It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

States Consider Drug Tests for Welfare Recipients

page: 22
<< 19  20  21    23 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Ban all drug testing! If I am fired from my job for a positive drug test result there will be no more of my tax dollars to put in a crack pipe! If hard working taxpayers have to keep clean to recieve a check the "voluntary" recipient of taxpayer money should have to keep clean to recieve one also. If someone doesn't want to be part of the drug free lifestyle maybe getting a job where drug testing is not mandatory is the perfect option! I cannot take a chance on losing my job if I want to smoke alittle weed once in a while, so as a responsible adult I dont. I do not mind helping people out when they need it, but I do mind someone else using drugs that my hard earned money bought!

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I agrre with the fact it could discourage some from getting financial aid they need, and making bad situation worse.

That would be a major mess up.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I posted earlier in the thread that this is a bad idea because, if things continue the way they are going, we are all going to end up receiving some sort of government aid, most likely in the form of nationalized health care. I stand by that position but would also like to add that drug testing welfare recipients isn't going to stop them from spending our tax dollars on malt liquor, cigarettes and lottery tickets. I propose we do away with all forms of welfare. Slackers and deadbeats are always going to find a way to abuse the system, so let's get rid of it. There are many charities out there, such as the Salvation Army, who are more than willing to help people get back on their feet. If people are truly charity cases, they should have no qualms in seeking this sort of assistance. If they aren't in fact charity cases and just want an unearned income at my expense, i say let them starve. Nobody is entitled to my the fruit of my labor but me.

TheAssociate

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   
[Post removed]

Mod edit: 1h.) Spamming: You will not post identical content, or snippets of identical content, to multiple threads in the discussion forums. You will also not create more than one thread for your topic, or create multiple "slightly different" threads for a single topic.

[edit on 4/8/2009 by Majic]

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 06:46 PM
link   
i am all for drug testing welfare recipients.
i am also aware that the drug laws are draconian and don't take into account lots of factors.
making certain drugs legal may help with this issue...

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by skeptic1

I agree as well.Good post(s&f),although we need to be sure they don't discriminate against legitimate narcotic prescription drugs(like Lortab(hydrocodone),Percocet(oxycodone)Xanax(Alprazolam),etc...)as a meaningful number of the population must take these drugs for pain relief fro ma number of chronic,non terminal conditions.

[edit on 4/7/2009 by jkrog08]

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   
The problem, as I see it, is that nothing is said about what would happen if a person tested positive. Would they just be dumped out of the program, denied any benefits? That would be a serious mistake, probably a dangerous one. It certainly wouldn't do the drug user any good - and it might cause positive harm to society.

If they propose to offer rehabilitation, then I'm all for it. Help these people get off drugs and stay off. If not, then they're only causing more harm to everyone.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 02:35 AM
link   
You are correct.

Keep 'em on welfare and drugs also.

Nobody ever took the chains off the animals to let them be captive.

[edit on 25-4-2009 by THX-1138]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I like this idea

really.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
OK ATS! Listen up! who has money for lavish coc aine parties? who just fleeced america then did it again via "welfare" bailouts ? How much did it all cost?
Now who needs drug testing? the freaking poor? or the ones that keep them that way
Oh and in my state they give a discount into the mmj program to the poor on assistance as it cuts WAY back on phamaceutical costs.How do you factor this? How do all you strident sheep blame the poor for this mess when the biggest "wefare" checks go to the rich.
Pathetic, inhumane and just plain narrow minded and eating the bull# feed from above this is.
yeah if a social worker thinks they're cracked out get them help,but this whole attack on the 4th and the poor is a time bomb for everyone of you loud mouths that can only look down and never bother to look up at the piss running down your neck!
Apologies for the outburst, but come on! how many of ya'll are one paycheck from poor? And how much did we just shell out to the richest bastards for screwing us?
I wish all of you who want to come down on the poor even more during terrible economic times could spend one month on the couple hundred a month in actual money a welfare client gets and get back on how much drug fun you think you can have.
IMO it is so pathetic that especially now that folks blame the poor after the rape of the economy by the uber rich.
Again, why no drug tests for the rich SOB's that just got a trillion bucks?
Oh yeah trickle down theory and all that. Well that trickle is the piss made from failed mortgages,medical bankruptcy and a host of other afflictions the "poor" have born for those rich bastards. So add some more to the load and make sure they stay poor and in line.
Welcome to Amerika bitches!
N.
P.S. That is real anger not fluff

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Here's my opinion on it... drug tests for govt. assistance for sure
NO drug tests for recruitment purposes however.

Canada is running well and fine there is no such thing in Canada.
When you tell a canadian that they do drug tests in the U.S. if you want a job their jaw drops and cannot believe it!

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   
What was my opinion before? I forget. It may have changed. This is kind of an old thread.

My opinion now is this:

End drug tests for employment. Any manager who isn't a bonehead can tell if somebody is showing up for work or a job interview while they're high. Whether or not they get high when they AREN'T working is nobody's business.

