It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cities Deal With a Surge in Shanty Towns

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Cities Deal With a Surge in Shanty Towns

www.nytimes.com

As the operations manager of an outreach center for the homeless here, Paul Stack is used to seeing people down on their luck. What he had never seen before was people living in tents and lean-tos on the railroad lot across from the center.

“They just popped up about 18 months ago,” Mr. Stack said. “One day it was empty. The next day, there were people living there.”

Like a dozen or so other cities across the nation, Fresno is dealing with an unhappy déjà vu: the arrival of modern-day Hoovervilles, illegal encampments of homeless people that are reminiscent, on a far smaller scale, of Depression-era shantytowns. At his news conference on Tuesday night, President Obama was asked directly about the tent cities and responded by saying that it was “not acceptable for children and families to be without a roof over their heads in a country as wealthy as ours.”

While encampments and street living have always been a part of the landscape in big cities like Los Angeles and New York, these new tent cities have taken root — or grown from smaller enclaves of the homeless as more people lose jobs and housing — in such disparate places as Nashville, Olympia, Wash., and St. Petersburg, Fla.

In Seattle, homeless residents in the city’s 100-person encampment call it Nickelsville, an unflattering reference to the mayor, Greg Nickels. A tent city in Sacramento prompted Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger to announce a plan Wednesday to shift the entire 125-person encampment to a nearby fairground.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit: title to same as source]
Headline: Please use the original story headline from your source.

[edit on 26-3-2009 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Would somebody tell me the last time you saw a kid sleeping under a bridge? I want to hear from somebody who's seen it!
Rush Limbaugh 25 march 2009

Perhaps someone should show that big fat blowhard this article. Actually the odds are there's one in his home town as well and he could very well drive right by it on his way to work spewing the vindictive he calls political commentary on the airwaves every day.

There have always been hobo jungles and the like but these tent cities are a beast of an entirely different color... many of these people... and it includes families... AND THAT MEANS WITH KIDS... have worked all of their lives... some blue collar... some white collar... who have fallen victim of this... so called recession and have lost their jobs and their homes... indeed most have lost everything...

and that blowhard poopah's this.

Lets be honest... when 100 to 125 people and more are living in a tent city its a depression.

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 26-3-2009 by grover]

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I would be glad to tell him, but the problem is that you cannot get by his call screen!
And to think I used to listen to this clown . I could be right 99.9 % of the time on a show also if I only took calls that I wanted to answer!
It's people like him that ought to be taken out and planted in one of those shanty towns and be made to help them in stead of making fun of them for being lazy. What a loser.
And the lazy part is from what he said a few months ago on his radio show.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
the only squatters-sites of tents & shanties i witnessed was in the dry riverbed of the Salt River in Phoenix, mid 1990s..

they were all older adults, well, at least no school kids...

mostly the homeless dope heads were the ones under bridges,

loners, went to outskirts of the cities & had large, makeshift
'residences' of combined tents/plastic tarps/blankers that covered
like 600 sqft of desert shrubland adjacent to some roadway & apartment complex.

setting up a shanty town at an old dump or deserted area has a requirement that the community officials supply porta-johns so
disease does not break out of the camp... otherwise, its OK by me.

all this scenario was during the Yuppie & 'Me' expansion of the economy,
so this current downturn has not created the subculture...
they are just more noticed nowadays

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I admit that I'm conspiratorially minded, but I can't help but think that these "shantytowns" are being manipulated and encouraged. Why? Because you have to create a real scene... a real Katrina-type tragedy of misplaced Americans, and get that stuff on every MSM outlet you can find. Then the average "folks" are going to parrot the President's “not acceptable for children and families to be without a roof over their heads in a country as wealthy as ours” line. They will begin demanding that something be done... with a healthy dose of "but not in my backyard" thrown in for good measure. Before you know it, the "perfect solution" will begin to materialize... perhaps FEMA should help!

And then it begins. How do you herd masses of United States citizens into camps without "spooking the flock?" You do it under the cover of "assistance" and "rescue." Load 'em up into these special people-mover traincars and ship 'em to the nearest facility. We'll have very full FEMA camps before we know it... and a slave labor force in place to build even more. Once those camps are established and in place, it will be very, very easy to dissapear whole families and hide "dissenters" in them.

Heck, it'll all be over before we know it... the government and the media will start to demonize this group and then that one and the sheep will be falling all over themselves to get those people in the camps next. Once all those domestic "terrorists" (damn Libertarians) and other free-thinkers are off the playing field, you won't have to round up any more. The cattle are now perfectly docile and ready to do anything asked of them.

Game over.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I sure wish I knew where I could build a home in a shanty town, that would be fun. A lot cheaper than the "normal" way.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   
These people are not winos or hobos or junkies... they are people like you and me for whom the bottom has fallen out.

If but for the grace of God there goes I.

A adage the mush loosebowels and the GOP would do well to remember.

new topics

top topics

join