It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Truth and Origins about Vampires, Werewolves and Zombies.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by debris765nju
reply to post by TheOmen

One of the little known stories of WWII is that of British soldiers hunting down and killing all the headhunters on New Guinea. They took exception to british soldiers being treated so cavalierly. Now those headhunter tribes have dress up contests, complete with makeup, paint, lots of feathers, etc. Mexico has become the headhunter capitol of the world....."you're not standing so tall now are you sucka!"

Do you have a source for this? Or is it just word of mouth?

tO

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Doubt it, some close friends of the family lived in PNG for a long time, apparently there was still cannibalism in some remote areas during the last quarter of the century. Vampires = nil though.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by TheOmen

Actually it was featured on discovery channel or one of the equivalent educational channels. It was a documentary.......i shall see if i can find it for you, it might have been Borneo???

[edit on 043131p://am3128 by debris765nju]

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by debris765nju

I would appreciate it if you could, would be a good read I think!

Cheers

tO

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 03:03 AM
link   
It is highly probable that everyone's (in the current generation) first contact in their life with a Vampire would have come from "The Count" on Sesame Street.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/adc8ab2ed8c1.jpg[/atsimg]

Although he is never fully shown as or referred to as one whom drinks blood on the show, the inferences are clear as day to adults.

Kinda interesting that Vampires are linked to the Bible. Does that mean Sesame Street is in some support of the Bible??

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nick_X
Kinda interesting that Vampires are linked to the Bible. Does that mean Sesame Street is in some support of the Bible??

Haha, Probably!

Actually it wouldn't surpirise me in today's world...

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Isn't there a rare disease that affects people to where they can not be in direct sunlight or they will burn badly? And I don't mean regular sunburn, but they actually blister within minutes? And another disease where people are allergic to water, even there own tears?

These things could have had a huge effect on people beliefs in the past, as far as vampires go, considering people used to believe sickness was caused by demons, fairies etc., until viruses and bacteria were discovered.

I don't believe any of these exist on any metaphysical level, but I always hope to be proved wrong, it would make life much more exciting.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by TheOmen

Headhunters kill people to get heads, for some reason known only to themselves. Well, to eat the people, probably.

Not, obviously, the job headhunters.

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ridhya
reply to post by debris765nju

Well thats not evidence of werewolves at Gobekli site, its merely evidence of wolves. Or dogs. Just because it bears a little resemblance does not make it a werewolf.
Not only that the Gevaudan wolf was assumed to be a regular (though huge) wolf... no evidence of it being a werewolf either... other than maybe saying it targetted humans, but human, cow, Id go for the humans too.

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I think a lot of these myths are a way to come to grips with and rationalize old fashioned horrific, but human, acts of extreme violence

serial killers can't be anything new to human behavior

now we explain it with psychology

maybe back then they expalined it with demons and magic

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOmen

Well Vlad the Impaler was reported to have drank the blood of the impaled victims. The modern idea of Vampires started in disease ridden Europe before modern medicine had discovered the science surrounding death. Many were declared dead when they were still alive and were buried in shallow graves, perhaps to awaken days later, claw there way out of their foot deep grave and wander about half-dead (only to be interpreted by any seeing them as Vampires)... There was a terrible fear of being buried alive, leading many of the upper class to have strings tied to bells attached to their coffins so that if they were buried alive and came to under ground they could ring the bell that was at the surface... So all this fear of disease and death lead to the Vampire hysteria and was later tied into Vlad the Impaler's legendary blood-lust.

Zombies are historically verified, certain toxins cause death-like symptoms in people only to have them come back to life. But the idea of souls returning from Hell to take up their bodies again or a virus causing a person to crave human flesh are the invention of Hollywood and other fiction...

Werewolves are an interesting thing, because shape-shifting into an animal or wild-man is a common theme in many cultures. I think the shape-shifting myths might tie into Jung's collective unconscious, as human beings went from being wild to becoming more and more civilized we likely held on to those deep-rooted animal instincts and feared that our wild side would rise again, hence all the legends and myths of men reverting to a state without language, morals, etc...

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Before humanity had medical science, people were sometimes buried alive. I suppose quite often they could not get out when/if they woke up, but sometimes they did. I have read some research the gist of which was that this was the origin of vampire legends.

There were also wasting diseases which were contagious and had a fairly long period after first catching the disease before symptoms started showing, and then it took a while to die. Think of something like tuberculosis - you get weak, pale, lose weight, and die.

One person in a family gets the disease and dies after passing it on to other family members who do not yet have symptoms. After that person is buried, the other family members seem to start getting sick. Now superstition and legends kick in .. scared to death, they dig up their dead relative to find that he hasn't decomposed as they expected, or they find "blood" around the mouth of the corpse (I forget the explanation but it has to do with fluids leaking out of the mouth after death) .. and another "vampire" is born.

Before there was medicine and doctors, people did not understand what caused illnesses and would try anything and everything to find the reason and fix it, and often the "reasons" they found were superstition and myth.

Lycanthropy has also been linked to rabies, as a person infected with rabies may begin to act like an animal before they die, even biting other people. There is also a rare condition in which people are born with hair all over their body and face, excepting only the palms of their hands and soles of their feet. Now we know this is a medical condition, but in ancient times you can see how a person covered completely with hair could be mistaken for a "werewolf."

Zombie lore may also have something to do with people who were actually buried alive and managed to escape their graves. Even if the person still had all of their faculties, the people who saw him "dead and buried" would be terrified and unable to understand what really happened.

Every once in a while in the modern world people wake up in morgues after having been declared dead, so surely you can see how this could have happened before modern medicine.

