It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOP Budget Proposal: Massive Tax Cut For Wealthy

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   

GOP Budget Proposal: Massive Tax Cut For Wealthy

www.huffingtonpost.com

House Republican leaders called a press conference Thursday to unveil their "alternative budget." While it was thin on specifics, it does include one major policy proposal: a huge tax cut for the wealthy.

Under the Republican plan, the top marginal tax rate would be slashed from 35 to 25 percent, facilitating a dramatic transfer of wealth up the economic scale. Anyone making more than a $100,000 would pay the top rate; those under would pay 10 percent.

"Two nights ago, the president said, 'We haven't seen a budget yet out of Republicans.' Well, it's just not true, because here it is, Mr. President," said House Minority Leader John Boehner (R-Ohio), waving a blue document in the air.

"Today we're introducing a detailed road-to-recovery plan," he told the reporters. Other than the tax proposal, however, the plan was absent any details.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Other than the tax proposal, however, the plan was absent any details.

More proof if any further was needed that the GOP has become totally clueless.

When are they going to realize that people just don't buy it anymore? Its the average Joe... the you and me that is hurting and needs tax relief... for someone for whom it would actually mean something as opposed to giving it to someone who probably wouldn't notice one way or the other... and still they expect us to buy the old, tired lie called tricked down economics.

You can only slash income i.e. taxes so far before the system begins to break down...

... Where the hell do these fools think the money for their earmarks and their favorite hobby, war comes from?

The Easter bunny?

www.huffingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 26-3-2009 by grover]

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I am shocked!

not really

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
The same old same old from the same old party that ran out of ideas decades ago.

Nah I'm not shocked either.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Wow, brilliant!

More tax cuts for the rich!

Republicans have obviously learned nothing, they cling to the same tired philosophy that dragged our country into this hole in the first place. I'm just glad there's no chance in hell it will pass, as they don't control squat right now.

Maybe we can reintroduce indentured slavery, so that all the newly foreclosed homeless can find work maintaining the hundred-acre estates and mansions of the elite, as well. Its a win-win!

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by drwizardphd

Yeah its their answer for everything:

Mush loosebowels needs some more oxicontin... give him a tax cut.
ann coulter needs to finish her sex change... give it a tax cut.
glenn beck needs a brain... give him a tax cut.

The struggling middle classes and us working class stiffs... screw em... give their overpaid bosses a tax cut instead.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
the GOP has become totally clueless.

After the antics of Obama and his administration for the past two months, can you say that THEY have a clue? No. None of the politicians do.

Originally posted by drwizardphd
More tax cuts for the rich!

If there are tax cuts then they should be made proportionately. If 'rich' people pay 35% in taxes and 'poor' people pay 20%, then the bigger percentage of the tax cut should go to the one paying the most.

Actually, a flat tax where everyone pays the same percentage across the board is the only fair tax.

But don't worry, there will be no tax cuts. Everything Obama is doing is ensuring that there will have to be tax increases. Most likely snuck in. Raise 'sin' taxes. Raise taxes by cancelling deductions. That sort of thing. He HAS to raise taxes to pay for his drunken spending spree.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
If there are tax cuts then they should be made proportionately. If 'rich' people pay 35% in taxes and 'poor' people pay 20%, then the bigger percentage of the tax cut should go to the one paying the most.

That argument doesn't wash... no matter how you cut it taxes effect those making the least the most.

A person making $12,000 a year feels it far more than someone making $12,000,000.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   

A person making $12,000 a year feels it far more than someone making $12,000,000.

WHO cares... the person making $12,000 is lazy and should get a couple more jobs.
The person making 12,000,000 is working hard and should pay no taxes and they feel it far more because their money is worth more!

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
This is how "they" get us everytime...

Taxes levied through the IRS is illegal to begin with...

As is the Fed...

...But by squabbling amongst ourselfs about such things that shouldn't exsist in the first place...the transfer still continues unabated...

[edit on 3/26/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I think this was their way of making a point.

The President said that he is going forword with his budget because there isn't any other plan on the table.

The Republicans just threw this together and said here is another plan, now don't rush to sign your plan.

Now the President and his team have to look at this plan and find the pros and cons of it.

