It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An end to PC upgrades/new consoles in sight?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Whilst looking around various gaming forum's and sites I keep bumping into this
www.onlive.com...
They demo'd some stuff at the GDC show this week and it seems the technology actually works.
It's very dependant on your net connection and its unlikley us Euro's will see it for a long time but still, looks like it could be fantastic news.

For those who havent bumped into it yet, it's a technology that lets you play the latest games (on ultra high settings) on any old crappy laptop/mac that is capable of streaming HD content over the net.
The games take place on thier servers, and you just basicly recieve a video of feed (in HD) of the game from them. With your inputs being uploaded to the server and sent back with little latency.
Could be very cool. But theres no details on pricing or anything yet.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Great concept, I signed up for a beta testing. I was looking around but did not see any final prices on anything yet.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 08:56 PM
link   
It's a good idea. Sadly here in New Zealand Broadband is no-where near fast enough for this kind of service.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
A very nice idea. I also have signed up for Beta testing. I only have a DSL connection myself but we'll see what happens.

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Salamandrax

I heard about this and signed up also. The technology could be sold to a prospective buyer (ie. microshaft). It has been stated from Morgan Web on a G4 commercial that the new XBOX will NOT have Blu Ray or DVD for that matter. Meaning it will go digital download. But who wants to download a 30GB file? This could be the answer.

Let's also remember that Quake Live which is Free Browser play works pretty well, so does crappy Runescape HD. Coming up is Battlefield Heroes, you guys should sign up if you already haven't, its free!

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 02:43 AM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

Is this what your talking about?
Zeebo, the console for the poorer countries.
Well thats what they said on "The Gadget Show". (UK show).

I don't think it will be up to the standards of Xbox or PS.
It runs games on crappy equipment becasue they're probably crappy games.

Going by this video, it's up to the standards of N64 and PS1.

Before you start flaming I have just realised this isn't the "New Game Console" thread I thought it was, but never mind.

[edit on 4-5-2009 by Chukkles]

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 09:43 AM
link   

it's a technology that lets you play the latest games (on ultra high settings) on any old crappy laptop/mac that is capable of streaming HD content over the net.

So does that mean I can finally open my "Crysis" box?

Along with my AOE3 and Stronghold 2 games...?

top topics

join