.

analog, digital and fibre optic hubs.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

A good analogy to how the telecoms system is set up, is that the phone exchange is just the same as a local tinternet server...if you call a friend who is on the next street down, the call is routed through the local exchange only, but to call someone at the other end of the country, the call goes from local exchange/server to the local exchcnage at the other end via national trunk line...those national hubs would be the most vulnrable as it could be seen to be a part of the national command&control infrastructure, therefore legitimate military target

I've no idea how you could get a hold of a map showing the radius of a local exchange though...I'd have thought such information requests would be flagged by the authorities

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I've seen maps of them before. However, the maps are 20 years old now. Where I live, 20 years is a HUGE deal for that sort of growth.

I imagine it would be flagged. If they haven't flagged me, checked me out, and determined that I'm an annoying but harmless soccer mom yet then they haven't been doing their job.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
ehhhh, why did you want to know again?
communication for survivalists usually consists of shortwave radio and morse code, doesn't it? are you aiming to take out communications or what?

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I am aiming to be up to date on which areas are prime targets.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

physical attacks? seems like the telecoms systems wouldn't be all that vulnerable to physical attack what with wireless, mobile and satellite based tech. i would imagine that computer based attack would be the big danger for telecoms these days.

so there's a danger of getting cut off everywhere but not a physical danger anywhere really, if you follow me.

look for the big phone towers maybe.

[edit on 27/3/09 by pieman]

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   
A secondary consideration is that I have put a few posts up onto this board that give me a good idea just how much the people posting are realistic, or just junk-info fed. If their "indepth" abilties are limited to crazy-websites google-fu and the writing of smart but crazy people who are easy to off track.

Is this site good for some real information, or is only good to find out where the paranoid and easily side tracked non-conformist's head is?

The answer is pretty apparent.

[edit on 2009/3/27 by Aeons]

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by pieman
reply to post by Aeons

physical attacks? seems like the telecoms systems wouldn't be all that vulnerable to physical attack what with wireless, mobile and satellite based tech. i would imagine that computer based attack would be the big danger for telecoms these days.

so there's a danger of getting cut off everywhere but not a physical danger anywhere really, if you follow me.

look for the big phone towers maybe.

[edit on 27/3/09 by pieman]

Cell service means nothing. Sat systems are unreliable and require back up and physical systems on which to piggy back. Physical wire systems are the real mccoy. Radio systems robustness was already addressed a long time ago. Any attack that was targetting communication systems isn't a small time operation.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons
Is this site good for some real information, or is only good to find out where the paranoid and easily side tracked non-conformist's head is?

The answer is pretty apparent.

meh, any person who has real info isn't likely to post it based on an OP that doesn't even contain a coherent sentence or idea.

maybe try putting in some effort into you request.

otherwise, ATS is just entertainment, i'm afraid there's just no shortcuts to real information, it always requires hard work.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Right, I've had a brief on-line shufty for U.K. and the best site for info so far is this one.

Samknows.com is dedicated to tracking the roll out and progress of broadband across the UK. We provide detailed information on the coverage of nearly every broadband network operator in the country.

This listings appear to be pretty comprehensive but to be honest I don't really know what I'm looking at. It was nice to see my home town's exchange is still there and has joined the 21st century.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
You participate in a forum about survival and semi-militaristic ideas and you don't understand a request for communications maps?

Exactly my point I guess.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

nope, i honestly don't, especially not from a self confessed soccer mom.

what do you expect to do with a telecoms map if the SHTF, find a location where you are able to call out for pizza?

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   

You participate in a forum about survival and semi-militaristic ideas and you don't understand a request for communications maps?

What use will it be after a disaster when the first thing normally to fail,/ be turned off by the govt/ be monitored by the govt etc is the telecoms systems.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   

I am aiming to be up to date on which areas are prime targets.

Prime target as in 'the first thing i'm going to knock out with my sons soccer team' or as in 'the place i'm going to be very far away from' when TSHTF?

Any attack that was targetting communication systems isn't a small time operation.

How big is this 'soccer team'? Are we talking about the North-Korean National team with it's trusted 'army' of fans?

There are a lot of (ex-)servicemen on this forum. And the ones that have seen action, don't want to see it again. The trick to survival is the not dying part. And going near a coms-hub in a martial-law situation is a sure way of getting killed.

Oh and you never mentionend where you live. If you need a map, it might be a good idea to share that piece of info.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   
As in, I work right next to one that they were going to move supposed and I am sure they didn't. It was at one point the main hub for this entire section of the continent - including down into the US.

My "soccer team" consists currently of 3 children under 8. And a Kia to move them around in. Maybe the Kia is incriminating.

Yes, the maps have been around. I simply cannot find the most recent versions and hoped that someone had a clue where to look.

Under the circumstances, perhaps I'll don a black mask and sneak into the local bureaucracy and pull up their mapping apps at night.
Right after the 2 year old goes to sleep.

I'd be happy with worldwide maps. However, I am personally interested in North America and more specfically Canada and the Northern/Western US. The worldwide maps would be interesting from a political observer point of view.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Northern Raider

What use will it be after a disaster when the first thing normally to fail,/ be turned off by the govt/ be monitored by the govt etc is the telecoms systems.

Because it is the one place you want to know not to move TOWARDS. Not everywhere has a nuclear reactor, but people are very concerned about staying away. However, many places have important communication hubs. Any serious threat will target a communications hub. This is why militaries have developed so many interesting ways of melting your electronics en mass.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I love that you guys are so concerned about my logical curiosity.

You realize that someone who was a real concern wouldn't be the person with a normal story, and answers honestly? You realize they would already have worked themselves into being a "highly regarded" person on the board? Right?

So much paranoia, and so little logic.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join