It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conservative Senator Says Obama's Plan to Expand AmeriCorps Is Unwarranted Federal Intrusion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Conservative Senator Says Obama's Plan to Expand AmeriCorps Is Unwarranted Federal Intrusion

www.cnsnews.com

- The U.S. Senate is poised to approve a dramatic expansion of the AmeriCorps national community service program. Conservatives who oppose the measure say it is an attempt to greatly expand government’s role in providing community services by replacing charitable volunteers with paid government workers.

Senators voted 74-14 Monday to take up the Serve America Act, legislation that would more than triple the size of the AmeriCorps program over the next eight years, expanding its current 75,000 positions to 250,000.

Last week, a similar bill that would add 175,000 participants to the program passed in the House by a vote of 321-105.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Finally, this story is getting a little press time. Every little bit counts. It is refreshing to see that there some officials fighting this bill on the hill.

Arguments both pro and con have been stated over the past couple of days in several threads regarding H.R. 1388 (The GIVE Act). This bill is going to infringe in areas that Americans never thought possible.

This massive expansion of the Govt. into areas best kept by local branches of charities and volunteer civic organizations is destined for disaster.

Sen. De Mint is quoted as saying "the proposed expansion of AmeriCorps would make its parent, the Corporation for National and Community Service, the 14th-largest company in the world, in terms of number of employees."

This will only end up as one giant cluster *snip* of bureaucratic red tape once the greedy misers of DC get their hands on it. All under the guise of good intentions. Remember that the "Path to Hell is paved with good intentions".

The program is estimated to cost nearly $6 billion over the next five years. Where will that money come from?

Other threads:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.cnsnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 26-3-2009 by jibeho]

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I just put a question like this earlier, i was wondering how much extra money he will give for gang stalking.

Those people must be real scum who get those jobs, and make alot us who do not do anything to anyone, absolutely sick.

The scum should look into there own lifes, they are the criminals.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Glenn Beck is finally giving this some much needed air time as I write this. Michelle Malkin is also getting on the ball with this issue. Finally! I say. I intend to keep the candle burning on this.

new topics

top topics

join