I do not mean to dispute or diminish your research and conclusions, I just think that pervasive legends and mythology may have multiple sources and are reinforced by situations such as those I've referenced.

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Just a correction the first vampire "myth" came out of ( you guessed it) Sumer. They are called Ekkimu, caused from violent death or incorrect burial. Described as being demonic, phantom like rotten corpses. They describe more accurately the supposed race of "Physic Vampire" tormenting their victim, feeding off their weakness and fear. The first written mention of the word vampire ( accepting translation as correct) is from Mesopotamia called Utukku cuniform translations have found them to be referenced as "vampyre which attacks man".

Good thread.

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Vampires are a combination of real folklore and artificially produced lore from films. The film industry borrowed heavily from traditional lore about fairies at the begining of the 20th century. Here are some wiki links to the more realistic origins of vampires, the realm of the fairies. The first is an Elf which was borrowed from Germanic folklore Der Alp.

And the ever popular Incubus and Succubus. The German band Xmal Deutschland released the Goth classic Incubus Succubus in 1982 which has been claimed to have kicked off the current pop culture craze of Vampirism.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I've never seen any convincing evidence that vampires or werewolves exist. There is the issue of the Michigan dogman. I can explain that easily. People say they are seeing wolf like beasts walking on 2 feet in Michigan. There is an animal known to science that fits the description perfectly. It's supposed to be extinct, but apparently it isn't. It's a Shasta Ground Sloth or a close relative of it. Check out the picture. They can walk on 2 or 4 feet. Now if you saw one at night walking on 2 feet, I'm sure the average person is going to think Werewolf.
The issue of shapeshifting is another possibility. Only ETs or spiritual masters can shapeshift. And they wouldn't do it to scare people. Real vampires don't exist. Some ideas about vampires may come from that disease Porferia.

www.tarpits.org...

www.examiner.com...

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 21-4-2009 by Sargoth]

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   
The great thing is ....you can quote this and quote that but in the end it doesn't matter because if you quote anything, there is a chance its still wrong even more so if you are using a point of reference that is over 100 years old. Its the telephone game all over again. You don't know what was originally said, it could have changed so much from what your reading and trying to interpret now. so as all things go, no one can prove anything exist or doesn't exist. because just saying something "isn't so" just because you've never seen it doesn't make it true. The way some people seem to get passionate about what is fact reminds be of people saying the earth was flat and I'm sure they had "proof" too.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
there are several explainations for werewolves and vampires;
1. in the middle ages or during the salem witch hunt, anyone who did somthing suspicious was sent to the stake without comments so the legends may have been made half heartedly for the popularity for the teller/ place
2.the secrets were lost during the middle ages or so
3.cannableism was rife juring the the middle ages
4.unusualy big animals, wolves etc were rifw because of the amount of dissaperiences of the middle ages

and alot more take ur

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Sargoth

Just for a bit of clarification..

...so, "spiritual masters" who can "shapeshift" exist, but vampires don't?

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOmen

Hi,
Thought I would check in with what I see in the memories of the racial unconscious about these beings.
Did a shaman journey about 8 or so years ago and the old Indian fellow on the higher plane told me that all I need do was ask, and they would send the information about it to me, and sure enough, since then, I ask, and I usually get pretty complete answers about just about anything, but the area of most interest to me has ended up being the actual history of earth, humanity and various alien visitors and residents of earth.
Also in this case, I met a fellow who's spirit origins were that of a vampire, and I was able to get a clearer picture of the whole vampire energy being thing because I could trace his energy path back thru time so I have that info on top of the info coming from the racial unconscious.
Anyway, what I have seen about vampires is that they came to earth with one of the large whale species (imported by the terraformers of this world after they killed off the dinos with that asteroid); they were mostly energy beings connected to a virus, who had a symbiotic relationship with the whale and helped them make decisions, move more quickly, and kept them company.
The humans caused their whales to go extinct and in retaliation, they have made the leap to infecting and 'riding' humans and have become not very nice in the process; the biting is necessary to spread the viral component. Whether or not the person dies, is based on how much blood they take and if they want to infect that person, to make a jump into that body. Some times they would just infect the person without any vampire spirit to cross over, but the virus itself could attach it's self to the victim's spirit and create a new vampire. I think that is how they reproduced. Since this is just now something I am asking about it isn't quite clear yet.

And since their viral component lived in the whale's body, they got their nutrients from the whale's blood directly, versus having to go out and hunt up their own, so that is how they prefer to get their food still, just as they did while in the whales. And it seems a human body isn't big enough to supply all the nutrients they need so they have to get supplemental nutrients from other sources.
I think they could live on other kinds of blood besides human, but their rage at the murder of their companions, the whales, keeps them attacking and punishing and killing humans instead.
I see the werewolf being as an alien infection also, but i don't see any sentience attached to it. How fully it 'transforms' the humans into wolfs is questionable to me as well. What I see is mostly it makes the back round over so the individual must use their hands to keep from falling over and it causes huge amounts of hair to grow. I think it interfers with cognitive and speech function also.
That they are infections would also explain why silver bullets and silver crosses work to keep them at bay and kill them. Silver is one of the most powerful anti-pathogens out there. Kinda nice to know it works on alien virus as well!

But sorry, no pictures. Just what I see in the memories of the racial unconscious.
The zombie explanation seems fairly much in synch with what I see out there. Neuro toxins, brain damage etc.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 08:23 AM
link   
I have never thought about those things in that way. Don't take me the wrong way I knew these things have never existed (From the time I was around 10 at least..lol) But you shed a whole new light upon me...

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join