End drug laws, because the vast majority of the problems with drugs are the direct result of them being inaccessible through legitimate channels.

Make welfare recipients do community service and only provide benefits for the first two children. No more lifetimes spent mooching off of honest workers and giving nothing back. Work or starve. Deal with it.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
Here's my opinion on it... drug tests for govt. assistance for sure

Does that include the enormous amount of assistance which got flushed down Wall St.?
My assertion that drug testing begin at the top of the "assistance" ladder never seems to get addressed. However there is no shortage of people willing to look down the ladder and show such little charitable nature it seems like a lot of misplaced anger is being demonstrated.
Word up folks the poor are NOT the ones who are bring us down!
Also how do you suppose to factor MMJ into the whole scenario? How about the disabled?
How about the abysmal false positive rates and errors in drug testing?
And finally, one last time. Why not the biggest mouths at the trough first? The ones who can really AFFORD a drug habit.
N.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I'm sure there are plenty of addicts on welfare (really?), if you force random drug tests and cut off their payments they will find a way fund their addiction. Certainly not good for crime rates I'm sure.

Ps. Sorry if anyone has already posted what I've just said, didn't have time to read through the thread.. rhymes..

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

They trade food stamps for real cash... They will go to the supermarket with the other person load up a cart full of food and pay for it with the food stamp card. Then the person they were buying the food for will give them like half the cost or less of the groceries.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
If you are on welfare, how would you afford illegal drugs?

Just how many people that get welfare, can buy that stuff when they need food, and other things.

Can there really be that big of a problem of welfare people on drugs.

Umm... how would one afford drugs? How about dealing? Get a key from someone, cut and mark up and blawhammo- more dough. I KNOW people that do that... live in town-homes with a welfare check. Yeah, their check covers rent and EBD covers food but explain that Escalade and 'vette (both in someone else's name BTW) sitting in the driveway... can you?

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by aLiiEn

Originally posted by skeptic1
In my job, it is a requirement that I get tested on a random basis.
I have no problem with that.
Why should there be a problem with people who are being supported/partially supported by the tax-payers being randomly drug tested?

Another thing I would like to understand with you is this.
Why is it, because you are forced to pay an illegal tax on your income.
That you find people who don't earn an income to pay the tax on.
To be inferior to yourself?
And subject to additional "Measures".
Do you not understand, that everyone pays tax?
In some form or another?
People on welfare, pay tax, every time they buy something.
Food, cigarettes, alcohol, gas.
A crack head pays tax, on the crack they buy.
The CIA bring most of the coc aine into the country.
Just using paper money, you are paying tax.
The fact that you are being forced to hand over a chunk of your own hard earned money.
To an illegal private bank.
Does not constitute a reasoning for you looking down upon others, who are not so fortunate to even be able to have this money stolen from them.
I think you should understand this and possibly look into it.
Because, you are just the same as them.
You could be them, tomorrow, in the blink of an eye.
I think miss, that you should just be really really happy and glad.
To have a job to have money stolen from.

OOH... Everyone pays taxes.... whooo..... Ever hear of EIC and things like that? Things designed so that those earning the lowest income, and claim it, receive refunds EXCEEDING the amount they paid in.... Heard of that?

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
reply to post by skeptic1

Peope who are random drug tested at their workplace are done so as the effects of some drugs affects people's ability to perform certain duties / functions whilst in their place of work.
Pretty straight forward and understandable.
If those self same people use drugs in their personal / private life will it effect their ability to so the self same duties / functions?

If someone isn't working well the question is redundant.

It is the benefit system itself which allows people to abuse it that needs reviewing.
Nothing should be for nothing in this world.

Some drugs "affect" peoples' ability to work? Last I heard "all" drugs, legal or otherwise "affect".....
And what about those peoples' responsibilities at "home"? You've heard about that place, right? For years women have been suggesting that taking care of the "HOME" is a job not unlike working for pay, right?
So how do drugs affect the job of "taking care of the HOME"?

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by aLiiEn

Originally posted by skeptic1
I have an ego because I have no problem with meeting the terms of my job, which I am happy to have, and see no problem with random drug tests for people on the public dole?

No, you have an ego, because you think your job makes you better than other people.
When you are just the same as them.
What you think makes your whole entire life of slavery, so good, can be removed from you quicker than you can blink.
If you worked in a job, that didn't require these kinds of tests.
You wouldn't expect to be tested for them.
Yet all people receiving welfare, should be tested for them?
Is being on welfare, a high risk job, that requires these tests?
No, it is not.

Yes, welfare is, no wait... staying off of welfare is a high risk job. There is a high rate of recitivism among welfare recipients. Google it.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
Why would using 'illegal substances' seriously harm an individuals ability to job hunt when the vast majority of 'illegal substance' users successfully hold down jobs of all kinds?

Where are you getting your statistics from?
"Vast majority"? You're gonna need some proof here.

new topics

top topics

<< 19  20  21    23 >>

join