It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

States Consider Drug Tests for Welfare Recipients

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

I have been calling for this kind of action for years.

The community service idea you have is great.

It shouldn't be mandatory though, based on the 13th amendment:

Section 1. Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime where of the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

If there is someway to make it optional, highly encouraged, and provide incentives for it I think it would be great.

[edit on 26/3/09 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by aLiiEn

And, what does any of that have to do with drug testing people who receive state/tax-payer assistance?

They are no more and no less than people who have jobs that require random drug testing. Why should they be treated any differently?

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I agree with this policy. I can't hold a job without passing random drug tests, so why should some one receive welfare funded by my income taxes without being required to do the same.

In addition...I don't want them spending my income tax on drugs, especially when children are in the house that should be cared for with that money.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
Whether Cannabis shoud be legalised and then controlled like alcohol is an arguement for another time or place.

How is this relevant? How can people who get benefits on the government payroll, afford this anyway? For them to have traces of such things in their system, should preclude them from getting anything!

Of course if someone uses a little bit of weed then they should be restricted from performing certain jobs / duties, whilst under the infuence, if not under the influence then I personally don't see where the problem is.
Alas, as previously stated, that arguement is for another time.

Alas, you brought it up, and in my opinion, since we all have one, is that they should get nothing if they test positive. I don't do drugs, so why should somebody getting tax dollars from me be allowed to?

The whole benefit system needs reviewing, however, you advocate limiting benefits for those that don't fit into your particular opinion of how people should live their lives.

If they are getting tax dollars from me, or any of my relatives, then, yes, I do feel they should have to fit into the norm of what tax payers consider normal for how people's lives should be lived.

IMO, therein lies the problem with the benefit system and the issue that should be addressed, not the imposition of restrictions of free will.

You are free to do whatever you want, nobody is stopping you. It is your choice, but you shouldn't be getting paid to do whatever you please, with MY money, or anybody elses!

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 07:45 AM
link   
The system was originally designed as a safety net or a crutch if you will. Safety nets and crutches are temporary. The system is so bad that it has become a way of life for many of the recipients that have mastered the many loopholes within it. I don't know how they do it.

I received unemployment benefits several years ago after being laid off but, I had to jump through hoops just to get an occasional check. I documented every job search and interview I had and I even waited for my severance term to end before I could file. It was easier to land a job.

The abusers live more comfortably within the system than by actually working in the outside world. No job is ever good enough for them. If they would just harness the energy it takes to defraud the system and put it towards a real job they would probably do ok.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 07:46 AM
link   
While I don't agree with the Republicans on many issues I agree with this. If your a drug addict you need to get help not government assistance. I don't want my tax dollars spent proping up some junkie!

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrMattMaddix
Awesome post!

Now if we can get our elected officials taking drug tests too.

Star for you.

Not much more to add but I agree

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by skeptic1

Peope who are random drug tested at their workplace are done so as the effects of some drugs affects people's ability to perform certain duties / functions whilst in their place of work.
Pretty straight forward and understandable.
If those self same people use drugs in their personal / private life will it effect their ability to so the self same duties / functions?

If someone isn't working well the question is redundant.

It is the benefit system itself which allows people to abuse it that needs reviewing.
Nothing should be for nothing in this world.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Welfare isn't suppose to be a lifestyle.

If these people are receiving assistance, they should be out job hunting while on it. I'd say taking "illegal substances" would effect their ability to do that.

Yes, the system needs to be overhauled. But, the system doesn't need to be a safe haven for drug users, either. The taxpayers shouldn't foot the bill for their problem or their lifestyle.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by skeptic1
reply to post by aLiiEn

And, what does any of that have to do with drug testing people who receive state/tax-payer assistance?

They are no more and no less than people who have jobs that require random drug testing. Why should they be treated any differently?

Well it has alot to do with it.
You can read WHY it has something to do with it.
Or you can choose to deny it.
Im sure many people here will see the relevance in the content I posted.
I work with people who have no job.
And who have no home.
And I can assure you, plenty of people I see used to have ego's like yours.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by aLiiEn

I have an ego because I have no problem with meeting the terms of my job, which I am happy to have, and see no problem with random drug tests for people on the public dole?

Gee......I learn something new every day around here. :shk:

People from all walks of life are on public assistance. Some are on it due to hard times. Some are on it due to injury or disability. Some are on it just because they want to be. Some are on it because they can be.

