It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

States Consider Drug Tests for Welfare Recipients

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by citizen smith

Originally posted by JMasters
reply to post by citizen smith

The Great Depression and welfare are two different things. Butter and a 4,000 television with a 2,000 surround sound system are different.

Again, same BS as gay marriage leading to animal sex.

They're one and the same...butter on the table in the 30's depression or widescreen TV today...when you're down and out, looking forward to the smallest of luxuries brightens an otherwise hellish day at the job-centre.

Butter is a staple. One can conceivably live without a surround sound system, the newest shoes that match their $50 hat, the huge TV, or the subs in their car trunks.

The intent of welfare is to purchase staples, to ensure that the person has a roof over their head, and has enough money to eat every day. I imagine, off of welfare alone, it's quite hard to stretch out the welfare check to support yourself. I implore you to answer how they're able to afford these things when they are living off of state money. There has to be some sort of secondary income, and if it's well enough to allow for the purchases of drugs, TVs, etc, they have no business on welfare. If welfare supplements the drugs or TV, or whatever, they have no business on welfare. Simple.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by DrMattMaddix

I do think elected officials should be tested. I am required to submit a drug test for every job I apply for, whether or not I get the job. I have a Class A commercial drivers license, and it's a federal mandate, that testing be done.

Those that we elect put these laws in place for the safety of me and those using the highways along side me. They also should be tested, if for no other reason than, if it's good for the goose, it's good for the gander.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Back in the depression days, butter was considered a luxury, but now is though of as a 'staple'

Originally posted by Highground
I implore you to answer how they're able to afford these things when they are living off of state money.

Easy...its called HP...living on the never-never

You order a TV on hire-purchase for £400 and pay off a few quid a week over 100+weeks

Never fell for that scam myself, but know of plenty who did

[edit on 27-3-2009 by citizen smith]

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by citizen smith
Back in the depression days, butter was considered a luxury, but now is though of as a 'staple'

I implore you to answer how they're able to afford these things when they are living off of state money.

Easy...its called HP...living on the never-never

You order a TV on hire-purchase for £400 and pay off a few quid a week over 100+weeks

Never fell for that scam myself, but know of plenty who did

[edit on 27-3-2009 by citizen smith]

Hire-purchase? Is that like a rent-to-own place over here? You basically pay a monthly fee to rent, and eventually it becomes yours?

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Highground

exactly that..

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   
People on welfare use that money for drugs, that is how they afford it. They take their foodstamp cards, sell it for cash and buy drugs, they cash their checks and buy drugs. Drug testing will be good I think because way more people then they think use this money for drugs. I have seen it first hand!

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   
If they did this in the UK at least half the people would fail the drug test.

And thats a fact.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by N.B.A.Y.S.O.H

And, I think that is the point.

Maybe there should be a two strike rule if this goes through as law. You get one freebie. Then you clean the hell up if you want to keep getting handouts from the taxpayer. Strike two, you are cut off from assistance.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Well let's look at it from a different angle,

I have family members who get food stamps, link card, whatever, and healthcare,

I don't have health care either.

I would have to be unwed with three kids to qualify.

My husband and I both work.

Now while I don't begrudge my family eating, let's take a long look, they do smoke pot and drink beer, I don't do either,

My tax dollars go to supplying their food, I see their cart heaping over with food, while my husbands tax dollars go to helping feed them.

Then I look at my cart with hardly anything in it and wonder if this is fair.

They have money for pot and beer, Maybe they should have to spend that money on food.

Life ain't fair in many ways.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by N.B.A.Y.S.O.H
If they did this in the UK at least half the people would fail the drug test.

And thats a fact.

Maybe if they got off drugs they would have the drive to go out and find a job.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by skeptic1

That could never happen or will ever happen IMO.

The way i see it welfare is there to stop people haveing to turn to crime.

But a high percent abuse it,there is a DHSS (welfare center) near where i live in london, on any given day you go past it there are at least 10-20 drug addicts milling about outside, there like zombies

[edit on 27-3-2009 by N.B.A.Y.S.O.H]

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

I doubt many have the insentive to get jobs when they get there rent payed,money each week plus free methadone etc.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by N.B.A.Y.S.O.H

The way i see it welfare is there to stop people haveing to turning to crime.

Yea that's a good one, little crack head Larry, sold his food for crack, then stole from his mother to get more, welcome to the real world.

Let me say I think helping people is necessary, but it is being abused.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   

I doubt many have the insentive to get jobs when they get there rent payed,money each week plus free methadone etc.

Is it just me or is the world going to hell?

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

Nah, I see it, too. Perhaps we're alone?

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   

It has always been abused and that is what has led to legislators contemplating this.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
The whole "Chav" thing in the UK is the welfare class.

In the UK there are whole houseing estates where every family on them is on welfare, and every member of a fmaily is claming the dole.

They go stright from school on to the dole and dont ever bother to get a job or look for one.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

Nah, I see it, too. Perhaps we're alone?

Yea, welcome to the nightmare.

You know if you don't know where your next meal is coming from it can be an incentive, sheeese.

I think generations of handouts have lead to people expecting a handout, what happened to standing on your own two feet?

I have been hungry, we hunted, we fished, we had a garden.

Once I had to go to a food pantry, never again, all I got was rotten fruit and veggies, and workers with a bad attitude.

I have three jobs, and use the money from two of my jobs to buy my art supplies to make money from the jewelry I make.

Sometimes you have to make a way.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by skeptic1

It has always been abused and that is what has led to legislators contemplating this.

Yes I agree.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   

The whole "Chav" thing in the UK is the welfare class.

In the UK there are whole houseing estates where every family on them is on welfare, and every member of a fmaily is claming the dole.

They go stright from school on to the dole and dont ever bother to get a job or look for one.

You know, if everyone got off welfare, there wouldn't be enough jobs to go around.

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join