Basically buying them more time to come up with a better plan.

Its actually really smart.

Now instead of going with a bad plan because it is the only one. They have to slow down giving another person more time to come up with a better plan.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Wow more, those politicians over there are evil, but don't pay attention to what we are doing, we are only putting your grand and great grand children in 10's of thousands of dollars of debt.

I guess you missed the fact that everybody under the 100,000 greenback mark is getting a pretty big tax cut too.

It doesn't really matter what budget proposal they make, it isn't going to get anywhere out of committee any how.

All this political squandering about how this side is evil, no but this side is more evil, is pointless and stupid.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   

taxes effect those making the least the most.

What should the poor people care how much a rich person pays in taxes? If the amount the poor person pays doesn't go up .. then it shouldn't matter to them what someone else pays.

that's not the fault of the person making $12,000,000.

Don't penalize the wealthy simply because they are wealthy.
it's not a dirty word or a sin to make money.
Don't reward the poor simply because they are poor either.

A flat tax is the only fair tax.
Everyone pays the same percentage.
No one is rewarded or penalized for how much they make.

It doesn't matter how much someone 'feels' it.
It matters what is just.
Stealing from the rich simply because they are rich is not just.
(and no ... I'm not rich)

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by grover

and still they expect us to buy the old, tired lie called tricked down economics.

First of all Grover, do you hate people who make more money than you?

How much do u make? I want to know if I should hate you if you make more than I..or maybe you can hate me if I make more than you and you can take my money.

Ah...the trickle down argument. Tell me...what is the difference from the Federal government...with all of OUR money...giving it all away? Is that not "trickle down?" Oh i see...it's "concentrated" trickle down right?

If not..what the hell is it? It's amazing that people don't see the similarities with government and business...and they are becoming one entity. Government is really the biggest business of all...why don't you criticize what they are making. Why don't you criticize how rich a large portion of them are?

Once again...why aren't you complaining about the federal reserve where all of our problems originate?

Or do you support inflation..which is essentially a tax on the public...to wage war and social programs?

And for the record..

Boehner is a dumbass. Just about everyone in Congress is.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Hastobemoretolife

You notice this as well???

A giant distraction...

Set a house on fire across the street from a bank...

...the masses run to watch the destruction of the fire...

...meanwhile...the bank is being emptied by means of the backdoor...

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by mental modulator

That's a pissy attitude... I know plenty of places in this country where $12,000 is the norm...

There are places south of here with double digit unemployment that have been hit hard by the companies shipping their jobs overseas and there are people there who would be happy with $12,000... at least its something.

besides that I was using it as an example.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Read your history... every major revolution over the past 200 years... the French... the Russian and the Chinese and you will find the one thing they all have in common is that the tax burden fell heaviest on those who could least afford it while the most wealthy paid nothing at all.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Actually, a flat tax where everyone pays the same percentage across the board is the only fair tax.

If you truly believe this, than you have either never taken an economics class, or you failed to pay attention in it.

If we were to implement a flat tax, one of two things would happen:

1. We would balance the taxes to support the lower classes, and our economy would fall apart due to lost tax income from corporations.

2. We would balance the taxes to support the economy, and the entire lower class would fall into destitution as they could no longer afford basic necessities. Also, the middle classes would feel increasing pressure from the increased taxes, and cut back on consumption, destroying the economy.

link   
reply to post by grover

Did you miss this part, grover:

Under the Republican plan, the top marginal tax rate would be slashed from 35 to 25 percent, facilitating a dramatic transfer of wealth up the economic scale. Anyone making more than a $100,000 would pay the top rate; those under would pay 10 percent.

In other words, everybody will be getting a tax break.

Look at the tax brackets for a single person, you will see I am right.

www.fairmark.com...

link   
I can't imagine how the GOP candidates became so brainwashed to uphold and propagate the 'supply-side' or 'trickle-down' theory of economics (also known as Reaganomics or "voodoo economics").

No matter how outrageously out of touch with reality it seems, they always revert back to the notion that making the rich richer somehow helps the rest of the population. It's almost comically tragic.

Perhaps it is because they, themselves, are 'rich'.

Yeah, that's probably it.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join