Welfare is not a lifestyle. It shouldn't come without restrictions and rules. Drug testing should be one of those rules.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 08:02 AM
link   
To start.
Peoples medical problems, are private.
Tests like these need to be ordered by a court or a program dealing with people prone to these types of problems.
Or per application for employment.
For specific employment.
Saying all people from a certain group, should be tested for something based upon social euphoria.
Is Discrimination.
This is not to mention, from a pathology point of view.
The cost, and the holes that will form in such tests, from testing such a large amount of people for nothing.
These are personal tests, designed to find problems in people, and to stop other things related to high risk employment.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
If you are on welfare, how would you afford illegal drugs?

Just how many people that get welfare, can buy that stuff when they need food, and other things.

Can there really be that big of a problem of welfare people on drugs.

OH boy have you got a lot to learn,

They used to sell their food stamps for drugs, now with the link card they just go in buy the food and sell it, I used to know a crack head who would sell T Bones at the local bars, for crack.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by aLiiEn

Recreational drug use is not a medical problem, and if welfare recipients are using tax-payer money to buy drugs, that is a public problem, not a private one.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 08:04 AM
link   

reply to post by skeptic1

Peope who are random drug tested at their workplace are done so as the effects of some drugs affects people's ability to perform certain duties / functions whilst in their place of work.
Pretty straight forward and understandable.
If those self same people use drugs in their personal / private life will it effect their ability to so the self same duties / functions?

If someone isn't working well the question is redundant.

It is the benefit system itself which allows people to abuse it that needs reviewing.
Nothing should be for nothing in this world.

You say this based off of the presumption that weed should be legalised, that alcohol is just as bad, the stereotypical "legalise pot" point of view. However, this is government money. This is taxpayer money. The government says that drug usage is illegal, they list illegal drugs, and in order to receive their money, you play by their rules. Not too unfair, I don't think. Felons aren't allowed to receive welfare money, except in a few rare instances. There are exclusion factors based on criminal offenses, and I don't see why this cannot be one of them. I'd rather know for certain that my tax money is going towards a person who actually is trying to get a job to support a family, rather than leeching off the system to supplement a drug habit.

edit: Also, a compulsory serve-for-money program would not violate the 13th amendment, as it is not mandatory that they apply for welfare. There is no obligation for the government to provide welfare, nor is there an obligation for anyone to sign up for it.

[edit on 26-3-2009 by Highground]

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 08:06 AM
link   

So someone who likes a little bit of weed shoud be banned from state welfare benefits but someone who abuses alcohol or has been convicted of theft or other crimes should be allowed to receive them.
A bit discrimatory isn't it?

Yea, if they are buying their weed with my tax money, yea.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by skeptic1
I have an ego because I have no problem with meeting the terms of my job, which I am happy to have, and see no problem with random drug tests for people on the public dole?

No, you have an ego, because you think your job makes you better than other people.
When you are just the same as them.
What you think makes your whole entire life of slavery, so good, can be removed from you quicker than you can blink.
If you worked in a job, that didn't require these kinds of tests.
You wouldn't expect to be tested for them.
Yet all people receiving welfare, should be tested for them?
Is being on welfare, a high risk job, that requires these tests?
No, it is not.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 08:08 AM
link   
The government should put it to a tax payers only vote. Its our money they are giving away and drugs could hardly be argued to be a neccesity. It could lead to a reduction of welfare, freeing up more money for schools, hospitals etc.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by aLiiEn

Lets start drug testing Politicians and Police officers as well?
Or do you only get drug tested, based upon how you are judged and discriminated against by the wealthy elite pieces of garbage?

I agree with you there, my son who was a dish washer had to be drug tested but Dr. don't?

and i know about Doctors and drugs,

and politicians, they should be on the top of the list.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

Originally posted by andy1033
If you are on welfare, how would you afford illegal drugs?

Just how many people that get welfare, can buy that stuff when they need food, and other things.

Can there really be that big of a problem of welfare people on drugs.

OH boy have you got a lot to learn,

They used to sell their food stamps for drugs, now with the link card they just go in buy the food and sell it, I used to know a crack head who would sell T Bones at the local bars, for crack.

Nothing says yummy like buying a warm and raw T-Bone from a crack head.

Gotta love our system and those who attempt to defend its massive faults. This thread clearly illustrates the problems we have with our welfare system.

TEST TEST TEST. Weed out the abusers and save the tax payers hundreds of millions of dollars. There is your budget windfall Mr. President.

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join