It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you hate about America?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2004 @ 07:21 PM
link   
KEEP ON TOPIC!!!

I WANT TO SEE NO MORE INSULTS FROM ANYONE..

posted on Apr, 23 2004 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Muaddib,

By no means did I attempt to infer that anyone other than european americans could make it to the top. What I wazs trying to say that the american dream is based upon greed. The American Dream basically is greed. That's all there is to it. I also tried to say that although everyone wishes that all men created equal, they aren't. For every person you see "make it to the top" there are probably 1,000,000 who don't. The old addage: "it's not what you know, but who you know" comes to mind. I've seen people that I know become CEO's of billion dollar corporations seemingly overnight, with no affiliation with the corporation pass many in the corporate heirarchy of that firm because they know the chairman of the board of directors.

Please tell me that you don't believe you can be successful at anything if you put your mind to it. It's a crock.

posted on Apr, 23 2004 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Amuk...I said I didn't want to go in circles..so kindly..shutup.

Oh and yes there was many tribes before christianity,
infact christianity wiped out the ancient egyptian race.

Kinda same thing what happened to America a long time ago. Christianity certainly did some changing to the world.

Shame no one with a heart could get into leadership, as looking at Bush, only makes me think about other countries arming themselfs....because his actions look bad to the world, and they feel they need to protect themselfs. Wasn't that long ago Pakistan was testing, Korea now constructing....and who knows who else as Israel was fully armed and no one knew at the time.

America's own ego could easily end everyones life by setting off global thermonuclear war. Though proberly everyone will die and only Bush survives in his bunker....reckon he would consider that a victory?

Oh and kindly inform Amuk that he has never done a thing to help the world, and that he lives off the comfort of other peoples doings, and that he is really not anything special. And to try and add something to his pointless post....like a topic.

Have a good one all!

[Edited on 23-4-2004 by AgentMadcap]

posted on Apr, 23 2004 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by AgentMadcap
...because his actions look bad to the world, and they feel they need to protect themselfs. Wasn't that long ago Pakistan was testing, Korea now constructing....and who knows who else as Israel was fully armed and no one knew at the time.

I am no fan of Bush, but the arms race started long before Bush ever got into office. Everyone has been scambling to get nukes since 1945. Everyone.

The irony is that the only country in the world that has completely banned nukes is Japan.

I am not saying it is right, but that is the reality of the situation. That being said, I would feel more comfortable with someone other than Bush in control of our nukes.....

posted on Apr, 23 2004 @ 07:58 PM
link   

What I wazs trying to say that the american dream is based upon greed

You are wrong, the American dream is based on ambition, not greed. If you don't have any ambitions you will never accomplish your dreams. "Every person in the world that becomes what they want to be is ambitious."

To be ambitious you don't have to be greedy, but it is true that some ambitious people do become greedy.

posted on Apr, 23 2004 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Facefirst, yes very true, but bushes actions hasn't helped global tensions, made them a lot worse. Basically countries don't trust the USA.

Yes I agree we are in a no turning back situation regarding nuclear arms, but like you say we have survived this far. Just don't see the USA doing anything really positive about it, except create yet more enemies.

Oh and I dont think Bush really has control of nukes...I dont think the shadow would allow a moron with them, plus its people like the scientists that have the real control. I am sure the USA has somekind of protection from themselfs..like from a meglamanic president....least, I bloody hope so!

posted on Apr, 23 2004 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by asala
KEEP ON TOPIC!!!

I WANT TO SEE NO MORE INSULTS FROM ANYONE..

Same here I am monitoring this thread closely.

posted on Apr, 23 2004 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib
To be ambitious you don't have to be greedy, but it is true that some ambitious people do become greedy.

You obviously don't know what the "American Dream" is. Let me reitterate. It's to live in a Big house with a nice car and have everyone know and like you. That's the "American Dream." Since when did ambition have to do with living in a big house and driving a nice car? I'll tell you what it has to do with it. If your ambition is to live in a big house and drive a nice car you're greedy. You don't need these things.

