It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Therapists offer gay 'treatment'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 06:23 AM
link   

Therapists offer gay 'treatment'

news.bbc.co.uk

Therapists are still offering treatments for homosexuality despite there being no evidence that such methods work, research suggests.

A significant minority of mental health professionals had agreed to help at least one patient "reduce" their gay or lesbian feelings when asked to do so.

The survey, published in the journal BMC Psychiatry and conducted by London researchers, involved 1,400 therapists.

Many were acting with the "best of intentions", said the lead author.

Only 4% said they would attempt to change a client's sexual orientation, but when asked if they would help curb homosexual feelings some 17% - or one in six - said they had done so.

The incidence appeared to be as prevalent in recent years as decades earlier.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 06:23 AM
link   
I find it slightly ridiculous that this still happens in this day and age.

IMO even if a "client" asks for treatment for "being gay" it is up to the health professional to explain that no such treatment is available, although it has to be said that treatment for underlying disorders that exacerbate such a want may be considered.

There has been a long running debate about sexuality, with some insisting that homosexuality is a "treatable" condition or is siimply a lifestyle choice.

It may be true that SOME people make a gay lifestyle choice, but in the vast majority, it is simply how they were born and what they prefer.

Explaining being heterosexual to a gay person is like trying to explain colour to a blind person, and vice versa.

It's about time we started to accept people for who they are and stop trying to stick labels on people simply because tey fall outside of what some consider the "norm"

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 06:25 AM
link   
I have this all my life, people trying to force you to go with females, and it drives you up the wall. More ffing scum trying to dictate how a person lives there life, and telling them who they are.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by budski

This will go on until the end of time.

As long as religion and other cultural aspects have as big of a hold on society as they do now, this will happen.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 06:36 AM
link   
This is the type of thing that makes me outraged. That these worms start chipping away at the dignity of minorities across the span of our nations history. Minorities MAKE America and not just that, there is precedence for respecting minorities on top of our rights given from the constitution, I think we as a society should get this settled properly, the right thing to do would be to treat these quacks like as if they were offering straight people help turning gay....because wouldn't that just be an outrage? As sad as that is I think it would be and it would bury these loons reputation forever.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Unfortunately there are some people that are uncomfortable with their own sexuality.
I think these people have a right to try out any treatments that may help them. As long as the therapists don't mislead their clients about the effectiveness of their treatments.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 08:05 AM
link   
I am surprised in this day and age of medicine that therapists couldn't make someone completely non sexual.

It should be merely an issue of hormones and neurochemicals. With enough research and development there could be a pharmacological solution to halt or change those chemicals in the body.

Ultimately I think this is a privacy issue, a person should be able to do this legally if they choose to. In the US at least this would be protected by the same right to privacy that gives women the the option to have an abortion. Don't get wrong I am not advocating abortion, I'm just saying people who want to alter or halt their sexual orientation through therapy and pharmacological methods, should have the same rights to privacy guaranteed by the US Supreme Court descision in Roe Vs. Wade.

new topics

top topics

join