It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People who pretend to have cancer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   
I have a problem, one of my family members is pretending to have cancer, this person has conned family memebers and friends alike to give money, time, and sympathy. This person has had many chances to make amends for this terrible lie that they live, but they have gotten so deep they cant turn back now. This person has had the nieghbors cooking meals, and looking after their child under the assumption this person is very sick, I asked the place where Kemo is being taken, and upon checking with this faciltiy, the only record they had of this person ever coming, was for an MRI years before, I know this is not an isloated case as of recently the woman in Washington, who duped her co workers into giving her their paid leave, and donating money, only to find out they have been scammed, and this so called sick woman just disappeared. I dont want to let this one get by with the charades any longer.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by jalan1268

Then, speak up.

But, make damn sure that you are certain this person is not sick before you do. One call to one place isn't enough to verify your belief.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Brings back memories to a dutch politician, Tara Singh Varma, she did the same thing. It is apperently, or at least that is what I'm told, part of a pathological syndrome. It causes people to lie in order to get attention. Usually the cause is deeper, there is always an underlying problem for it. The problem is these people will sometimes actually believe that they really have this dissease.... it takes some very skilled people to deal with this (most of the time people need to be comitted for a while).

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I had a friend who did this recently. It was just after a break up with some SKANK (heroin addict, he can do much better than her) who ran off with his best mate. So i guess it was some sort of psycho sematic way of him deealing with it and getting sypathy from others. He got it for a while, but when we all found out he was making it up, he was shunned by most. (he was busted when one of his "chemo appointments" turned out to be him sitting in the pub all day long)

Firstly, be sure that they're fakin it, secondly, ask yourself why they're doing it, it could be because they have a mental problem of some kind. So best not jump in fists blazing just yet.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
My fault?? Not hardly,, I am just a sibling, who lives 2000 miles away,, I am just one of the many who has been lied to.. And I am damn sure this person is not stricken with cancer, this person has embezzeld money from an employer, stole money from other siblings, and has never been made to stand repsonsibile for their actions.. I dont know why this person is doing this other than for attention. This person would appear to have it all, a loving spouse, and a wonderful child. I have spoken up this person refuses to admit it, so their solution was to say that anyone who didnt believe them, they didnt need them in their life, I appear to be the only one who is willing to call this person out on their lies, all the other family memebers all agree this person is lying, its not too hard to find out info on anyone this day and age, and knowing Private Investigators makes it even easier to find out.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 09:57 AM
link   
jalen,
Welcome to ATS!

My suggestion is this: Start collecting physical evidence. Evidence that can be investigated and confirmed by anyone. Exposure is the persons biggest liability and that's why they say anyone who doesn't believe them can stay away. Well, of course they're going to say that.
The problem is that Doctor's info is 100% protected and that's what is going to be the 100% proof.

Good luck man, starred.
Cuhail

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Hello.

You said....

"I asked the place where Kemo is being taken, and upon checking with this faciltiy, the only record they had of this person ever coming, was for an MRI years before"

How would it be possible for you to get these document's ? Is this not private information ?

Take care.

Regards
Lee

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by h3akalee

That's what I was going to say. How did you manage to get private information about an MRI and about a persons medical history?

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I believe the OP said it was a family member. Maybe that has opened a door to information.
jalan- can you get that info from the imaging company? I mean, get it on paper that the person's visit was un-related to any claimed cancer chemo sessions? If you could get the info (i assume) over the phone, can you get them to fax you a copy?

Cuhail

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Cuhail

Without going into great detail medical document's are extremely sensitive.

And as such are kept private.

The only way i could see it taking place would be if the person relating to the document's (the person pretending to have cancer) gave his/her permission to the relative (the OP) to have access.

And even then there must be very specific procedures followed in order for them to be released.

And the process can be very complicated.

Make's this story VERY unbelievable for me no disrespect intended.

And to all those who are weak enough to pretend to have cancer this is my message to you.

You need a good football kick to the groin area and any time you mutter the word Cancer you should receive another kick to the groin area.

Then maybe you can understand a small fraction of the pain a person who has to suffer from real cancer is going thru.

No excuse mental or otherwise can justify it.

It is simply down to a lack of backbone.

Take care.

Regards
Lee

[edit on 26-3-2009 by h3akalee]

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by jalan1268
I asked the place where Kemo is being taken, and upon checking with this faciltiy, the only record they had of this person ever coming, was for an MRI years before

Hold on a second here, unless the patient has requested that you be privy to information in regards to any type of medical care, it was illegal for the place administering the supposed chemo, to tell you that this person has even been there for an MRI. The laws I am referring to are called HIPAA laws. If they gave you such information, and you are not entitled to it, they can be sued. I would tread extremely lightly with this one, and not tell anybody else that you have been digging around about this.

This is in the US, and you did not mention where you live. so your laws may be different.

The information you have that this person is suspect for making the story up is between the two of you right now, and you should confront the person yourself, before you make announcements to anybody else.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   
This is a very interesting "new" condition that has only caught my attention in the last 2 years.
I have heard from quite a number of people who have been manipulated by these so called "victims" who are "suffering" from Cancer in the last 2 years.
These people with "Cancer" are invariably women who rely an others to feel bad for them and give these "sick" people money, for their treatment, their drinking, their food, their "whatever".
In EVERY case, when these "Victims" feel they have pushed the envelope as far as they possibly can, they suddenly disappear and find other people in other places to exploit.
I'm not saying that cancer is not something to poo-poo, (my bro is currently suffering through Chemo and Rad treatments) or that those trying to beat it dont deserve all the support we all have to offer. But in my experience, (almost 50 years on this planet) everyone who is legitimately fighting cancer is doing it in a very documentable way.
I'm beginning to think that we are witnessing a different sort of disorder, not terribly unlike "Munchausens Syndrome" and those with this new aberration are simply looking for sympathetic attention and financial gain.
What say you, ATS?

new topics

top topics

join