[Edited on 4-23-2004 by insite]

posted on Apr, 23 2004 @ 08:27 PM
link   

I am sure the USA has somekind of protection from themselfs..like from a meglamanic president....least, I bloody hope so!

Let's hope so. There were many jokes and satirical cartoons in the 80's with punchlines of a forgetful Reagan mistakenly pressing "the button." (oh, is this the garage door opener or the ICBM launch code transmitter?) An exageration, but human error and nukes is very real.

I am voting Kerry this year.

But regardless of who is in power, I love my country.

posted on Apr, 23 2004 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by insite

Originally posted by Muaddib

. You don't need these things.

You don't need a computer either.
Each to their own.

posted on Apr, 23 2004 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Owning a computer has nothing to do with the "American Dream."

posted on Apr, 23 2004 @ 08:33 PM
link   
The American dream is to prosper. Everyone has their own version of what exactly prospering is. For some, it is the money, five cars and the huge houses. For others, just making enough to get by and be content.

There is no true definition of the American Dream. It is whatever you want it to be.

[Edited on 23-4-2004 by Facefirst]

posted on Apr, 23 2004 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Facefirst

It's your home, I just hope one day it can stretch a bit further......

I love my world.

posted on Apr, 23 2004 @ 08:35 PM
link   

I love my world.

Me too!

posted on Apr, 23 2004 @ 08:36 PM
link   

The American dream is to prosper. Everyone has their own version of what exactly prospering is. For some, it is the money, five cars and the huge houses. For others, just making enough to get by and be content.

There is no true definition of the American Dream. It is whatever you want it to be.

[Edited on 23-4-2004 by Facefirst]

I have asked many Americans i have met and they say the same thing"The American Dream is whatever you want it to be" thats why the dream part is there.

posted on Apr, 23 2004 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Yes there is. If you have a dream that differs from "I want a big house, 2 nice cars and respect and admiration of everyone," then it is just a dream, not the "American Dream."

posted on Apr, 23 2004 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by drunk
I have asked many Americans i have met and they say the same thing"The American Dream is whatever you want it to be" thats why the dream part is there.

Yeah, well this can be explained by the fact that most Americans either do not want to admit what they truly want for fear of being labelled, or are just too lazy to formulate a decent answer.

posted on Apr, 23 2004 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Insite, as an American, you have very little understanding of what the Amaerican dream really is.

Its what drove millions to pour shores for 200 plus years, and continues to drive them.

Self sufficency. The ability not only to be self govorning and self sufficent unto ones self, but to create societies within our borders that are self sustainign without having to be mothered by the govornment.

The pursuit of a house, car, and children has nothing to do with greed. It has to do with self empowerment. Thats the american dream.

If you own your own land and home, that is almost like your little country. You no longer are enslaved to a alndlord or leasing it from some faceless govornment disguised as "the public" or "the people". The American dream is to be free of other peoples opinions, interference, or forced charity. Its the power to chose ones own path.

You confuse the American dream with the NWO vision of consumerist slaves who buy buy buy but are never satiated. This was something not born in America or any country, it was something born of an unholy plan and alliance of pure evil wrought not by gods, and devils, but very wicked men.

Consumerism and what u think the American dream is, soory, it aint limited here. Ive been around the world a few times, and came to the conclusion shallow materialism exists everywhere, whether its your stocks and toys you mull over, or the herd of goats you flaunt to your less fortunate tribal members.

posted on Apr, 23 2004 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by insite
Yes there is. If you have a dream that differs from "I want a big house, 2 nice cars and respect and admiration of everyone," then it is just a dream, not the "American Dream."

I disagree. That is too broad a generalization. Everyone has the same needs, but different wants.

Who wants everyone's respect and admiration along with all the material things? That is the Hollywood/MTV version of the dream. People choose if they want to buy into that. Most people's admiration and respect is not worth having.

The American Dream that drew so many people from all corner's of the globe was: to come here, work hard and have their children have a better opportunity than they did.

You can call me naive, but my family is a product of that dream.

posted on Apr, 23 2004 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Okay okay. You got me skadi.

Facefirst, Muaddib, you taking notes on how to shut someone down?

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join