It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Deploys Warships as North Korea Prepares to Launch Missile

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Ok, N. Korea chalenges the world with this "satelite launch".
I think if they succeed on the launch, Japan will most likely shoot it down.

Would N. Korea retaliate?

On the event of a Korean conflict developing, how would the world's superpowers react? USA helping South Korea? Probably. What about China?

There's all this people talking about WWIII. Personally I don't believe that this would escalate into it, but it could heaten things up depending on China's stance about this.

What do you guys think would be China's position and reaction in case such a conflict happens?

PS.: Yeah, my english is not the best of my skills.

Chears.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Parts of Asia are very concerned. South Korea, Japan. They don't like this at all.

I guess because they can be "held hostage" very soon by N. Korea
N. Korea can use the fact that they can launch a nuke at S. Korea, Japan and (Taiwan?) to become the bully of that part of the world.

When people say that they "hate" the US for taking such a "threatening posture" with N. Korea I get confused because all I ever see is N. Korea threatening everyone else. You mean to say you don't hate N. Korea for oppressing their people? Keeping them in the stone age and starving?
They're the good guys???

Let alone the fact that their people are extremely oppressed, starving, being jailed and murdered. It's not propaganda, it's really happening.

It's time for them to join the 21st century and free their people, become a productive part of the world.

What the hell do they think they're going to accomplish? I suspect they're doing China's (or Russia's) dirty work (behind the scenes of course.)

[edit on 26-3-2009 by Electro38]

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
When a rogue country plans to launch an ICBM that can reach another country, the threatened country/ies has/have the obligation to make some kind of stand, to demonstrate that they can protect it's people and land.

If the US did not do anything, what should we the people of the USA think? What would S. Korea, Japan and Taiwan think?

It's a threat, whether the fear is founded or not doesn't matter. It's a test being made by N. Korea.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by MorfeuZ

I think that if the US or Japan intercepted (shot down) their ICBM then China would do nothing.

They know it's a threatening thing for N. Korea to do and they would expect the US to intercept it.

Here we have the example of a threat, an ICBM launch from a "rogue" country. Here is a chance for the US to show it can protect itself and parts of Asia from such a threat, with its missile defense technology.

Maybe China or Russia want to see what the US can do to protect itself, with the missile defense shield system.

(Your English is very good, don't worry.)

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Electro38
reply to post by MorfeuZ

I think that if the US or Japan intercepted (shot down) their ICBM then China would do nothing.

They know it's a threatening thing to do and they would expect the US to intercept it.

Here we have the example of a threat of an ICBM launch from a "rogue" country. Here is a chance for the US to show it can protect itself and parts of Asia from such a threat, with its missile defense technology.

(Your English is very good, don't worry.)

Yeah..

They are spending billions a year on Missile Defense..
Use it.

[[Even though whatever missile brings it down, will be shot down from a Warship
]]

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by xbranscombex

Yes, this is what I'm a little confused about. Is the US using the same "missile defense" technology on a ship to shoot the ICBM down with?

Or does the boat use some other kind of existing (old) technology to shoot down the ICBM?

It would be a good time to show the world the US can indeed shoot down an ICBM.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Electro38
You mean to say you don't hate N. Korea for oppressing their people? Keeping them in the stone age and starving?
They're the good guys???

Let alone the fact that their people are extremely oppressed, starving, being jailed and murdered. It's not propaganda, it's really happening.

It's time for them to join the 21st century and free their people, become a productive part of the world.

Ah, just the kind of opportunity that the free-markets are craving...a nation held by dictatorship, grossly underinvested in, crying out for national infrastructure plans, starving citizens....all that s needed is the toppling of the regime and flogging of billions of worthless paper bonds in return for re-construction rights, free-trade-manufacturing-zones, a million and one kinds of Cheetos, and free and fair elections (as long as its the failing corporates that win all the juicy government contracts)

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Electro38

I fully agree with you that China would do nothing in regards to the missle being shot down, however if N. Korea keeps its word and attacks S. Korea and allied nations, it could mean more american military personal and equipment being shipped to aid S. Korea.
And AFAIK the last thing China wants is a unified Korea under dominance of US.

This scenario is the one that scares me, cause although China may want do denuclearise N. Korea, they are still "comrades".

IMO this scenario would be very dangerous. I hope i'm just being paranoid.

[edit on 26-3-2009 by MorfeuZ]

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   

I kinda covered that in my post at the bottom of the last page:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

They would be using Aegis equiped ships to shoot it down using SM-3 missiles, at least thats the most likely option they'd use...

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Edit: Read the article.

2nd line

[edit on 27-3-2009 by rapinbatsisaltherage]

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by citizen smith

I don't think that the US would try to do a regime change thing there, the US could not do anything there in N. Korea except to shoot down a missile. That's all that the US can do.

The only way that N. Korea will join the 21st century is if it was beckoned by China and Russia, or if it happened from within the N. Korea regime itself.

The US cannot do it, we can only shoot down it's missiles.

We would shoot down a missile, China would tell N. Korea to settle down and then the world would know the US can indeed shoot down a missile.

That's about it. N. Korea might start building their nuke facilities again, and baloney would just keep going.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vector J

I kinda covered that in my post at the bottom of the last page:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

They would be using Aegis equiped ships to shoot it down using SM-3 missiles, at least thats the most likely option they'd use...

I thought they were having success with those recently. No?

Why would Russia be so upset with those if most of them were failures?

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   

I take back what I said in my first post, got my facts mixed up. Last time they tested a TaepoDong 2, which it's believed this basically is, it reportedly failed about 40 seconds into it's flight. Apologies for stating otherwise.

However my information on the Aegis ships stands...

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Vector J

Ok. I never heard of the boat missiles, except when they shot down a satellite that was re-entering the atmosphere (remember that?), and I never really knew how much success they've had.

But I guess they keep on working in these things and improving them. Maybe the US can keep N. Korea from shooting at Japan, S. Korea or Taiwan. (Maybe).

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

Hmm , some heavy Tom Clancy material here.

The US are manipulating the North Korean chiefs of staff so they can legitimize Japan rejecting its constitution so it can have an army again. 5 years from here , they will be an effective 1st line against the inevitable Chinese invasion of eastern Asia...

pretty far fetched, I know, but the truth is out there.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by rapinbatsisaltherage

I dont think anyone knows..do we? but it has the capacity to reach Alaska supposedly...so basically anywhere in the world.As for where it will land(assuming its a missile) i dont know...

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Do not underestimate the value of a global war in a time of global economic decline. War can itself stimulate the economy.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Good point, ammo has to be made somewhere, right?

Line 2

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   
This is probably the single most dangerous situation we've seen in this world since the Cuban Missle Crisis. There is an extrmeley high chance this could trigger WWIII.

Also, don't let the news fool you... as one of the posters on this topic said "they like to sugar coat everything". So when they bring their 'experts' on, don't turn off the logic center in your brain. Think, is what this expert saying make any sense whatsoever? You might be surprised to realize, most of the time these experts are complete imbeciles.

[edit on 26-3-2009 by sliceNodice]

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Looks like a nice sitdown is scheduled tomorrow in DC.

US to meet with Seoul, Tokyo as NKorea tension flares

Senior US, Japanese and South Korean negotiators will meet in Washington on Friday to discuss rising tensions with North Korea as it prepares to launch a rocket in defiance of international warnings.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join